Multiplex Flamingo Contest

Gary B

It's getting there.

Your wing joiner system looks different to mine, is it  a large steel bar?

Not sure if you know but the wings unlock by using a plastic wedge, there are different grip levels available for the fasteners.

Cheers

Gary

Andrew Reid

Hi Gary

It's a large round steel bar! 

Didn't know about the unlock wedge what's it like Gary and do you know if you can still get them? 

It might be a later version than mine which has the common two thin steel blade joiners in brass boxes with a central clamp screw or it was modified.

It's probably why there was no anti-crush dowel, I wouldn't expect the wings to swing forward on landing with a large steel bar joiner. All the cracking is probably from a proper hard landing.

The wedge is the red plastic job here, you get one free with every set of locks, it's slightly curved like a caravan wheel chock (flat on one side, concave on the other). The male part of the lock comes in three different diameters that determine the grip strength.

The wedge is nothing special, you could make one out of ply or a scrap screwdriver etc. There is a chance of damaging wings without using the wedge, especially built up ones so I always grip them on the spar and not the D box sheeting. Use the wedge as close as possible in front or behind the lock, it should let go with a 'pop'.

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Yes, Andrew's Flamingo is a Mark two, with a ( I think) 10mm steel joiner

I find it interesting that MPX kept the blade system for many years, but, as far as I remember, although MPX designed the round bar system,  it was Tangent who began the use of it soon after the takeover/ selloff

Even more interesting, to me anyway was the way Tangent introduced a fully-floating round MS joiner soon after...….hated by owners that had "graduated" from Mark 1's these FF joiners were a real pain.....I was particularly annoyed when doing a fast, low pass, my ears were assaulted by a metallic rattling sound, caused by the FF joiner "floating"!

Apparently, it was introduced to copy full-size practice, but, personally, I'd never seen  a full size with nylon or plastic wing locks(!) and, even more oddly, the ritual of taping up all the gaps on the full-size would have copied what we all used to do on our Alpina Mk 1's...….  which was to put two layers of white electrical tape over the joins at the wing root/fuselage root which was only dislodged by a hard landing, a deliberate weak point that saved many a Mk 1's leading edges from damage:thumbsup:

I just don't know how many times I flew my Mk 1 into the long grass of the landing area on the Beacon, carried it back to the pits and saw that the only thing broken by the high-speed arrival was the electrical tape dislodged from the root(s) join, which was remedied in five minutes.....loosen the locating screw, push the wings back into contact with the roots, apply two layers of tape, pick it up and...... chuck it off the hill again! You couldn't do that with the "plastic poppers"!

I was always intrigued when I saw a "For Sale or Wanted" ad on this forum for an Alpina, which always seemed to be specifying their need for a Mark One, NOT a later version:yes:  :)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• 1 month later...
Andrew Reid

Just an update and photo fus just about there! Wings stripped ready for covering and tail feathers just to strip

IMG_20200721_153600.jpg

• Like 1

Andrew Reid

It's just hobby King's used it on several models not just gliders find it OK! But some will say Oh no use expensive stuff? 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a couple of days.

I'm hoping to use Hobby King white (lots of it) on a current project, it's out of stock so I've set up an alert to notify me when it is in stock.

Great, thanks for the tip off, it was on back order when I looked a couple of days ago, they were supposed to notify me when it was back in stock.

I've ordered two rolls from the EU warehouse, bought four servos as well from a UK company, an expensive day!!

Does the film come with instructions, iron temperature settings etc? Can you see the wing veneer grain through it?

Graphics look great, how did you do them, Solartrim?

Cheers

Gary

Andrew Reid

Gary it doesn't come with instructions or heat settings after you start to use it play about with the heat settings on your iron! 

I tend to have the setting slightly cooler than with solarfilm and it is more like orafilm so you don't see any grain! 

Okey doke, cheers.

Did you cover it with the airbrake blades fitted or removed? I have refurbed a pair of wings and closed the airbrake gaps up to almost nothing.

20200719_162541057_iOS.thumb.jpg.7cf8b93def35610e3e7406874497caa0.jpg