New F5J build

Tone-the-glider

Tone-the-glider

Hi I am Looking for advice on brushless motor please

I am currently building a 4m span f5J model, it will come out empty at 1.5Kg.

The fuz at the nose is maximum of 28mm diameter so I am looking for an inrunner motor to fit, and run on 3s LiPo 1300mAh 40c

I have come across the  LBP2850-3.5T 2060KV Inrunner Brushless Motor (4 pole) Leopard Hobby, at what seems a reasonable price.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/lbp2850-3-5t-2060kv-leopard-inrunner-brushless-motor-4-pole.ht

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this motor and setup please?

Regards

Tony

I think you would want a geared motor - the one you have the link for has a very high Kv - theoretically it would run about 24,000 revs with a 3S, which would mean a tiny propeller and poor efficiency.

Talk to Neil Jones at Flight Tech (see BARCS Vendors) or look at Hyperflight, e.g. this is a suitable one from them: https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=PL-MICRO-1025-F5J&name=powerline-micro-1025-f5j

Neil Jones has the excellent Reisenauer Motor/Gearbox combos - I use thes in my F5J models.

Simon

Oh the other place that is pretty local to you is West London Models - they have a large range of Hacker motors including gearboxes.  They should have something suitable.

Simon

• Committee Member

Good advice. 

A run thru. a calculator shows the motor would  pull 80+Amp on a 3s 1600 lipo with a 10 x 4prop.

A 1500g model with a wingspan of around 3.8mtrs would clime at approx 1200ft.min

The motor case temperature is predicted to exceed 97C after 30sec

The motor weighs 145g and this along with an 80A esc will require a short nose to balance the model.

Tone-the-glider

Interesting.

The Model manufactures recommend a

Mega ACN 16/25/4 F5J with this specification.

for F5J models up to 2 kg
Dimensions: 28 x 46.5 mm
Weight: 120 g
Shaft: 5 mm
Rotation: 1165 Kv
Max. Current: 25 A
recommended air screw: 10 x 6 "- 11 x 5"

11.V lipo

Problem is I cant find a UK stockist, (very reluctant to buy from overseas) and I was also hoping to cut down on cost as much a possible.

Flightech sells geared inrunners with the reisenaur gear box.

Something like 400watts will be ok for thatc weight.

Geared outrunners are an option as well. Obviously the gearbox diameter is less than the motor itself. So you can have a small 28mm outrunner.

• 1 month later...

I realise that I’m a bit late and the discussion has ended but I was going to start my own thread asking about motors and found this.

I have just got myself a Claymore F5J which has a very narrow nose. ~28mm. There is a ready made motor and gearbox combo designed to fit but it’s expensive. I’ve looked for cheaper alternatives and found a Hacker A20 I think it was. It seems the exact same as the OE unit. 

Anyone know if that’s the case?

Any other options? I believe the model is just shy of 2kg and 4m. 

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

i use a Powerline 1025 in my Euphoria and that weighs just over 2kg.

its not cheap though, about £275 I think, Hyperflight sell them.

Richard

• Like 1

• Committee Member
44 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

cheaper alternatives and found a Hacker A20 I think it was. It seems the exact same as the OE unit.

Not the same motor/gearbox as far as I know.

The Claymore motor is a HET on a Reiseneaur 5/1 gearbox. which has a 6mm output shaft

The Hacker has a Maxon gearbox 4.4/1 with a 4mm outputshaft  and is about 30g heavier than the HET.

Also from what I can remember of the Claymore F5J fus, I think you would have difficulty mounting the  Hacker because the outrunner motor wires will be a very tight fit inside the fus.and not easy to stop them touching the rotating motor can.

The Powerliner 1025 wires come out of the rear of the motor which is an inrunner, the motor and gearbox weigh about 100g and the shaft is 5mm diameter.

Richard

Richard,

The Powerline is way over my budget :(  I should be able to sort something with regards to the wires. I must admit though, I dropped the ball, I was originally searching for geared inrunner motors. When I found the Hacker I didn’t realise it was an outrunner...

oops!

Not really, Steve :( 
That glider in the RCGroups thread has a much bigger front end. He's using a 28mm motor with space round the entire can at the nose! The Claymore is much tighter, it looks like you don't even get a full 28mm until further back, so there is a need for a spacer or gearbox.

Tony

Speak to Neil Jones at Flightech.

He stocks the HET motors with Reisenaur gearboxes and are extremely well engineered.

In runner motor so wires come out of the back of the can.

I use this combination in my Xplorer fuselage which is quite narrow. With the correct prop you can get 500W which will be more than enough.

• Like 2

Hi Tony

you can get a out runner with gear box in the fuz with a 32mm dia spinner 

it sounds like the front end hasn't been cut back enough is should be 32mm spinner 

I've runner a turnigy on a 5-1 gearbox  and a hyperion with the same gearbox I've not had a issue with the wires use the spring

fitting a out runner  you have to make sure that the wires are on the bottom of the fuz and use a spring to hold the wires down you can find them here https://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=2006 or make one 

also make sure that the firewall cant come out as it spins the motor and gear burning out the motor (Yes it happen to me after a hard landing)

Rick Lloyd

• Like 1

You can get a 28mm outrunner in a 32mm nose if you cut a slot/holes in the fuzelarge and run the wires out and back in.  Purists will cring at the sugestion, lots of drag? . . . OK so what are we to do with the dirty great 16" and more, often paddle bladed props, down the side of the fuz!!  An NTM 2836, 1200kv will produce 530w, thats on 4 cells, however, 3s will do a job, say 400w on a 12 or 13 even 14" prop . . . the trick is to use narrow bladed props, Grupner range are good.  NTM's are cheap at around £13'ish?  I would be looking at a 13x8 or 14x7-8, but be carfull to watch the amps on the watt meter.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/prop-drive-v2-series-2836-1200kv-530w-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

An alternative  is a Hacker A20-6XL with gearbox, £130 from Wes London Models.£127.00

https://www.westlondonmodels.com/Electric/Motors/Hacker-A20-Geared/Hacker-A20-6XL-Geare.asp

Compromises, the NTM has a 3.17mm shaft, the Hacker is 4 or 5mm?

The Hacker weighs 130grs, NTM is 82grs.  Having used both, I like the Hacker a lot but that price tag gives me a sharp intake of breath, however if I had too . . . ?

Lots of ways you can cut this cake, but I object to paying such a large amout for an item which is not critical to the final performance of the glider, the motor is nothing more than a launch facility, not even required to get to 200m in these days of F5J.  I cant stress enough, 'narrow blade' prop, reduces stress on the motor, potentialy createing less drag from the shorter narrower folded blades.

The above are my personal preferances and findings on reserch with practical experiance of dealing with these rediculusly small fuzelarge noses.  To the point, I will not buy a model that has these silly dimentions, 32mm is my limit, and prefering 38mm.

CJS

CJS,

Would you be happy to use the NTM motor direct drive?

I'm not sure what diameter the nose is. I think the guy I got it from said it took a 32mm Spinner but I think it’s more like a 28...

I went for the Hacker, the gearbox should be a nice spacer up to the nose. My 32mm motor that was the original plan has no chance of fitting at all!!!

Tony