New F5J build

Tone-the-glider

Hi Tony, yep, direct drive in most of my models over the past 5 years, occasionaly one has gone GB but only if I have no option, a last resort.  Some times one needs to jugle a bit, accept that the smaller higher reving prop is less efficient, always use a 65c (constant output) battery, you will loose out on lower 'c' ratings.  The HTM is one I am thinking about putting in my current 3.5m new build, I have a stock of verious DD 28's and 35's all have been or are destined for use in gliders as and when.

The watt meter is your friend, do not exceed the motors max amps and allow an extra 10 amp safty margin at least on the ESC.  Any doubdts in your mind go Hacker A20, its a top motor.

I mentioned 4s, I play that game too, I will be putting a 4s Bolt 850mah 65c in if I use the HTM.  Size and weight matches a 3s 65c 100mah battery.  So what I do is my own thing, occasionaly accept compromises but enjoy my flying as economicaly as possible, thats what its all about.

. . . Mmm, I have to back peddle a little, I have just read your first post again . . . Dry weight 1.5kg, 1300mah 3s 40c . . . That puts a '?' over the HTM, the final flying weight will be nearer 1900/2000grs you will need 4s powering the HTM with a large diamiter fine pitch prop, only watt meter testing will give you the right combination.  Moving the Hacker into number one spot.  This kin'da explains why I keep away from 30mm noses.  My models in that weight range are/were 38mm and use 35 DD.

A thought, cutting the nose a little shorter, but it depends on the profile to give 36-38mm.  This of course depends on your experiance and confidence?

So Yes Tony, tossing it all in the air, I think it would come down a bit of a lemon squeeze . . . 'Hacker 20A' . . . and all the flexabuility you will need for future model powertrains.

CJS

The OP here isn’t me!
I was going to start my own thread but I saw this and just tagged in...

My glider is a Claymore. It’s got a real thin nose. So thin and tapered that I wouldn’t gain any meaningful extra diameter unless i came WAY back, but then is kind of an oval/egg shape that isn't suited to DD motors at all.

I’ve ordered the Hacker now. More expensive I know but It’s got better specs. I’ll need all the help I can get because mine is ~2kg and ~4m. Certainly the one of the biggest I’ve got :blink:

I too plan on using Bolt HV batteries but only 3S 850mAh. 

Tony

35 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

You either have to go with a motor/gearbox setup, or, just a motor with a smaller prop from the start.......which A20 have you bought?

I did get one with a gearbox. I compared a few different types, read reviews and worked out which should be best :) 

Tony