Sign in to follow this  
Gunnergolly

Stork 4 flap alignment.

Gunnergolly

Hello

A very small job to many of you but would just like a bit of advice on the best way of realigning the flap on my newly built Stork 4..

The Stork is second hand and has been in storage for six years and was never assembled. I have noticed that the flap has dropped about 1mm and is not aligning with the outer wing panel, purely cosmetic but it's bugging me :whistle:.

I am thinking about detaching the flap by cutting along the hinge line with a sharp knife about 20-30mm where the flap hinge has dropped, realign and then glue with Geocel. 

However i am wondering if it is really necessary to cut the hinge, maybe instead just realign and then Geocel. 

Appreciate your thoughts.

DSC_0341.thumb.JPG.1b0bd94346668ff1e826f7912d1ed6bd.JPG

DSC_0350.thumb.JPG.8b490bd9902d0a3bca4c52bbf9641da0.JPG

DSC_0343.thumb.JPG.a3770405dc43587262b01035a5784a3b.JPG

DSC_0348.thumb.JPG.539eb24e5bc65a310ba628964385dc4a.JPG

Regards

Chris.

satinet

If it's just dropped on the hinge and not warped then i would do it. Otherwise you won't be able to sleep at night thinking about it. 

Gunnergolly

Your right it's causing me sleepless nights !!! :)... 

A very slight amount of force is required to push the flap back into position and i have never used Geocel before so i don't know how well Geocel will hold against a slight shear force.

Just wondering if it would be better to cut along the hinge line first where it has dropped, hopefully removing that force and making Geocel's job easier.

satinet

I think you're right. Geocel will hold it in place if there is no hinge

Dunno against a bit of. If you dont hand to cut the whole flap it's not hard to do it.

Gunnergolly

I think i might just compromise and maybe just score the hinge line with a knife about 30mm to try a remove some of the (slight) force that is pushing the flap out of alignment and then Geocel it. It's just the extreme outboard end of the flap that's dropped due to the weakened hinge, the rest of the flap looks ok. 

Anyway i'll crack on with it tomorrow and find out what the results are in two days time as it's saying in the Geocel instructions that it takes two days to set and must not be disturbed in that time. 

I'll go and find some clamps :)...

Thanks...

PeteMitchell

I have repaired this sort of problem with epoxy.

I run epoxy into the area that has 'peeled' away being careful about any excess running all over the place.

Then cover the outer surfaces with something non stick and weight the glued area down onto a flat surface.

Use as much weight as you can concentrate onto the damaged area, or use clamps keeping the repaired area  flat and in line.

When cured, I file along the hinge line to get free movement again.

I  have found that it is not a good thing to cut the live hinge material.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Gunnergolly

Thanks Pete 

Unfortunately under close examination the live hinge had cracked in a small area so i have cut about 15mm and used Geocel to reattach that area.

It has now been clamped straight using a ruler which in turn has pushed the flap up about 1mm and will have to wait a couple of days to see what the results are... fingers crossed that it turns out good ;).

DSC_0355.thumb.JPG.a7b84870c5a383c9018ab98318177165.JPG

isoaritfirst

So how did it go?

Gunnergolly

It's better then it was, after i had released the clamp pressure the Geocel allowed the flap to spring back a little and it is now around 0.5mm out. In hindsight i should have "over" clamped it so that when it sprung back it would have aligned itself better so i might have another go at it one day.

Anyway after being kept unbuilt and in storage for six years the Stork IV has finally had her maiden flight, she's a good one, requires a bit of further tuning but overall i'm impressed.

• Like 1