Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

Wildthing 60" refurb

Darren_O

Bought an old WT60 off ebay cheap, covering was pretty much perished so I thought I'd spruce it up:) 
First off was stripping the old covering off, messy job that I had to pinch her hairdryer for. Decided to stiffen it up a little, the WT60 is a little bit limp, which if you are bouncing it regularly off the rocks is great as it will bend instead of breaking. But I wanted something with a stiffer wing as I fly the Orme and it's rarely under 20+. So where the original main spar slot is cut I pushed 6mm flat carbon into it with gorilla glue and then glued a 6mm flat spar over the top as a cap to join the two strips.

I've also put 6mm flat and 4mm flat carbon strips on leading and trailing edges. Taped these down and utilised some old Stephen king books to ensure it all stayed flat whilst the gorilla glue set.

IMG_20171014_222235249 (1).jpg

IMG_20171014_222258851.jpg

IMG_20171017_170431545.jpg

IMG_20171017_185709841.jpg

Darren_O

I decided to use Lam film to recover instead of tape. I'm just not a big fan of tape and I wanted to get some practice in with lam film. I couldn't find any rolls locally so I got some giant pouches. They're 300 mic thick. Very tough stuff and no good for curves, but the WT is quite a simple wing. I used 8 sheets in total so about 4 pouches on the wing. 20p each. 

I tackled the bottom first, overlapping leading and trailing edges by an inch. I also overlapped by 2 inch at wing edges and by 4 inches in the middle.IMG_20171018_205616492.thumb.jpg.1c726466399d0b6edcda3717aec79fd8.jpg

IMG_20171018_205610315.jpg

Darren_O

Once the wing was done I had a good look at the fuse, it's not particularly rounded but I still didn't fancy my chances with 300 mic film so I switched to 175. This was much easier to mould around the corners although you still don't really get any shrinkage. I have reinforced the bottom with a strip of 300 mic to protect it from scratching on landings.

Next up will be the elevons, not sure whether to go with balsa or liberate a for sale sign and use correx again. Also wondering about putting some colour on this. I quite like the black if I'm honest....

IMG_20171018_205700760.thumb.jpg.2c3a8045c553302adc9538e59ec8d109.jpg

Darren_O

Well after the storms I found a for sale sign blowing in a hedge...so correx is being used. Strip of carbon down the edge to keep it straight, going to tape them up with black tape just to protect against UV. Made them a bit bigger than originals. 

IMG_20171021_215942324.jpg

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Darren

I make my carry boxes out of Correx from estate agents signs:thumbsup:

I think I'll have a wander around the estate when the rain showers stop, and see if I can find a few to recycle in hedges or car parks....I'm running a bit low on stocks at present:) 

Pete

BARCS1702

satinet

Are you going to do anything over the lam film? I profilned my m60, which you've seen, but it was a bit of mission due to bubbles. 

Should go well up the big hill.

isoaritfirst

Lightly spraying the laminating film   With 77 spray then put the pro film on without any heat but using a credit card to squeeze the air out as you lay it on, works well. 

Finish the covering on both sides Then warm gently and rub hard with a rag while it cools. Seal edges with a bit more heat. 

Finally heat again if needed. But adding too much localised heat can cause bubbles. Try to heat it as little as possible. 

If you do the first lay down onto the 77 spray well it requires very little shrinkage. 

• Like 1

Darren_O

Seen that 77 spray in my local office supplies shop. Is it supposed to be £15 a can and is it THAT much better than a generic spray adhesive?

Darren_O
On 22/10/2017 at 10:22, pete beadle said:

Hi Darren

I make my carry boxes out of Correx from estate agents signs:thumbsup:

I think I'll have a wander around the estate when the rain showers stop, and see if I can find a few to recycle in hedges or car parks....I'm running a bit low on stocks at present:) 

Pete

BARCS1702

I know, I have a lovely one for my Banana wing that you made :)

Darren_O
On 22/10/2017 at 11:09, satinet said:

Are you going to do anything over the lam film? I profilned my m60, which you've seen, but it was a bit of mission due to bubbles. 

Should go well up the big hill.

I'm quite liking the all black look...never flown anything black before. Could be a reason why nobody else does....

Elevons finished and hinged. Fin and electronics tonight.

IMG_20171022_222528109.jpg

satinet
1 hour ago, Darren_O said:

Seen that 77 spray in my local office supplies shop. Is it supposed to be £15 a can and is it THAT much better than a generic spray adhesive?

It has the fine mist you need. I used spray mount on my m60, which i had in the office. 

77 is expensive unless you have several epp models. I've got two cans but the nozzles are blocked.

• Like 1

Darren_O

Servos, batt and Rx in. Fin cut and balsa wedges made.

Ready to go! Flight report Wednesday if the forecast is accurate. Once settled I'll be fitting a camera to it. 

IMG_20171105_205420216.thumb.jpg.3369cabb51ee25038b82f98d29eb33f3.jpg

IMG_20171105_201939304.jpg

• Like 1