Dave Elam

Tim Shaw

Dave Elam

I'm sorry to have to inform everyone of the very sad news that Tim Shaw passed away yesterday in hospital. Tim who was only 58 had been suffering from esophageal cancer since March this year. Despite this he had still been a very active flier, up to 3 weeks ago, mainly from the club flying field where access was easy. Unfortunately he wasn't really strong enough to get up to the slopes, which is the past was probably his main form of flying. Sadly over the last few weeks his health declined and he was admitted to hospital just over a week ago. I went to visit him and despite him being very weak and poorly he could still chat and have a bit of a joke about things.

Tim had been a very active member of HDMAC and over many years he held various positions on the committee and was Chairman for quite a while too. More recently Tim was made a Trustee of the Club's main fixed wing flying field, known as the Whams.

Many on here will know Tim from when he was a keen EPP60 competitor and also doing the occasional F3F event. We used to share the journey to events further afield than where we live. Tim was always my 'go to' caller of choice whenever I was in a 60" race as he was someone I could trust implicitly to make the right quick call. He was also incredibly helpful with existing and new members alike. A keen 'old school' builder he had recently developed renewed interest in IC aerobatic models building quite a few various scaled down F3A classics. A few weeks ago the club hosted a UKCAA Classic Aerobatic event and Tim entered and was delighted to gain 3rd place with one of these models. He was a very good flier, whether it was powered fixed wing or on the slope.

It is now going to always feel very strange visiting my flying sites as Tim was pretty much a permanent fixture and could always be guaranteed to be there come rain or shine.

Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.

• Sad 6

isoaritfirst

Thanks for letting us know Dave. Sad news indeed. 

MattyB

Very sorry to hear that Dave. I only met Tim a few times at EPP60 races, but he was always a skilled, generous and knowledgeable competitor in the eyes of this tyro! A sad loss.

Greg Dakin

Very sorry to hear this news. Tim was an absolute gentleman and a great ambassador for our hobby. 

RIP Tim.

Dave Elam

Tim's funeral was last week and was very well attended by both family and many of his friends, especially from the world of aeromodelling. Tim was a great lover of guitars and music so it was fitting that the opening music was 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond' by Pink Floyd. Throughout the service references were made to his love of model flying and also fast cars.

For several years Tim had been working as a hearse driver and it was mentioned that while on duty, with a box in the back, Tim's driving was exemplary. Once the service was over however it was often rather different. Powerful and fast vehicles are those hearses! Tim often enjoyed shocking fellow drivers at traffic lights with his rather un-hearse like accelaration! It was fitting therefore that the closing piece of music was 'Bat out of Hell' by Meatloaf.
He left us as he lived with us, with a mischievous grin on his face!

He will be sadly missed.

RIP Tim.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dave Elam

Saturday was a day of mixed feelings as I helped our sadly departed friend Tim Shaw fulfill his last wish. This was that his ashes be scattered from a glider onto his beloved Tinkers slope site.

I was told about his wish from his wife soon after his passing and she asked me if I could make it happen. I promised her that by hook or by crook Tim would have his final wishes met.

Obviously for such a procedure permission needs to be obtained from a landowner and fortunately the owners of Tinkers were both very obliging and sympathetic with the request and even offered to move any livestock away which may cause problems for us.

What was then required was a glider capable of carrying a payload of ashes and a way of releasing them. Fortunately there was a very old glider which was gathering dust and cobwebs in my dad's shed. I designed and made this glider back in the late 70's so its wide boxy fuselage was ideal for the task of carrying ashes. It didn't take too long to modify the model to have a releasing hatch in the bottom of the fuselage.

The next task was to try it out and I did that on Royd Moor a few weeks ago using some dry soil as a substitute for ashes. This all worked fine and I worked out that it was best to fly below horizon level to scatter the ashes on the actual slope without them being blown back over the hill.

Tim's widow's wishes were that the scattering of the ashes was to be a family event only so on Saturday I met them and we walked up to the main west facing slope of Tinkers. Tim was loaded into the fuselage and he was launched on his final flight over Tinkers. While making a low pass across the slope I released the hatch and the ashes were gracefully scattered and blown along a length of the slope. It really was a moving sight for all of us there.

My task completed, I departed and left the family time alone to scatter the rest of the ashes by hand over the same slope, looking out towards Holme Moss.

For me personally it was an occasion with mixed emotions as both Tim and I had many an enjoyable hour on Tinkers but at least his final wish has been fulfilled. I feel immensely privileged that I could make his final wish a reality for both him and his family and that he will now be forever on the slope that he loved.

RIP Tim

• Like 8

f3fman

Well done for performing that "duty".

You could be in demand !

MattyB

Well done Dave. I am sure Tim was looking down very happily on the scene, though he may have been slightly surprised Ronnie didn't mid-air him at the far pylon! 😉

• Like 1