isoaritfirst

AlliaJ (slim) fuselage repair

isoaritfirst

D9547A4A-ECC7-4628-8059-8EB86D242B57.thumb.jpeg.b8c9b2c3f2747f8203e7f09787212d25.jpeg

6770BBDD-B703-453B-9345-BBCD39BDFC3A.thumb.jpeg.25b4e41422ed1bdd380c123c9c2b27d4.jpeg

ūü§ó

Gromit

Excellent work & a very helpful thread Mike, I have been following it with much interest. thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:.

Stu.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Lovely work Mike:thumbsup:

I tried something like this on one of my Europhia noses and, because I didn't do it right, that nose is now bumpy with the weave pattern clearly evident and REALLY hard to sand down evenly to get a surface fit for primer........I'm seriously thinking of sanding this repair right back to the original surface and trying again - the way you've shown us all

More importantly - where will you be buying your "Shocking Pink" paint from? I've now got a Supra that is going the way of all "flouro" finishes in places due to UV attack - I assume you're going to try to get a really good colour match including a fluorescent effect?........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

satinet

very good Mike

• Like 1

satinet

Mike

I've repaired this fuselage ages ago, but I'm not sure how to tackle the wing root.  As you can see I cut off the last bit of the wing root shape from the fuselage so that the repair could done properly. The original fillet was only epoxy/balloons not structural.

I would like the put the filled back or there will be a big gap between the fuse and the wing at the flap root.  I would appreciate your insight. How would you tackle it? As I say it's totally non structural, the fuse is well repaired.

Thanks

Tom

20171031_100630.jpg

satinet

This is what it should look like.

KleinP5150065.jpg

isoaritfirst

Hi Tom,

Simplest way;

Run a batten along the lower wing root edge to catch the epoxy. You could use soft balsa or foam.

I used masking tape. Stick it to the fuselage half over the existing root and half on to the lower fuselage. Fold the tape back off the root at the point where the mould line needs to be, so that it creates a smooth radius along the line you want to create. A  further piece of tape can then be used to hold it folded over. 

Clamp a side plate onto the existing root as per pic earlier in thread and fill the rear space with epoxy /balloons mix. 

Hold it at an angle to allow the top surface to run roughly to position. I used 30 minute epoxy for this job. 

Then sand it back to suit.

I stuck masking tape onto my side plate to make removing it easier 

I always consider - whats the worst that can happen.

Well it may not be quite the shape you want - remedy - quick sand and its back to where you started..

You could try to over think it and make a mould etc etc, - now whats the worst that can happen, same as before but the time spent is significantly more.

isoaritfirst

Alternative may be to do the similar but hold the fuselage upside down.

Make several thin ply piece that sit on top of the root and stick them to the side batten. cut each one slightly differently to form the curve back to the fuselage.

Add a piece of masking tape to improve the surface and Clamp the batten complete with the ply pieces in place onto the existing wing root. Turn upside down and fill or apply a mix to the area then clamp over to squeeze the excess out.

Adapt the plan as you go. just have a go ;)

George Young

Do you have a good source for carbon cloth Mike?

isoaritfirst

Hi George. Over the years I have various scraps given to me. 

But recently I have bought from Easy composites. 

Google search finds them 

oipigface

There's Bucks Composites as well. Sponsors of the English Open.

• Like 1

satinet

Bucks composite don't seem.to stock cloth.

It's important to get the right weight of cloth. 200G is cheap but too thick for most repairs.

oipigface
6 minutes ago, satinet said:

Bucks composite don't seem.to stock cloth.

It's important to get the right weight of cloth. 200G is cheap but too thick for most repairs.

You're right. Sorry, folks. They do offer to get it for you, though.

Witch_1
9 hours ago, satinet said:

I've repaired this fuselage ages ago, but I'm not sure how to tackle the wing root.

If it was me, for the trailing edge repair, I would put thin tape on the root end of the wing(end, top, bottom, everywhere!) and wax it up (loads), then install it on the fuse.  Parcel tape is fantastic for this.

Microballoons on their own as a bulk filler will crack, (especially in stressed areas like fixed fin/tailplane roots etc).  I always mix in a percentage of glass microfibres to add strength through the mix, though it adds a small amount of weight.  Around 10-20% by volume would be about right for this job, but up to 50% on really stressed areas.

Then just fill in the gap using an old bank card as a spatula to get the exact profile, or overfill and sand back.  I usually overfill slightly then sand back a few days later, as bulk fillers seem to shrink a tiny amount for a few days after application.

• Like 3

satinet
14 minutes ago, Witch_1 said:

If it was me, for the trailing edge repair, I would put thin tape on the root end of the wing(end, top, bottom, everywhere!) and wax it up (loads), then install it on the fuse.  Parcel tape is fantastic for this.

Microballoons on their own as a bulk filler will crack, (especially in stressed areas like fixed fin/tailplane roots etc).  I always mix in a percentage of glass microfibres to add strength through the mix, though it adds a small amount of weight.  Around 10-20% by volume would be about right for this job, but up to 50% on really stressed areas.

Then just fill in the gap using an old bank card as a spatula to get the exact profile, or overfill and sand back.  I usually overfill slightly then sand back a few days later, as bulk fillers seem to shrink a tiny amount for a few days after application.

That's a good idea. Food for thought

Ribs

I have used these guys for composite materials in the past (mostly because they supply fancy tapered carbon spars). If you are willing to wait a week or two and pay the duty, they have a great range...

http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_fabric.html

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi all,

No-one has responded to my plea about pink fluoro paint yet - I wasn't joking - I do need to know if anyone has a source for shocking pink paint please....

Quote - More importantly - where will you be buying your "Shocking Pink" paint from? I've now got a Supra that is going the way of all "flouro" finishes in places due to UV attack - I assume you're going to try to get a really good colour match paint including a fluorescent effect?........end of quote

Help! Please

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

isoaritfirst

I will go into my local car paint shop and ask them to mix it for me. AlliaJ isn’t fluorescent just pink. 

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the prompt reply

In our local Halfords that means one standard size aerosol can for £25.00 incl VAT and 10-14 days delivery - is that roughly what you had to pay?

Does your paint have a name or an EU number? I assume its acrylic yes?

Of course you are right about it not being fluorescent - thanks for that - maybe I should have said luminescent or pearl effect perhaps(pearlescent)? Is there such a thing? It certainly seems to have some additive or "brightener" mixed in though, probably some kind of substance banned in the UK mebbe? It doesn't seem to just lie there(!) maybe it's the white primer/basecoat being Diamond White or maybe it's like the old joke about what shade of black is it?.......I wonder

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702