isoaritfirst

AlliaJ (slim) fuselage repair

isoaritfirst

From memory it’s about £15 for a big tin 

• Like 1

satinet

I would send an email to vladamirs to ask for a paint code. I dont think RAL has a fluorescent pink so it must be something else.

25 quid is a lot for an aerosol can. Certainly for standard colours. Your pink might be a bit more.

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Body in white

3568A2CC-8C23-4254-8FE4-666775AB6E68.thumb.jpeg.9b27cc4144fdbfbeea6f7f1f9678a8db.jpeg

satinet

and now all the imperfections will show up  :frantics:

happy days

• Like 1

Scram

Is that a deliberate ploy Mike?

The masking tape at the back turned up before painting? Does that give you a softer blend line?

satinet

I don't want to speak for Mike, but I find now when I do my first spray on a repair I just hard mask it up and spray it with undercoat. As per my post above the first coat nearly always reveals imperfections that needs to be sorted out and mostly ends up getting flatted back anyway. 

isoaritfirst

Several coats in and several wet & drys later.

Partly because I don't like or indeed have any filler. 

There are areas where the paint has struggled and quite a few areas that have the normal Aeromod holes in, most have now disappeared under a layer of paint, and the occasional filling blob of cyano.

I'm sure it would be easier to go to the shop and buy some filler, but tradition states that I must paint and remove at least 5 times before I get anywhere near a finish, and scrubbing is theraputic.

Jerry, - I wouldn't look to me regarding painting or masking - but just for the record, it was hard masked and not painted hard against the mask line, just blended. The tape in the picture has been pushed back just to access the line a little more for sanding and a last white coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

isoaritfirst

Several coats in and several wet & drys later.

Partly because I don't like or indeed have any filler. 

There are areas where the paint has struggled and quite a few areas that have the normal Aeromod holes in, most have now disappeared under a layer of paint, and the occasional filling blob of cyano.

I'm sure it would be easier to go to the shop and buy some filler, but tradition states that I must paint and remove at least 5 times before I get anywhere near a finish, and scrubbing is theraputic.

Jerry, - I wouldn't look to me regarding painting or masking - but just for the record, it was hard masked and not painted hard against the mask line, just blended. The tape in the picture has been pushed back just to access the line a little more for sanding and a last white coat.

Also just as an addendum, I added a very thin glass cloth over all the top wing seat areas, to cover the filler. Thought it may add some anti-crack value, but actually I wish I hadnt bothered, it was hard to smooth and has added a few little imperfections into the finish. 

But it is an Alliaj ;) so I am comfortable in the repair being as good as new.

isoaritfirst

Repaired the ballast tube and glued back into fuselage. 

53C769BB-1110-4679-87DE-297B21931A39.thumb.jpeg.ef0c914ec3463746cf9489018d318647.jpeg

made as a complete assembly. Servo tray , ballast tube, pushrod guides, and rear formers. 

Ply rib along length fixes to fuselage bottom so that tube is central in the fuselage leaving room for pushrods by the sides of the ply rib 

B36A44DE-1297-41D7-B6AB-7B30E443EF9C.thumb.jpeg.f7f38a87fe12a733668bcbd78dca95f6.jpeg

Ballast stop on bottom of servo tray all carbon covered, and tray side rails carboned to sides of ballast tube. 

isoaritfirst

Once it’s secure in position I intend to add a further layer over the top of the servo tray to allow for accurate tight fitting servos and neat appearance 

isoaritfirst

C9C5883A-367C-4005-8A1D-4C16FD2AE101.thumb.jpeg.c6ba74e4451011dbdc7c76be61959f83.jpeg

half an hour on the rollers should see the fuz dry.   

😳

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Went all white now it’s gone back to pink

AE4BA9F1-664B-4C81-9F61-4698E2BE6078.thumb.jpeg.afe264674c25712161ae2101639a9c4d.jpeg

• Like 1

Les
3 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Went all white now it’s gone back to pink

AE4BA9F1-664B-4C81-9F61-4698E2BE6078.thumb.jpeg.afe264674c25712161ae2101639a9c4d.jpeg

Looks like a great job to me👍

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Mike - just gotta say...

Great repair - and great repair thread !

Nice one

Phil.

• Like 2

Brett82

Looks very good Mike. One heck of a good job. Hopefully I will get to see you flying it some day. 

isoaritfirst

The repair moves on a pace ( a slow one) . 

Painting is always my bugbear, but eventually after many hours spent rubbing back, many recoats and even more rubbing back I have stopped. 

Almost perfect. I was having problems with an area that kept reacting and leaving a scar in the paint. Right on the top of the wing seat - most prominent position possible. :no:

It has to stop now as I have almost run out of paint, and still have the nose cone to flash over. currently it is a very slight miss match in the colour.

IMG_4048.thumb.jpg.5d431ab49d475159070bb3324533ff26.jpg

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

IMG_4050.thumb.jpg.af6521f39f72d10703c352ab7514a16e.jpg

• Like 3

isoaritfirst

Just like to thank you all on here, as if I hadn't been showing off this repair it would have used far less paint and the finish would have been far more "original" in its finish.  

;)  you kept me motivated.

• Like 2

Brett82

Very nice job Mike. I think it looks absolutely brilliant so well done. Hopefully get to see it flying on the Mynd in the near future. 

Brett

• Like 1

oipigface
4 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Very nice job Mike. I think it looks absolutely brilliant so well done. Hopefully get to see it flying on the Mynd in the near future. 

Brett

Me, too. I envy your patience with paint.

• Like 1