Stu.

Uncracking job ? :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

martynk

Very impressive repair. Well done

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Well the AlliaJ flew again last week. Full ballast on its first flight and a very gusty 30mph wind. 

All very successful 

😊. 

But the day did have its problems. 

Low sun, and very blustery conditions made it hard to concentrate, and just before testing my AlliaJ I threw the Shinto off, full ballast. And, guess what, it was switched off!  What a dick!

extremly luckily it had a bit of down in the elevator and landed 20 feet in front of me with a roll on landing. 

Having full ballast cause a previous small nose injury to become much more significant. 

On the bench this morning and now in sitting in a bucket of hot water. Drying. Well it is on a plastic bag. 

2 layers of Kevlar and some carbon tows. Also I intend to redesign the servo tray. 

Should be fine

but I am a dickhead. Never before have I thrown off without preflight checks. Now twice fortunately this one was on New Year’s Day. Otherwise it would have been twice in the same year

D0B8B826-A981-4D25-97E4-A56625DCF054.thumb.jpeg.3f666bcef5c85a9ab938fbe90d95c096.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Scram

Oh dear Mike.  Glad you got away with it relatively lightly.

Is the hot water an epoxy curing action?

isoaritfirst

Yes that's the plan,

The existing Kevlar cloth was well sanded to open up the weave to help the new cloth to adhere to it.

I made a patch piece of two pieces of Kevlar, one bigger than the other and biased the weave, this was then covered with another layer of light glass cloth before putting into the fuselage.  Inner tube bladder added and insulation tape wrap to hold everything. 

Inner tube inside fuselage, insulation tape, tightly wrapped to hold the fuselage against the expansion of the tube and also to hold the tube in the cockpit area.

Then in a plastic bag and stuck in the bucket to add some warmth, so that the epoxy flows nicely.

oipigface
3 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

fortunately this one was on New Year’s Day. Otherwise it would have been twice in the same year

Yet another reason not to turn Chinese....

• Haha 1

isoaritfirst

A few of you saw the AlliaJ fuselage repair this weekend when it was handed back to me by a very nice man that has painted the fuselage in a two pack primer.

My feeble attempts at painting resulted in a soft finish that marked with every touch. The primer never really dried hard.

So the last few weeks have been spent removing all the paint and Les very kindly took it too his paint shop for a proper job with quality paint.

Looks great, I now need to buy another rattle can of pink to finish it off.

I wanted to revisit this job as the repair couldn't have gone better and the painting couldn't have gone worse.

Also there may be a few fliers from this weekend Welsh league that may find some elements of the thread useful. 

IMG_6206.thumb.JPG.b957310b1a786b76e9c72edab65868ad.JPGIMG_6207.thumb.JPG.4d2617aa841962a2d46199eefbdfc836.JPG

• Like 2

Maria Freeman

Nice job Mike .....

When you used the inner tube in the fuz , did you have to put anything on the surface of it to prevent sticking ?

isoaritfirst
49 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

Nice job Mike .....

When you used the inner tube in the fuz , did you have to put anything on the surface of it to prevent sticking ?

No, I didn’t use anything. Came away fine. 

isoaritfirst

weekend looks dull.

Very dull.

To cheer myself up and brighten the day I started adding some colour.

IMG_6251.thumb.JPG.ecdb70c4d796f5d6383dc8b9acb909b1.JPG

• Like 3

Brett82
15 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

weekend looks dull.

Very dull.

Well that's not dull... and the weekend looks great for the wrecker on Sunday.

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

All back together, and nice and shiny.

Think I may need to add some nose weight though.

Need to check back see if i can find where I left it's CG

.IMG_6340.thumb.JPG.25ca13e266ee4990e4ff8d26e5d5fc8e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kyri

This is excellent work. I really enjoy repair threads, and like the way this was done. I am in the middle of one myself, and also had some inner tubes that came in very handy ;) 

That last picture you posted looks great!

• Like 1