Eamon

Winter Comps??

Eamon

I am relatively new to competitive gliding and am curious as to whether there are any winter comps in either the esoaring or F5J / Bartlett rules?

The reason I ask is I find it quite boring gliding on my own, but would welcome some form of competition, even if that is carried out individually with a posted score on the forum.

Please let me know if there is anything like this.  I tried to start a 14 day comp, but it had little traction.  Maybe I am in the minority, but would enjoy some form of competition over the winter months.

Regards to all

Eamon

SilentPilot

Eamon,

I do keep meaning to join in your 14 comp, indeed I'd like to enter more of the 14 day series, I've got the gliders for each of them but I've also got a 15 month old baby who takes up most of my time.
I nipped up to Baildon the other day while he was napping in the car. I was going to fly my e-Sunbird from stood next to the car so I could ridge soar it while keeping an eye on him, but he woke up just as I was rigging the glider!
Probably for the best though :D 

Tony

• Like 1

PeteMitchell

Hi Eamon,

Postal comps, back in the days of winch launching,  were national and held everywhere on designated days.

This made them just like a normal comp, you had to fly in whatever the weather on the designated day.

I don’t want to seem anti, but the trouble I find now, is that with a majority of competitors able to fly more or less whenever they like, instead of on a designated comp day, the organisers work to a time period.

And this means that it is normal now to choose the day with best weather to try to ensure you get the best score, rather than coping with the conditions that may not be good on a specific day, as we do with a normal comp.

Good luck if you have a go at the eSoaring postals, they are not as easy to do as it looks. But if you go that way don’t forget you will need to modify your setup so that you can launch up to 219mtrs:rolleyes:

SilentPilot

219m :blink:

PeteMitchell
1 minute ago, SilentPilot said:

219m :blink:

My error. I was not aware that the postal rules for esoaring have a lower height limit than the BMFA eSoaring rules.

Just been made aware of that because for some reason I cannot get on to the esoaring site to veiw.

Eamon

Sorry guys, been away for the latter part of the week.

Jiust looking for something organised to do over the winter.

Any change we can set up a couple of winter comps? Always better to play with others, so my therapist says.