AnthonyB

Soaring North West

AnthonyB

In the North West (Lancashire) there is no F5J or ALES or anything.

I have been doing this sort of thing since last century and I would drive 300 miles for a comp.

I would love to have something / anything near here - Finally,  I have started a Facebook page ..... "Soaring North West"

My hope is that like minded people could use it to actually get something moving.

EssexBOF

As I remember soaring in the North West has never been strong. George Stringwell with the BATS club were the main persons running anything  in the way of Thermal Events, in that area.

The only way to change it is to organize an event yourself and see what response there is. It is a problem getting anyone to organize events anywhere, although a lot of flyers want to take part.

AnthonyB

It is a problem to get anyone to do anything round here. So I am not going to moan - I will try to do something about it.

AnthonyB

By the way Brian, we have the same illness. Look at the page .......... That is what I have built in the last couple of months. (As well as being the only one flying at the local club field - every flyable day.     https://www.facebook.com/groups/2039024763047709/

PeteMitchell

Hi Anthony,

Have you looked on the Members Map? There are a few located in your sort of area.

If you have not seen the button, it is in the blue heading at the top of this page.

AnthonyB

No, I had not seen the button, I found it eventually.

There is one person in the Ribble Valley and what seems to be 4 on Longridge fell - which I am looking at as I type.

I would feel pushy addressing them - but most welcome.

Harry Peberdy

Just reading about the lack of people in the northwest and looking at the membership map how often is it up dated I have been a member for a few months now I am not marked on it ? 

Harry

Nick Jackson

Anthony,
Best of luck in arranging some competitions in your area. I wasn't clear from your posts whether you've run comps previously. If not, there should be plenty of help available on the forum to get you started. (I'm an organisational newbie myself and very aware that though not the proverbial rocket science some initial assistance can help. One tip: get hold of a copy of the GliderScore software and have a play with it - makes life a lot easier and can be downloaded for free though donations are asked for if you get into using it).

Harry,
As I understand it you still need to add yourself to the membership map.

Harry Peberdy

Thank you nick think I have dun it 

Frosty
13 hours ago, Harry Peberdy said:

Just reading about the lack of people in the northwest and looking at the membership map how often is it up dated I have been a member for a few months now I am not marked on it ? 

Harry

Hi Harry

If your not on the map it's because you haven't filled in your location which you do yourself 

have a look

Paul

AnthonyB

Thank you Nick, should this project evolve as far as a comp I will be over the moon. Yes GliderScore is a good prog.

Should this get to the competition point, It will probably be of the Altitude limited (lite) type.

As soon as you say competition, most round here run away. I was fortunate as the first eComps I entered were all up last down. I entered simply because I wanted to see how far behind other pilots / designs mine was. I actually won, but was not happy, because I went to learn off the others and they were learning off me. To me it was not a comp, simply a test day to evaluate what I was doing and pick the brains of the others there.

This area (Central Lancashire) is horrible from a thermal point of view. (Probably why cotton was THE industry) I never ever imagined that I was any good as a thermal pilot - simply because I very rarely got a glider to go upwards. It was only when I went to e-Slot comps that I realised how good the air could be 100 miles away. To be good round here you really have to read the air. That is why I fly electric - it saves keep re-launching.