EssexBOF

Swansong ?

EssexBOF

A modelling friend has queried as to why I have not started a blog on  this web site for the new project, as it is more widely read than the other site. So to bring those interested up to date here it is.

It was drawn up( well not really drawn up, more build as you go) as something to do over the winter and to use a V tail which I like. The chord of the wing has been reduced over the Watts New, to reduce the drag and the V tail to save some weight at the back.

The fuselage will follow the lines of the Watts New, as I quite like that, but the V Tail will save a bit of weight with no servos at the back using closed loop for the rudder/vators.

So some pictures of the progress so far.

Centre Port Panel.JPG

Centre Panel.JPG

Joiner tube on Centre Panel.JPG

Tip Panels webbing in place.JPG

DSCN0432.JPG

DSCN0433.JPG

Centre Panel.JPG

Joiner tube on Centre Panel.JPG

Centre Panel bolt fixing.JPG

Centre Panel bottom glassed.JPG

DSCN0436.JPG

DSCN0438.JPG

Wing Tip before shaping.JPG

Wing Tip semi finished.JPG

V Tail.JPG

V Tail  & Boom.JPG

V Tail.JPG

• Like 2

Nicholls

Good looking model Brian but  do not like the choice of name for the obvious reason!

Is the vee tail angle quite shallow or is it my eyes again?

EssexBOF

Others have commented simarlarly as you Ian, but have changed the name marginally with a question mark after it:thumbsup:

The V Tail is 120 degrees inclusive, much the same as is used as standard

Nicholls

Brian I'm pleased, but you need to do the same on the Esoaring site where I first saw it.

simon_t
5 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

Others have commented simarlarly as you Ian, but have changed the name marginally with a question mark after it:thumbsup:

The V Tail is 120 degrees inclusive, much the same as is used as standard

Looks great Brian.  Nice construction methods and good looking.  Most of the V-tail models these days are 100-105 degrees - I have found that V tails tend to be worse in yaw than pitch, so a steeper angle is also preferable for me.  Is the angle something you have played with over the years and settled on what suits you best?

Simon

EssexBOF

Yes have found that angle to be OK for me. Used it on several models and even the old Nan Shadow I fly with a V tail has that angle and it responds fine for me. Could it be that some of the modern models have a smaller tail area, so needing to decrease the angle to give more side area for fin area?

The old Alacrity that I used to fly on just fine on rudder/elevator.

thumb-IMG_1225.JPG

• Like 2

ThermalBoy

Looks great Brian. Please keep us all updated as you progress with the build.

Colin

martynk

Hi Brian

When you overlap the sheeting over the wing LE, how do you prevent the feathered edge of the sheeted surface from lifting after the LE profile has been sanded to shape?

f3fman
2 hours ago, martynk said:

Hi Brian

When you overlap the sheeting over the wing LE, how do you prevent the feathered edge of the sheeted surface from lifting after the LE profile has been sanded to shape?

You normally butt the sheeting up to the LE, not sheet over it, surely ?

martynk

Yes that is what i normally do but it looks like the sheet has been overlaid on the photos   

EssexBOF

I have used this method for some time now and never had a problem with it. The only mods made, have been to cut the thickness of the LE down, so as the sheeting follows the ribs shape to maintain the section profile.It helps when profiling the LE radius. All top sheeting is attached with impact adhesive, apart from the spar which is stuck with a bead of epoxy so as the sheeting follows the curvature over the ribs at that point.

A female template is used shape the LE, after the bottom has been removed, that has been left on so as the wing is held true, when the top sheeting is added.

• Thanks 1

martynk

Thanks Brian. I'll try that next time. I like the idea of using impact adhesive as well

EssexBOF

Tried to find some pictures of the LE when sheeted & shaped but failed. Did have these ones as a rough idea as to the section & finished wing, not on this model but one I made earlier:)

2-P1010407.JPG.a83cff317b013e192e4e315bc7195bec.JPG

4-P1010409.JPG

4-P1010431.JPG

3-P1010408.JPG

• Thanks 1

EssexBOF

Wings are built now, apart from cutting the flaps & ailerons free etc. Decided to have a break from the wings & make a start on the fuselage pod.

Funny how things you have done in the past take on a new phase. Having reverted back to using balsa & a ply doubler for the sides & bottom, having used lite ply for some time now, tried marking  & cutting out the 1/32" ply doublers for the side & bottom. Then these are impact glued to the 3/32" sheet balsa. It is a simple matter to cut round the doublers like a template.
Cannot understand why I never did it before when using this type of construction:)

Picture shows the doublers glued to balsa sheet ready to cut around. You will see the pieces left on the bottom to allow setting the boom datum, when assembling.

DSCN0450.JPG

DSCN0449.JPG

mhodgson

Nice Build.

Was wondering, what are you using for wing joiners?

EssexBOF
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:32, mhodgson said:

Nice Build.

Was wondering, what are you using for wing joiners?

I moulded my own wing joiners having 4 degrees inclusive dihedral angle, they are the same as I used on the Watts New model, the centre panel is built with 4 degrees on a wing jig of my own, again which I have used over some 10 years now on various designs as a standard.

Some pictures of the fuselage build showing a mod I now do on the Watts New as well. I did this as on the original Watts New, found it was stress fracturing the sides at this point where the rear fuselage former and boom joint is. A lot of the problem I felt was down to the C _ _ _ lite ply now available as referred to in previous post.

Now extend the ply/carbon keel plate back beyond the rear former and have a tag that engages in a slot in the keel plate, to make it all rigid.

Fuselage is in the process of the boom being glued into place will post a picture when done.

Keel plate with key tab in rear former.JPG

Rear former showing tab for keel & hole for the boom.JPG

Keel plate from the front.JPG

Nose former and rear formers glued in.JPG

• Like 1

mhodgson

Thanks for that.

Nice build by the way.

EssexBOF

Well it is coming along now. The C___ weather has helped not to distract me from the warmth of the model room.

Servo installation was something to over come, as I wanted to save weight at the back end( another reason for the V Tail), however a dry run proved that the servos could be shoe horned in with the keel in place. Closed loop for the drive on Rudder/Elevators.

Some more pictures for interest.

DSCN0456-002.JPG

DSCN0458-002.JPG

DSCN0459-002.JPG

DSCN0460-002.JPG

DSCN0461-002.JPG

DSCN0462.JPG

• Like 2

EssexBOF

Soome pictures of the assembled wing taken in the hall as it is rather large.

Airframe weight looks good we will see how it turns out

DSCN0463.JPG

DSCN0464.JPG

DSCN0467.JPG

DSCN0466.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EssexBOF

Getting near the end now. Some more pictures showing hinging as some asked about. Uses Profilm Clear film rather than Diamond tape as this can be positioned then iron down. Inner faces are filmed then top film applied to give a bond where the two fils meet.

Also spring to hold motor wires away from rotating case of motor. Made from 18swg piano wire and 9 pin connector for flaps & ailerons. I remove the metal hold down suround take out middle of the 5 pin row, as not needed, then CARFULLY thick cyno the 4 corners of the two halves together, as they fall apart with no metal surround to keep them together. Do not get cyno on the floating female pins.

Avoid cheap 9 pin female halves on the net, as they have a cheap nasty female mating way of the connector they are usually have a blue plastic inner.

I try to keep the connectors on the servo's rather than hard wire them in, in case they need to be replaced. Bit of a squeeze on a built up wing, easy on hollow molded.

P1010737-001.JPG

P1010740-001.JPG

P1010741-001.JPG

P1010742-001.JPG

P1010743-001.JPG