Tony Beckett

17th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

A low time from me to encourage  Simon and Dave out to resolve their 4 each Challenges for 2017.

aaresults.jpg

It was comfortable winter flying, fair bit of sunshine mixed with cirrus and a 5mph wind over frosted grass.
Short of lift though......

This is the last 14 Day Challenge of 2017 and I am going to stop "coordinating" the challenge in future.

The Challenge doesn't really need a coordinator, although it is handy for someone to keep an eye on when the 14 days is over and post a reminder.

Is now the time to make a change? Richard has mentioned that pure duration flying doesn't really practice the skills needed for F3K, also a long flight takes up a lot of time.

How about a challenge of your best 5 CONSECUTIVE flights in a single session, with a maximum of 3 minutes for any flight. Is this too easy for the better flyers? Perhaps give it a try and see? Although if you look at the results of Task Two in the current Dutch Winter Postal 7 of the 8 scores have maxed when they needed a 3, 4 and 5 minute flights from 6. Consecutive flights would have made it more difficult.

Advantages
Tests more F3K skills than one single duration flight.

Disadvantages
You would have to record flight times.

You wouldn't have to stick to 3 minutes for any of the flights, they could be extended if you wish, you just don't count anything over 3 minutes. 

In todays session of 60 logged flights my best 5 consecutive were:- 91, 96, 87, 116, 77, a total of 7min 47 secs.

Tony

Simon Jones

Hi Tony,

I managed to get out today as well.  My first less than full height launch proved to be my best flight at 8.32, most of which was scratching about at 100ft or so.  After that flight I had a go at the Winter challenge and failed to get the 4 minute flight in the right order.  In fact I only managed to get two more flights above 5 mins and the lift was only good enough to get me above launch height on the second of the 5 minute flights. So....

Simon Jones, F3K, 8 mins 32 secs, 18.12.17     .....over to you Dave......

cirrusRC

I managed to get out at lunchtime for a  quick fly.   Nice conditions but couldn't find any decent lift.   5.03 was my best.   I have Friday off so if forecast stays true that will be my only other opportunity.

Tony - thanks for coordinating this challenge for so long, it's appreciated.    I agree it's not much help for F3K competition, but then its a nice challenge for those with no interest in flying competitively.  Do you fund the hosting of f3k.uk yourself?     I'd be happy to maintain this challenge going forward.     Also happy to give the consecutive challenge a go  (certainly sounds too easy when the weather warms up).

Tony Beckett

aaresults.jpg

Dave thanks for  "I'd be happy to maintain this challenge going forward." I would be very pleased if you would.

Tony

cirrusRC

Flat calm yesterday with light lift and fog.  Managed the postal challenge but nothing over 6 mins.  

Windy this morning.  Went for a walk with the family at 1 pm today,  within minutes of leaving, blazing sun and wind disappeared.  Got back 45mins later ready to fly and within minutes of getting in the field the wind returned!  Bizarre.

Forecast is pretty dire for the week ahead. I think you have this one in the bag Simon. Merry Xmas and happy new year to everyone. 

Simon Jones

Hi All,

I think today will be the last half decent day this year so I went out for an hour to see if I could better my current time.  Best flights were 5.58 and 5.42.  There was definitely a better flight to be had as the small pockets of lift were quite good at times.  The problem was the strong sink in between and inability to string enough small thermals together at the right time.  Not sure if you were out Dave??

Tony - a big THANK YOU for running the duration challenges and recording notable UK F3K statistics for the last few years.  Having some targets to aim for when 'recreational' flying has been good and the format used adjusted for the seasons, although I accept that the pure duration flights are not representative of competition flying.  It will be difficult to find a simple challenge (ie. doesn't require a separate timekeeper or programme) that is geared towards competition style tasks and adjusts for the seasons.  I will have a think...

Dave, if you are willing to keep a challenge going I will definitely take part next year.

Wishing everybody a happy New Year.

Simon.

Whitmore

Tony, a big thank you also from me for running the F3K/Mosquito classes but also for helping us get the 2m started too. The format has certainly got me out flying more than I would have with out it and has been great fun :) all your work has been appreciated!

Jon

Tony Beckett

14 Days have now gone so Simon does win the Challenge.

aaresults.jpg

Also the overall for the year with 5 wins to Daves 4, so congratulations Simon

Simon Jones

Hi Tony,  Thanks again for running the challenge this year and all previous years.  Thanks also to Dave for pushing all the way to the end - we were pretty neck and neck most of the year with almost nothing in it time wise.  Here's hoping for more of the same next year and maybe some other people getting involved.

Happy New Year to all.

Simon

• Like 1