Qualifications

Nigel Godber-Ford

Nigel Godber-Ford

Just a quick question, do I need any Qualifications to fly at any F5J  competitions? if so what would I need ?

I have been flying for the last 6 years Slope Soaring & Scale Gliders etc.

Thanks

Nigel

• Committee Member
7 hours ago, pete beadle said:

No, you do not have to be anything but want to be a competitor, and to be insured

Sadly this is not entirely correct:no:.

Virtually all competitions are run on club sites, and all clubs have safety rules, which apply to both their own members and  to visiting pilots.

Many club rules require not only proof of insurance cover but also of at least an assurance of the  level  of competence of each pilot.

This also applies to the BMFA -NFC.

,As previously mentioned, BMFA membership covers  insurance. But most clubs will also prefer the pilot to hold a minimum BMFA 'A' certificate for silent flight.

It's always best to check with the competition organiser when you make your application to enter any comp.

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

Harry Peberdy

Interesting I am wanting to have a go next year at f5j  just waiting for my new  optimus  to arrive I have a b licence fixed wing I no it’s not b in silent flight would not this be sufficient ?

Regards

Harry 

It wouldn’t surprise me if comp rules state that host club rules must be obeyed. 

It’s those club rules that will want to see proficiency standards. 

I do mean to get my A&B but I never seem to get round to it. Too busy flying :o 

Tony

• Committee Member
8 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Sorry but when did  BARCS  rules change, can you tell me?

Nothing to do with BARCS, or as far as I am aware, BMFA rules.

Just commonsense and what is required by those who actually run comps, to ensure  safety for all, as far as is possible.

The majority of thermal soaring pilots have been at it for some long time, they are usually accepted as competent pilots. Many  have been flying comps before BARCS and then BMFA achievement schemes and certificates of competence were available.  But many of these pilots have taken the time and trouble to get tested, now that an electric motor is added to our models.

When a pilot , unknown or new to the CD, with no previous experience of flying in the crowded sky of thermal soaring wants to join in, CD's will all go out of their way to accommodate them, and to make sure they can fly safely. 

A BMFA certificate may not guaranty that the pilot is competent to fly thermal competitions, but it will  help as it shows that they are at least aware of the general safety issues involved.

As far as I am concerned, a B fixed wing pilot would be well aware of the safety issues involved.

I've never been asked for anything other than insurance in f3b, f3f, f3k or f3j. I've also never been to a glider slope where you needed a certificate to fly.

In fact I've never been to any glider field you needed one come to think of it.

A fixed wing A or B is for power models not gliders which have their own achievement scheme.

• Administrators

@pete beadle

You moved onto BARCS fairly quickly there Pete and confused the whole thing.

The original question was about F5J which is a BMFA class. You should really reply on the basis of that. Nigel is not even a BARCS member and your off on one about BARCS.

For Nigel to fly in F5J events he requires BMFA membership/insurance and no qualifications. 

I think it's clear that any local club can have local rules, these rules should be published before the start of the contest. 

From the BMFA website.

Cover is in place for all types of models as long as you are a fully paid up member of the BMFA no matter what achievement scheme certificates you may or may not hold. 

The above quote applies to BARCS competitions too. Unless the local club running the event requires otherwise. They may for example have a requirement by local authority etc..

Nigel Godber-Ford

Well, that's all very interesting, I was also contemplating F3J also, I have BMFA membership (Country Member) so that's ok, but as mentioned most local RC flying clubs near me won't let you  on there site unless you have A or B certificate's, you have to pass at least an A Cert before they let you fly on your own, fortunately the local farmer lets me use one of his field's to fly and my Slope Soaring Club (WMSA) don't require any Certificates to fly solo, the thing is just because you have passed a BMFA A Certificate, IMHO that does not mean you a a competent Flyer,I know you would have an understanding of safety, which is very important. Lots of people pass there driving test ,but some aren't really competent drivers just that they got it right on the day.

Lots of stick time is more important,and being able to deal with thing in the air when they go wrong,the more experience you get flying the better, that what make a good pilot.

Regards

Nigel

Talk about putting new comers off before they have even started .

Any potential F5J or ELG competitor  would have spent a small fortune preparing their inventory  .

And one would presume  seek some help  before taking to the air  .

I would advise anyone new to soaring competitions  no matter what discipline to inform the CD  when entering .

This will give the  CD the opportunity to offer assistance , be it themselves or fellow competitors.

Elitism does not exist in Thermal Soaring despite some off the **** you may read on Forums  ,all new rc pilots will be welcomed.

(take a friendly approach and you I’ll receive the same.)

There are far to  few  people Coming forward to organise  competitions  and club flying fields are difficult to come by particularly in the south east .

I presume this is why PM ,s reply might read as being misleading . 

A good flying site can easily be lost  by poor flying .

As far as I am aware all CDs in the Uk will only accept BMFA insurance  for you to compete  ( domestic Pilots) .

this will require BMFA membership .You will be asked to show prove off membership ,normally at the first Competition off the year .but might be at other comps if the CD requires it .

Your achievement scheme rating will be shown on your membership card  ( A/SFT) 

But it is not normally required  to compete  .

Dont be put off negative unhelpful  comments by forum junkies .

Come along to Any off the Barcs or Bmfa electric competitions  and talk to those that actually compete ,

you will then find  out exactly what you require and what to expect  when competing 

G

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, wixy said:

Come along to Any off the Barcs or Bmfa electric competitions  and talk to those that actually compete

Best way really :thumbsup:

@pete beadle

So we can see your quotes better and make it easier for you, have a look at this post. 

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/5937-quoting-and-editing-quotes/

Sorry to digress, back on topic...

Nigel Godber-Ford

An interesting thing is regarding qualifications, in January 2017 I decided to join my Local RC Flying Club which I did  and paid my subs,when I got to the flying field the first question I was ask was have you passed BMFA A or B tests, I replied no but I have been flying for a number of years although I was not an expert flyer, I would class my self as an Intermediate flyer,  I mention that I can fly RC Helicopters 450 size and Electric powered planes, but I don't have any Certificates. They than told I could not fly anything unless I was under supervision from the Club Instructor. So the only time I could fly was when the Club Instructor was at the field, which was a pain as I wanted to get a much flying time in a possible, as I am retired. but the Instructor was on there at weekends, Saturday or Sunday. I blame myself for that mistake I should have ask them first before joining, my membership is coming up for renewal but I have to ask myself is it worth join again as I only flew  there about 6 time 's. In my opinion is that they should say to me lets see how you fly etc and evaluate my ability, then say to me see how you progress and encourage me then take your BMFA Tests.

I know lots of people will disagree with my comment's that's fine I am just giving you my opinion, but how can you encourage new people  to the sport with these stumbling blocks, especially with the  large cost's involved to fly in the first place.

I will probably take my Silent Flight Electric A as suggested.

Regards

Nigel

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

... in my opinion, the piece of paper you most want to have in your possession to prove your qualifications to compete is the International Competition Licence, for me THAT is the piece of paper showing you are taking the prospect of competition seriously. ...

Why? I remember spending quite a few hours practising the various manoeuvres demanded by the A and B certificates, before I actually submitted myself to the examinations. I don't remember exactly how many hours, or what the value of my time might have been then, but it was a far bigger investment than the flash of my passport while handing over a fiver that was necessary to get my FAI licence.

Welcome Nigel, welcome Harry

All you need to show for our F5J or ELG competitions is your BMFA membership card. I only have an A (FW), fixed wing A, that I was 'forced' to get to fly solo when I joined a club before I got in to glider flying. Since then (2005 ish) I have never needed any BMFA certificates to compete in F3K (National and International), 200W/Kg (forerunner of F5J, I was the the first electric glider BMFA SF Nationals Champion, much to my and several other's surprise :-) ), F6D (2009 FAI World Air Games in Turin) and now F5J.

I'm usually the CD for the F5J events held at Little Bentley, Essex where no certificates of competency are required. All pilots have a helper/timer so 'new' pilots are sort of chaperoned anyway. Guidance will be given and any pilot that shows obvious signs of not knowing what they're doing would be stopped from flying - that has never happened at any competition I've run or been to.

We are a friendly bunch and welcome all new converts to competition gliding, whatever their ability. All we would hope is that you can land your model in the same field as we're standing in, though many of us have failed to do that on occasion :-)

Tony

• Like 2

Harry Peberdy

Well guys this has certainly got folk talking and some interesting opinions I have been flying for sixty one years now and flowen most types of plane but not jets yet got that one for my bucket list I love  gliding so I came along to buckminster for the nationals to see f5j I meet a lot of very frendly and helpful people so must so I came back on the following day for another helping and got asked to time learnt a lot plus meet Neil from Flightec and two weeks later ordered a new glider from him soon to arrive in the uk I have a pal  he also has a new glider coming he also has flowen for years but has no certification but flys planes over 7k anyway and like you say the test for gliders is not very taxing I am looking forward to next season and the warm atmosphere I felt from the pilots and picking up some tips

regards to all

Harry

Irrespective of the competition side of things, I'd recommend that you (NG-F) go for the Fixed Wing 'A' licence purely because most clubs ask for new members to take this test (rather than the glider equivalent) before they are allowed to fly unaccompanied.  If you're an experienced pilot it should take you about 15 minutes to do the flying part of the test (and probably a year to prepare for the 'theory' section ;)).
I don't know, but I wonder what the authorities will demand of us when the new drone regulations are introduced?
I concur with the others - just contact the Comp Director in advance and you'll be welcomed with open arms.  It was just a few years ago that I turned up to a Bartlett's event with my ST Blaze and rose (without trace) to mid-table mediocrity.  

37 minutes ago, Kikapu said:

Irrespective of the competition side of things, I'd recommend that you (NG-F) go for the Fixed Wing 'A' licence purely because most clubs ask for new members to take this test (rather than the glider equivalent) before they are allowed to fly unaccompanied.  If you're an experienced pilot it should take you about 15 minutes to do the flying part of the test (and probably a year to prepare for the 'theory' section ;)).
I don't know, but I wonder what the authorities will demand of us when the new drone regulations are introduced?
I concur with the others - just contact the Comp Director in advance and you'll be welcomed with open arms.  It was just a few years ago that I turned up to a Bartlett's event with my ST Blaze and rose (without trace) to mid-table mediocrity.  

Not sure about that. Slope clubs likely won't.

I don't own any power models.

59 minutes ago, Kikapu said:

I wonder what the authorities will demand of us when the new drone regulations are introduced?

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up needing to be a member of the BMFA, LMA or SAA with an 'A' (or equivalent) in order to fly above 400ft. Notification of flights using something like Drone Assist is also a possibility.

Steve