Qualifications

Nigel Godber-Ford

It's always worth reading the BARCS Members Handbook before too much confusion sets in.

The handbook can be found in the members area (Home > BARCS > Members area).

I am the current editor and was responsible for inserting the recent update which included an overhaul of BARCS ELG rules and a minor amendment to Open class reflights.

The current version of the handbook contains these words in the ELG section: Competitors should hold a minimum of an A Certificate and have BMFA Insurance.

I questioned this but the clause was kept, it is the only mention of qualification in the handbook that I know of. What I would say is that the wording is should not must.

F5J is an international class covered by the FAI Sporting Code.

I don't believe that pilot qualifications are mentioned. There is also the BMFA silent flight rulebook.

I checked there under general rules/eligibility and all that is asked for is proof of insurance.  I also checked under eSoaring rules (which is very similar to ELG/F5J) and there is no mention of qualifications that I can see.

On a personal level as a competition flyer  I would like to think that any newcomer would have a reasonable level of competence and a high level of safety awareness. Some might argue that poor airmanship/aggressive flying by very experienced pilots could be a bigger problem.

Competition directors have the final word but I don't ever remember anyone not being allowed to fly or even being spoken to about poor flying apart from blanket PA announcements.

Please come along, time keep for me and I will tell you all about it, should take about 10 minutes (or maybe five!).

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Interesting debate. I do not think it unreasonable if you are not aware of a flyer's competence to fly, that some proof of that ability is asked for.If you want a test drive in a car, think you will find they require sight of you driving license.

Some sites have hazards in close proximity, that may cause the site to be put into problems as to its use, if there were to be a problem where it could be proved that the person involved is not up to an acceptable standard, so as to minimize any threat to the sites use. An A in either Fixed Wing or SF, would be fine for me.

There was no SF A cert in the mid 90's when it was first brought in, so as there were no Examiners, they the BMFA, just appointed the existing Power Examiners to test for the SF and later Electric A. There must have been a high % of examiners at that time who had not flown a glider or electric model, who took persons for a test in those disciplines .

There are countless flyers I am sure flying in fields slopes etc who are not even in the BMFA, who have no qualifications, but they are unlikely to enter competitions.

When I ran Bartletts events if i had no knowledge of the ability of the flyer, I would ask for proof of an A cert in either Fixed Wing or Glider/Electric

Take off is Optional, landings are MANDATORY:)

BARCS 230

I have been following this debate with interest. In particular the difference between power models and gliders. At many power clubs they often require a A Cert to allow a pilot to fly solo. At most BMFA events/comps a B Cert is required. So why do power usually require a certificate and gliders do not? There seems to be an inconsistence. 

The real question, in these ever more regulated (EASA ?) and litigious days, is safety and being seen to do something about it. In the event of serious injury or worse, death caused by a glider when the 'powers that be' compare the requirements for power flyers to gliders where would glider flyers stand?

I have a power FW(B) and a glider SF(A) certificates and participate in F3F and never has there been any question of certification requirements (Mind you, if a pilot cannot handle a F3F glider it soon become apparent and steps taken.)

Just some thoughts

Pete

@Pete Burgess It is looking like two of the lines that are going to be drawing in the coming regulatory changes will be at 400ft and 80 joules* energy transfer. Crossing these lines will require some combination of registration, training and testing. An F3F glider is going to cross the 80J line (as do all my I/C models), I suspect that an F5J glider may not.

Steve

*80 J is apparently the energy required to fracture a skull.

1 hour ago, Pete Burgess said:

So why do power usually require a certificate and gliders do not? There seems to be an inconsistence.

I think, Pete, it is probably because the relevant rules have not been revised since the advent of moulded models. The increases in energy retention enabled by this technology turned gliders from light, floaty things that rarely exceeded 30mph into 100mph+ rocket machines well capable of causing damage.

1 hour ago, Pete Burgess said:

I ...  participate in F3F and never has there been any question of certification requirements (Mind you, if a pilot cannot handle a F3F glider it soon become apparent and steps taken.)

We have, though, had discussions about possible 'mentoring' schemes similar to what a previous contributor to this thread calls 'chaperoning'. No formal requirements have been introduced as yet, but my own opinion is that anyone new to F3F should be accompanied when it comes their turn to fly. F3F rules allow for a 'helper' to be present up until the plane enters the course, and after it has left, so no rule changes are necessary for this.

I too have been watching this post.  As a newcomer to F5J I have a some observations.

Firstly, I was suprised when I wasn't asked for proof of competency at my first comp, but was extremely grateful for the assistance and encouragement given throughout every comp I attended last year. I would encourage anyone considering competing to come along and give it a go, but I do not have an issue should proof of ability be required.

Even with all of the assistance and support, it is an extremely intimidating process, your first time and as such I always took the end position on the flight line, as I was nervous as to how I would manage, during a crowded landing scenario.  As experience grows your confidence does too, but this takes time and in the scenario I describe, there is no way to test this until you compete.

When you consider the size of the models we fly, the cost and the dangers at some sites, I do not see the requirement to demonstrate competency as an over complicated matter.  If not in possession of an A cert, maybe a test flight to demonstrate control could be considered, if there is a real concern.

I know by joining BMFA, we have insurance cover, but I am not clear on what the liability cover looks like, if it is subsequently considered that the pilot of an offending model is not suitably qualified? Do we know if the insurance is blanket, of if there is an expectation of competency in the use of the model? I suspect it will be the latter. If so how do you demonstrate that, other than by producing your qualification to fly?

There must be a reason why most, if not all, clubs require an individual to have an A certificate before flying solo.  Is it too much to consider this for competitions?   at my local club, there are members who do not have the A cert, but this is because they have been flying from before the requirement was created.  All new members have to pass the A test before they can fly unaccompanied.

In closing, as a newcomer to this discipline, I did not view the need for an A cert to be one which would have put me off, in fact I was suprised when I wasnt asked to show mine.  The issue that would put most off, is the cost of the models :-)

What encouraged me was the support and friendship of all those at the competitions and this is to be championed.

I am very grateful to everyone who helped me last year and I look forward to putting on them again in 2018.  Happy flying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buster46 said:

There must be a reason why most, if not all, clubs require an individual to have an A certificate before flying solo

I think it's probably because.it was a good idea 20 or 30 years ago, and nobody has thought through the issues since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

I think it's probably because.it was a good idea 20 or 30 years ago, and nobody has thought through the issues since.

From my experience locally, it may also be because some individuals believe they can fly, but have difficulty demonstrating basic control of a model, which in reality is all the A test examines.  That and basic model safety.

Going off topic a bit but I believe that requirement is related to the safety of operating an IC engine, a good part of the FW A badge test is engine operating safety based on my experience of it.

I think some power clubs also have a no lone flyer policy regardless of qualifications so that there is a safety man available,  I read somewhere that this safety man could drive someone to hospital with severe finger injuries caused by a propeller.  Seems quite logical to me. 

There is the same risk (often not appreciated) with an electric glider and its folding prop which is a relatively new thing. I practise fly on my own but am happier when my buddy is at the field.

On BMFA insurance I believe it pays out whatever the circumstances/qualifications, models flying into member's cars continues to be the top claim reason to my knowledge. There may be some confusion on B badge requirements, I believe they are needed for public display flying but not for competitions. The FAI license is also not a qualification as such, you pass some money over then you can fly international competitions for five years, there may be some background vetting but my application was very straightforward.

I've promised to look at adding some guidance to the individual discipline pages on this site with links to rule books etc which might help but I'm aware of a problem called 'instruction creep' which is when things start to feel excessively controlling or 'nanny state'.

We are very keen to promote training days which would be ideal for beginners or curious pilots from other disciplines, when they are advertised please don't ignore the opportunity.

Another thought for 'concerned' pilots is to contact the competition director, their details are usually posted on here or on the entry form and can be contacted via private message, e-mail or telephone. They will put you at ease and most likely team you up with very understanding and patient pilots.

F5J is a little bit tricky in this regard because we swap helpers nearly every flight at some comps but there are usually non-competitors willing to help. It can be quite frenetic as there is not much time between flying slots for chatting (four minutes is typical).

Sorry for hogging the page but I'm concerned that a problem might be being made out of what appears to be a non-problem (in my eyes at least).

Cheers and Happy New Year

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

I don't see why the issues would be any different now to then wrt flying at a club site ?

13 minutes ago, Buster46 said:

which in reality is all the A test examines.  That and basic model safety.

Since early '16, you have also needed to demonstrate an understanding of the legal basis of model aircraft flying in order to pass a BMFA 'A' or 'B'.

Steve

• Like 1