What Hi-Start Bungee/Line for 2.5m Fantasia RE

StraightEdge

StraightEdge

Thanks for the invite Pete.  I'll bring my Middle Phase (currently on the bench) as well as the Fanfloatia... :)

DSC_0535.JPG

pete beadle

Hi StraightEdge

You are very welcome

That reminds me, I've got a rudder/elevator Middle Phase in the loft.....I bought it because I'd never seen one on the hill before....all the aileron versions you could ever want, but no R/E ones.....has anyone else owned and/or flown an R/E Middle Phase?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

StraightEdge

My MP kit was originally the RE trainer, but by the time I got round to actually start building it I'd already done enough slope soaring with an aileron foamie, so bought the aileron wings direct from Chris Foss... although it would have been cheaper to buy the 'advanced' kit in the first place!

I've never yet seen another one fly in the flesh, but of the several YouTube vids out there there is one with a dihedral wing on RE only.

Err...yes! I learnt radio flying with a two channel Middle Phase, I still have it in the loft but sadly too battered to fly. Sanwa Stac 4 27 Mhz radio gear.

The 'Fanflotia' appears to have the fin and rudder lines of a Keith Humber 'Kema' design.

5a9d2ed893a9e_MiddlePhase.thumb.jpg.d3ce3ad7b59baad011f158cd09ffe3e7.jpg

StraightEdge

A most interesting lead Gary.  Google didn't throw up much, but here's a low-quality picture of the Keith Humber 100" Wight Kema which looks like the closest convincing candidate, plan available from Sarik Hobbies:  Wight Kema

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 13.31.16.png

pete beadle

Hi StraightEdge

Sadly, in the 70's and 80's rudder/elevator soarers were "designed" using a standard formula that more or less guaranteed they would work, but even more sadly, all look the same:(

Detail differences were often provided to enable easy recognition rather than performance, and Keith Humber's Kema designs were a case in point, as were the inimitable Chris Foss designs...making them different to the herd and thus more recognisable

Even more sadly, I think making the suggestion it was more Humber than Goater will only add to the "I know what it's NOT" debate, so, tin hats on!.:frantics:

Ever heard the phrase "Quit while you're ahead"? I think that might be apt now.....:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
StraightEdge

As today offered a one-day break in the weather,  I nipped out after lunch for a few launches.

Despite appearances there wasn't much thermal action, only one kite high up somewhere too far for Fatty to reach.  Most flights were around 2:30, best was a 3:30, timing from release of the line.

But interesting (for me at any rate!) to see what kind of launch heights are possible with the Airtronics bungee setup - 146m tops.

HK-A_2018313_171.png

HK-A_2018313_173.png

StraightEdge

JG, you're spot on!  Thanks for your diligence, really appreciated.  :)

Look forward to changing the model name on the TX to Osprey 100... and of course more bungee-launched thermal hunting fun as the weather eventually improves!