Jump to content
  • 0
BEAN

For Sale Forum

Question

BEAN

Hi Austin I would like to advertise a model but i am unable to click on the correct forum, are you able help.

Thank you regards Richard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1
satinet

You have to have 10 or more forum posts to be allowed to post in the for sale section. I assume this is to prevent spamming of the forum by non modelling bots selling viagra and such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Austin

Yes you have to have 10 posts or more in the forums or be a BARCS member. Its a small restriction in place to try and combat people joining purely to use the for sale section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
pete beadle

Hi Richard

Join the family! Join BARCS - It'll be the best £10.00 you'll ever spend!:yes:

Regards

Pete

barcs1702

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Andy_B

when did the rule change on the for sale forum    from a minimum of 10 posts  to now having to be a member ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Austin
1 minute ago, Andy_B said:

when did the rule change on the for sale forum    from a minimum of 10 posts  to now having to be a member ?

Quite a while ago, committee decided only to allow  BARCS members as it was being a bit abused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brett82

It's a bit disappointing... I can understand a few might abuse it but if people are using the forum and offering help and advice to other members then they should be able to post the odd for sale advert.

Isn't being part of the community and helping to keep it active just as important as paying up?

I was about to post an add but then realised I can't and if i pay now it will expire in less than a month so I guess I have to wait till April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
pete beadle

Hi Brett82

I think the change from "ten posts" to needing to be a member, happened at more or less the same time as the BARCS membership fee was reduced to ten quid

As I have said on my previous post - quote "Join the family! Join BARCS - It'll be the best £10.00 you'll ever spend!" - unquote

Personally, I find that, when dealing with BMFA Classifieds and "other auction sites" I tend to find the sellers are a lot less worried about the planes they sell than the prices they want, and are frequently unable to reply to questions such as "What servos/motor/ESC are fitted" because they haven't owned their models from new, didn't build them, and some have never even flew them before putting them up for sale:no:........

Finally, I'm sure you've seen the warnings on the BARCS masthead NOT to join/rejoin before March.....IMHO all you'd be doing would be being "financially prudent" by waiting a few weeks, giving you more time to consider whether you actually, really WANT to sell the plane concerned:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Baldyslapnut

Brett,

We introduced the need to be a member to sell planes for a number of reasons.

As Pete states this is a vibrant forum with thousands of members. BARCS itself has 200 plus members and this is remaining  static or declining slightly each year.

People sell £2,000 F3F and or moulded scale planes on here with no fees or commission. If we look at the trend of BARCS finances there will be a point where we will have more costs than revenue. Even if we cut our expenses down in the medium term BARCS will have a cross over point in it's finances.

People sell items via ebay and pay 6% of sale cost but have an issue with £10 for BARCS membership when they get so many benefits from the forum and the community of flyers who contribute to the knowledge,plus the running of competitive and non competitive events.

It is your Association so an ideas on how we can fund it and continue the amazing knowledge and friendship evident with BARCS would be gladly considered.

 

Greg

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brett82

Hi Pete and Greg

I get all that and I do see the point of trying to increase paid members. I know ten quid is not the end of the world, its just a pain that as soon as I wanted to post something I saw there had been a change and as soon as I clicked on the link to join I saw the note that membership expires at the end of the month. So I now either have to wait or spend 10 quid for 25 days membership. 

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
satinet

Greg it's worth the £10 for selling models on the forum I agree with you. I don't have a problem paying an nominal fee for using the forum, as it's obviously a decent forum. Although I thought the advertising was meant to address this issue to a degree.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Woodstock

Hmm.  So, I appear to be a " Air Vice-Marshall" on this forum, with 1,800 + posts, but I'm not a BARCS member (seeing as I don't live in the UK).  So I can't advertise in the for sale section..

Am I now to expect a similar reply to that recently from MACI (Ireland's equivalent of BMFA):  "You should never have been a member in the first place " (this was after I tried to renew my membership and insurance as a "non-club" slope flyer, but ran into problems as they had changed insurance to become drone-compliant)? 12 years of non-member membership 😬 😥.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
pete beadle

Hi Woodstock

As you say, you're elevated to your AVM status for your continuing high output of interesting posts here, and that's no business of other organisations

If in doubt, keep calm and carry on mate!

What's the old saying "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me":)

Ho hum

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Austin
19 hours ago, Brett82 said:

It's a bit disappointing... I can understand a few might abuse it but if people are using the forum and offering help and advice to other members then they should be able to post the odd for sale advert.

Isn't being part of the community and helping to keep it active just as important as paying up?

I was about to post an add but then realised I can't and if i pay now it will expire in less than a month so I guess I have to wait till April.

It won't expire, if you join ( I thinks its up to 3 months) before the end of the membership year you get the following year included.

9 hours ago, pete beadle said:

I think the change from "ten posts" to needing to be a member, happened at more or less the same time as the BARCS membership fee was reduced to ten quid

As I have said on my previous post - quote "Join the family! Join BARCS - It'll be the best £10.00 you'll ever spend!" - unquote

Personally, I find that, when dealing with BMFA Classifieds and "other auction sites" I tend to find the sellers are a lot less worried about the planes they sell than the prices they want, and are frequently unable to reply to questions such as "What servos/motor/ESC are fitted" because they haven't owned their models from new, didn't build them, and some have never even flew them before putting them up for sale:no:........

Finally, I'm sure you've seen the warnings on the BARCS masthead NOT to join/rejoin before March.....IMHO all you'd be doing would be being "financially prudent" by waiting a few weeks, giving you more time to consider whether you actually, really WANT to sell the plane concerned:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Not true, the fee was reduced years ago. The forum change was very recent. Also read the warning correctly and it states "Renewals". Reason for this so many members were renewing far too early after the annual membership change.

8 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Hi Pete and Greg

I get all that and I do see the point of trying to increase paid members. I know ten quid is not the end of the world, its just a pain that as soon as I wanted to post something I saw there had been a change and as soon as I clicked on the link to join I saw the note that membership expires at the end of the month. So I now either have to wait or spend 10 quid for 25 days membership. 

Brett

See above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brett82
1 hour ago, Austin said:

It won't expire, if you join ( I thinks its up to 3 months) before the end of the membership year you get the following year included.

Thanks for clarifying Austin. I'm sure there will be a few people reading this that will also find that useful to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dave Elam

I've just become aware of this recent change regarding the classifieds section. I have to say that I am also rather disappointed about it too. An unintended consequence is that long standing forum members won't be able to sell models yet a new forum member with little input to the forum will have easy access to be able to see and buy them.

Could a compromise be to allow long standing and contributing forum members to still be allowed to sell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
pete beadle

Hi DaveE

Can you help me out here by answering one very important question I need to ask you please?Can you tell me why is it so important for you, and other “forum only” members, to want to retain your status as a forum member on the BARCS forum?

Your question on this forum really intrigues me, because, to me anyway, there is a very simple answer to it, and this is - Why not simply join BARCS and become a BARCS member?

 What I mean is, is there is a point of principle at stake here for you perhaps, or is it just a need for clarification that prompts your question?........and NO, I'm not trying to be a smart*ss or joking about this.......honestly........

So, can you help me with this please, I’d really appreciate it

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dave Elam

Pete.  I enjoy being a member of many forums which includes this one. RCGroups, RCMF, Model Flying are others that I frequent. I can advertise and see adverts on all of those without having to pay to become a member. As a BMFA member I can also advertise on there.
Perhaps I should answer your question with my own.  As a predominantly power flyer who slope soars occasionally why should I or why do I need to join BARCS?

It's not a big deal to me that I cannot now advertise on here but I think it's a shame as it provides a good and useful service to BARCS and non BARCS member alike.

In the end the decision is down to others and I'm happy to respect that decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
pete beadle

Hi Dave

Many thanks for responding so quickly, I really appreciate it

As a BARCS member, for MANY years now and happy with what they do, both historically and today, I always wonder why others don't join BARCS :)but, as you say, it's your choice and I appreciate your reasoning  

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bobbyr

Not that I sell anything ,

                         But I take it ,  its ok to buy , even though you may not be a BARCS member ?

                                              or is it ok to let Members take money from none Members ? ,  but not allow none BARCS members to sell anything that Members or None members may want ?

                                                                        maybe you should just make the classified section only visible to paying members of BARCS , 

                   

                                   Don't make sense to me though  ,   Thought it was a nice service for BARCS forum to be able to buy or sell kit to like minded people ,  members or not !!

                                                         Rules , ya  gotta love em

 

                                                  Bob

p.s                     Can None members reply to wanted adds if none members ask for something ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Austin

@BobbyrIts called benefits of being a member 🙄

Non members can post in the for sale/wanted areas, they just cant start a for sale or wanted topic.

I understand some of you are frustrated by this but it was being abused by folk who obviously just wanted to sell here. Contribution could be looked at but where do we put the post count level without upsetting many or just causing spam type posting.

I look after another forum where trust me, people join and post one for sale item then never see them again untill they want to sell again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.