mikef

Come and try DLG - BMFA Buckminster - April 21st-22nd

mikef

This event will start around mid-day on Saturday and finish on Sunday afternoon.  There will be a social aspect and plenty of opportunity to quiz the experts. 

Gates open at 1000 Saturday.

Event closes at 1700 Sunday

http://nationalcentre.bmfa.org/event/discus-launch-glider-workshop

The aim is to give people who are thinking about starting DLG, or are newish DLG flyers, an opportunity to see what's involved, get some air time with models and 'ask the experts' about any aspect of DLG flying including competition flying.  ‘Training models’ will be available for you to try.  We hope to have a ‘Trade’ presence too.  The plan would be to fly on both days and to hold indoor sessions with some formal presentations.  The weather will decide the mix.

This is YOUR event so let us know what you want to see covered.  Post below if you plan to attend and let us know when you’ll be there (Sat, Sun or both) so we'll have an idea of numbers.

Topics will include:-

Model assembly

Control systems

Transmitter and programming requirements

Model set-up before first flight

Launching technique

Flying for duration and getting back to the launch point

Competition techniques - flying the F3K tasks

Overnight camping is available.

Watch this thread for further details.

If there is enough interest, it may be possible to address other Silent Flight Discipline as well – let us know what you want.

MikeDLG

Excellent Mike.  I plan to stay over this time. Looking forward to it.  

Simon B

I'll be doing my best to be there both days, must check it in my diary before something else nabs that weekend. Good work Mike.

CTR

Hi guys,

Should be there for the Saturday, maybe Sunday too.

What about adding a swap meet to the 'Trade' presence? Good opportunity to buy/sell models & collect/deliver from further distance that might otherwise not be economical.

Looking forward to the start of the season.

Neil P

• Like 1

mikef

I don't see a problem with a swap meet but I'll check with the. BMFA before I add it to the proceedings officially.  Good idea, thanks

• Like 1

terryspence

Hi,

Having enjoyed the last one I am looking forward to the weekend. I learnt a lot last time and would recommend it to anyone who's interested in DLG's.

Terry.

MikeDLG

Me too.  I plan to stay over on the Saturday this time, should be even more fun.

SilentPilot

I'd like to come to this!
Grantham really isn't that far in the grand scheme of things :)

What are the fees? Site fees, comp fees, camping fees?

Tony

satinet

50p a throw. 

SilentPilot
14 minutes ago, satinet said:

50p a throw. 

Is that for you to throw it for me?

Tony :P 

mikef

Bump

Superfly will be there on the Sunday.

Bring any models or gear you want to sell as well.

CTR

Hi All,

Because of a change of circumstances I can only be there on the Saturday this time. Anyone else expecting to be there then? I was thinking of arriving late Friday or first thing Saturday to make the most of the day!

mikef

I aim to arrive late morning on Saturday and I'll stay until tea time or later on Sunday - depending on the weather and the 'thirst for more'

I've prepared a frame work of PowePoint 2000 presentations that I'll go through but would the 'experts' please be prepared to contribute here and there as we go.   Prepare your thoughts on the topics below and, if needed, send me pictures and text by 1800 on Friday if you want to be able to illustrate a particular detailed point.

If anyone has any questions they particularly want to see answered, again let us know by posting here.

The 'experts' will be out on the field as required - don't be shy - introduce yourself and join in.  If you're not on 2.4 Ghz, the usual frequency precautions will apply.  Bring pegs marked with your name and frequency and find out the local control procedure before you fly.

As the evening comes on, we'll retreat indoors and get round the screen for a detailed chat.

Tea and coffee will be available in the kitchen for a donation.  Bring your own food.

Don't forget there's a bring and buy sale - main action will be in the evening - make some labels with prices and your details.

Topics will include, as required:-

Model assembly

Control systems

Transmitter and programming requirements

Model set-up before first flight

Launching technique

Flying for duration and getting back to the launch point

Competition techniques - flying the F3K tasks

Ballast

Quiet mode on

The weather forecast is good.....

Richardc

Complete newby to DLG. Currently flying a mini topsky from hyperflight. It’s very strong!

I can only make Saturday hope to get there in time to look round the national centre before the  DLG event starts. 

I’ll bring my model, just in case there an opportunity to fly.

Have lots of questions eg does a 1.0m DLG need a rudder?

Is strength or lightness the key?

Do I have to pay £500+ to get a decent full size DLG?

Looking forward to visiting the BMFA National Centre and to see some top level DLG’s in action.

Richard  

mikef

Thanks Richard - bring the questions along - you will be able to fly!

I have spoken to Manny just now and can add the following details.

We have exclusive use of the facility from Midday Saturday.

Gates open at 1000 Saturday.

Event closes at 1700 Sunday

If you don't get chance to book http://nationalcentre.bmfa.org/event/discus-launch-glider-workshop - you can pay on the day.

We will have the events building during the weekend and the bring and buy can be in there.

We will set up the PowerPoint presentations in there too.

We can use the events building until we get tired.

Bring your own food.  There's are pubs and resurants nearby, including a chinese buffet on the A1 at Colsterworth.

MikeDLG

Looking forward to it, hoping for a good turn out.

Paul Gleeson

How do you book?

Can't see any "book now" buttons?

Simon B

I'll be there late morning on Saturday and plan to camp, might even put my tent up this time... see you all there, should be fun, don't mention the weather.

mikef
6 hours ago, Paul Gleeson said:

How do you book?

Can't see any "book now" buttons?

You need to email or 'phone Manny - details in the link....