Darren_O

Solarfilm to cease trading

Darren_O

Just seen this on the SAS Sailplanes page, sad to see a great British manufacturer go down :(

27459554_2026931307583658_1458396838008055792_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

Austin

What a shame, any 'builders' out there should get some why they can :(

• Like 1

EssexBOF

They faced losing out when Profilm/Oracover came on the scene in the 90's as it was far superior to Solarfilm IMHO. Anyone who has wrestled covering a model with Solarfilm, trying to avoid it getting stuck to itself , melting if to much heat is applied, colour coming off when stripping the film off will know what I mean.

Sure PF is dearer, but you don't use it as much as we did. As a tip, clear Profilm makes good hinges instead of Diamond Tape, with the bonus that it can be positioned and then iron down when satisfied. Not really applicable on this site, it can be used on models instead of tissue, shrunk and the tissue doped on to simulate tissue covering, without all the punctures that come with tissue covering.

Strange to relate, that Balsa Cabin keep cutting balsa to meet demand

Will miss Solartrim and Solartex, though not used the latter for some time.

• Like 1

satinet

I have to say it was not as good as profilm. I aslo prefered 'lightex' that you can get from Steve Webb models. 

It was a nightmare to strip off.

The website now shows an online shop coming soon.

Phil.Taylor

Sad news

I used lots of it way back when...

Still remember the smell of it - and cleaning up the mess from my mums steam iron with cellulose thinners

Profilm is easier to work with but heavier.

Phil.

EssexBOF
2 hours ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Sad news

I used lots of it way back when...

Still remember the smell of it - and cleaning up the mess from my mums steam iron with cellulose thinners

Profilm is easier to work with but heavier.

Phil.

I have used the Hobby  King equivalent which is not bad. Has the same properties of PF, but thinner and a good range of colours. Rapid RC in Kent stock it for £3 per metre. Would not use it for hinging surfaces, as it to thin IMHO

• Like 1

martynk

Perhaps not closing after all. Just not operating through distributors.  I thought the letter was worded strangely..

https://solarfilm.co.uk/password

satinet

Maybe they are selling off existing stock. The lines about ceasing production and the owner retiring seem clear.

EssexBOF
14 minutes ago, satinet said:

Maybe they are selling off existing stock. The lines about ceasing production and the owner retiring seem clear.

I got the same impression. Called in at Balsa Cabin on tuesday and they said their stock was flying off the shelf, so clever move to make the announcement to clear stock. The big loss will be Solartex, although the majority on this site probably do not use it.

satinet
22 minutes ago, EssexBOF said:

I got the same impression. Called in at Balsa Cabin on tuesday and they said their stock was flying off the shelf, so clever move to make the announcement to clear stock. The big loss will be Solartex, although the majority on this site probably do not use it.

I think you're right. There's better films than solarfilm around, but solartex will be hard to replace. I understand it's good for warbirds and the like. Certainly useful for EPP fuselages, like on the M60 etc.

I've got 3 rolls of solartex at home. I'll have to ration their use. 

Brett82
On 07/02/2018 at 21:47, EssexBOF said:

Rapid RC in Kent stock it for £3 per metre.

I tried looking on their website for some film and it was showing the 1 meter lengths out of stock but the 5 meter lengths in stock which seemed strange as they cut to length from 5 meter reels. Quick call to the shop and the lady said to give her a few minutes and she would update the website. Less than 5 minutes later and the 1 meter lengths were showing in stock, how awesome is that service. Well done Rapid RC, I will definitely be coming back again.