Paul Gleeson

Ballast

Paul Gleeson

Question regarding ballast.

I have run my pull strings on the left side of the fuselage (right handed) so the ballast will be pushed away from the strings on launch. 

How do you guys secure the ballast in the fuselage to stop sideways movement? Is this necessary?

Thanks, Paul

MikeDLG

I usually run my control lines in a tube in the ballast area.  Many don't bother.  I also usually include a piece foam with the ballast stick to stop or cushion sideways movement.  Note use of 'usually' - I sometimes don't, depending on the particular situation.  For instance, with my NXT, I did not use tubes as the lines run high up right next to the wing seat and there is pretty much no chance any ballast could touch them.  Also, I flattened the ballast so that there was almost no lateral movement, so no foam required. 

Paul Gleeson

Thanks for the input.

The strings on the Flitz2 run low as the opening for the servos is on the bottom.

So I am thinking of putting 2mm carbon rod at the CG from the wing saddle to the bottom of the fuse, just to be sure.