Sign in to follow this  
Nick

F5J flying field

Nick

Hello mates , I got my first f5j model and I want to make my first f5j flight , I'm living in London Tottenham .

Any ideas for near to me flying field in North London ?

Thanks 

pete beadle

Hi Nick

Northwick Park Open Space, off Watford road, North Wembley - it's the park next door to Northwick Park Hospital, and gliders or electric models can use it seven days a week while the OS is open, there is an unofficial local club that flies electric there most weekends in the west field.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Steve J
12 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Northwick Park Open Space, off Watford road, North Wembley

That is in the London CTR, class D airspace, perhaps not the best place for thermal soaring.

Steve

pete beadle

Hi Steve

Are you commenting about now, or when the new regulations come in?

Yes , it's on the letdown path to Heathrow from the East but I have flown there for over 20 years and never, ever, come close to any civil aircraft in terms of altitude separation

To my knowledge, there has never been any incident such as an airmiss or airprox over the park, and there and I believe there will only be any problem if and when the new regulations regarding altitude will be applied

The only problem I and other members of the old NPMFC ever had, was with bungee lines laid out across the fields and the possibility of walkers and their dogs tripping over them - as this is an electric model and doesn't use a bungee I doubt there would even be that to worry about

Yes it's an Open Space but, as long as walkers and other uses of the park don't complain about the model flying, and we are VERY careful not to annoy them, I don't see a problem......now, if you'd been worried about the Harlington Club and their field's position  in relation to Heathrow I might agree with you

Regards

Pete Beadle

BARCS1702

Steve J
49 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Are you commenting about now, or when the new regulations come in?

Both. In the current climate, I don't think that it is sensible place to soar above 400ft.

Anyway, it appears that there is a club in place that Brent Council want people who fly there to be a member of.

https://www.brent.gov.uk/services-for-residents/sport-leisure-and-parks/sports/sport-activity-finder/northwick-park-rc-model-flying-club/

Steve

PS You are right about airproxes, none within a couple of km although there were two with 'drones' last year between there and RAF Northolt. 

pete beadle

Hi SteveJ

Yes I'm aware of this

My good friend and fellow member of NPMFC, Tony Kagan, and I, negotiated the arrangement for use of the Northwick Park Open Space back in the late 70's

You should also be aware that Brent don't seem to have updated the contact details on the website you found regarding this either. The NPMFC no longer exists, it became the Phoenix MFC many years ago. The person shown as a contact is not the right person to help with this, and the address on this person's contact details is, or was, his workplace, so that link, I'm afraid, is useless.

What I am trying to get across, is that I was answering the plea for help from Nick, and Northwick Park IS the nearest flying site, approved by the London Borough of Brent, to him, and is the place he can fly if he wants to. Whether Nick decides to limit his flying there to 400ft maximum is up to him.  I'm sure he will fly safely, as any other flyer would do when operating from a site he has never flown at before.

Thank you for confirming that what I said was true about airmisses and airproxes, I appreciate your checking my facts for me

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702