mtreble

Welsh Open 2018

mtreble

Thanks to all that made the effort to attend a tough 3 days of f3f racing.

Also big thanks to El *****o for the good times!

• Like 7

Stefan Bertschi

Back home after a long day traveling and work.

Couldn't have enjoyed the weekend more (well a thermal on Sunday would have been a nice addition).

Thanks to everybody making this happen again and again. Concrats to the podium well deserved. Concrats also to Gromit fort fastest time and a big thanks to my teammates Joel and Pete ... we won it the 3rd time (out of 10) 🙂

Hope to see you all again next year (or earlier)

Stefan

• Like 5

Witch_1

A really enjoyable 3 days on the Bwlch, thanks to the organisers, particularly Kevin.  It was nice to see a good number of overseas competitors, all joining in the banter. 

The chart below may be  of interest to some , though it only covers the first 30 pilots.

Welsh Open 2018 Charts.pdf

• Like 5

Gromit
15 hours ago, Stefan Bertschi said:

In 99% the glider isn't relevant (up to date model) but the monkey on the sticks (and how he sets his model up)

👍

14 hours ago, Redbird said:

Well that is good to know, much more the pilot than the machine, thank you.

Stefans words are very true, to be competitive in F3f you don't need the latest up to date very expensive model.  For 2 of the 3 days  (10 of the 14 rds flown) I flew my 5th hand Radical, Stefan himself was its 3rd owner. Stefan believes the model to be around 10 yrs old now :).

(edit)

I am shortly going to be starting a separate thread aimed at encouraging new pilots to try F3f.  I believe that with input from us regular F3f pilots regarding  all aspects of F3f , ie hints , tips & advice on model set up, such a thread would over time build & achieve this. 

Stu. 

• Like 4

Martin Church
1 hour ago, Gromit said:

(edit)

I am shortly going to be starting a separate thread aimed at encouraging new pilots to try F3f.  I believe that with input from us regular F3f pilots regarding  all aspects of F3f , ie hints , tips & advice on model set up, such a thread would over time build & achieve this. 

Stu. 

Keep me in the loop please Stu.

A severe lack of practice on an f3f course is all that’s keeping me away.

My last race was around 2008-2010 

Plus the canceled winter leagues didn’t help my return.

• Like 2

oipigface
17 hours ago, Redbird said:

Well that is good to know, much more the pilot than the machine, thank you.

I think there is a little more to be said about the relative importance of machine/setup/thumbs. I've found that it really helps in making progress with F3F to stick to one machine. As long as the machine is capable of competitive performance, sticking to one type means that you have only to figure out one setup. Of course, as a beginner you may want to spend some time trying various different designs to see if any of them particularly suit you, but once you've found sonething you think you like, stick with it and work on the setup and, of course, your thumbs!

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

Nice piccies!

Congrats to Joel, another impressive win on the Welsh hillsides.

Very nice to see Mark taking a well deserved podium place. 

And JP putting in the miles, and getting his just deserts.

Can't say its a good looking Podium, but it does seem a very just one.

😊

Well done Stu on a great result, and a good idea for a Intro to F3f thread, maybe it could be open up a little as an intro into competition flying.

I normally respond to the question as to why I fly F3f with an answer that has less to do with flying and more to do with friends, travel, food,  etc.

May be we should also consider a training camp, load everybody up and run up and down for a hour or two, so when the wind does next blow East we will be ready...

• Like 1

Brett82
3 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

May be we should also consider a training camp, load everybody up and run up and down for a hour or two

No.... :no:

• Haha 1

Mikeb52
1 hour ago, LS8-18 said:

As not everyone is at Facebook ->

Pictures Welsh Open

Nice to see white sheet club hats on the winners podium, didn’t know that JP was a member though. That could mean that the club could have the strongest contingent of f3f flyers in the country. 

oipigface
1 hour ago, isoaritfirst said:

May be we should also consider a training camp, load everybody up and run up and down for a hour or two, so when the wind does next blow East we will be ready...

At the AGM, it was suggested that 'taster courses' would be a good idea in order to attract new blood. The idea was to allow people to have a go without the competitive aspect looming over them. Stuart suggested that Whitesheet is considering an extension of their Open Slopes initiative in this direction, and I offered to lend a model and a transmitter ready set up and linked to my own transmitter via a wireless training system, so that people could get an idea of what flying a course is like without making a large initial investment. If there are other places than Whitesheet interested in this idea, let me know.

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

I have tried for a number of years to interest sports fliers. 

Its not easy to get them out, to try something new.

I like the idea of having training days but fear that few, if any will attend, you almost need to just take the equipment with you on days when others will be there and get them to try ad hock.

Or do it on an advertised fun day ? ? 

• Like 2

Brett82

Mike, just to be clear on my previous post. My "No" was in regards to running up and down a slope, with legs... 😂

I think anything we can do to get more people to try out F3F will only be a good thing. Even if it only draws in an extra one or two people per league, it all helps. Im not the closest to a slope but as long as I get a pass from the wife I will try help out as a buzzer man or something if we were to try get other pilots to give it a try. 

rumbey
3 hours ago, oipigface said:

At the AGM, it was suggested that 'taster courses' would be a good idea in order to attract new blood. The idea was to allow people to have a go without the competitive aspect looming over them. Stuart suggested that Whitesheet is considering an extension of their Open Slopes initiative in this direction, and I offered to lend a model and a transmitter ready set up and linked to my own transmitter via a wireless training system, so that people could get an idea of what flying a course is like without making a large initial investment. If there are other places than Whitesheet interested in this idea, let me know.

This is how I got started flying 60" mouldies on fun days at the bwlch.  course was set up but it wasn't a comp.  It was in the days when Mike Young and Shane were around and the Ken Philips events were also great whilst they lasted

Gromit

So as not to take the Welsh Open off topic I have now started the following thread 👍.

Stu.

jwest532
20 hours ago, Witch_1 said:

A really enjoyable 3 days on the Bwlch, thanks to the organisers, particularly Kevin.  It was nice to see a good number of overseas competitors, all joining in the banter. 

The chart below may be  of interest to some , though it only covers the first 30 pilots.

Welsh Open 2018 Charts.pdf

Love the graphs mate. And it goes to show that despite the whingeing about the variability on the last day (mostly coming from me :) ) it really didn't have much of an effect (excluding Kev and Inaki) on the results.  Goes to show that rounds normal out trump thermals 

• Like 2

Peter G

3 days of flying and no rain, what a result 😎

'El *****o' lived up to its name but with 14 rounds completed, it ranks as a very good WO! Its the people, the place and the sense of occasion that make it such a fantastic event for me. Flying on hills where anything is possible (but not in 7ms).

Very much lookig forward to the 25th event next year, we will have to make it extra special 👍

Thanks for the photos Daniel, really good and the F3X vault input, its a very good presentation of results. My claim to fame is the highest discard by quite a margin so maybe I got less crap air than everyone else?

• Like 1

rc-soar

Really enjoyed the weekend!

The flying was of a very high order. Joel continues to confound with his uniquely effective flying style, Mark's runs were often breathtakingly base-perfect, and JP entertained us with his hug-the-slope routine.  All great stuff :)

Big thanks to Kevin for organising once again, and to all helpers. It was great to have so many visitors so thanks to them too.

Some photos

https://rc-soar.smugmug.com/F3F/2018/Welsh-Open/

• Like 7

Gromit

Great set of Pics Mike, thank you for sharing these 👍.

I particularly like the 'cracking' opening one of Abbo at the very top. The pic would be the perfect photo to use as the 'welcome to F3f' logo, & in my publicity of the Whitesheet 'welcome to F3f' event that I am organising :) .

Stu.