The English Open F3f, 2018.

Gromit

Congrats and thanks to Stuart, and the Whitesheet club for staging another successful English Open. 

Spot on weather,  a well supported event and a first team win for the All Stars made for a great and memorable weekend.

• Like 3

Hi All,

Playing catch up on posts this morning as I was totally exhausted by the time I finally got home, this being very late last night,

I'l be posting asap  👍

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

• Like 1

Well done On being 3rd, and the first white sheet club flyer Stuart. Those first flights at 6am must be working! ....now, where’s my alarm clock! 

Mike. 

• Haha 2

isoaritfirst

Sorry I couldn’t be there this year. Well done to Mike, he’s been looking good for a win for a while now. 

You can take my congratulations for the more obvious candidates as read, but let's hear it for Bruce Hudson, BMFA News cover pinup. This was his first F3F competition, and he pushed his PB to 52.xx! Well done, Bruce. Now all you need to do is get a more competitive pair of wings, then sub-50 and sub-40 will beckon.

• Like 4

Martin Church

Yes John Bruce did very well at his first comp. Just entering an f3f comp such as the English Open fills me with dread.

Bruce is also on the lookout for a better airframe so if any of you guys have anything lurking in a cupboard that you wish to sell let him know. He’s quite the dab hand at repairs also so I’m sure he’d consider a competitive mouldy in need of surgery.

• Like 1

Two great days of Whitesheet’s finest conditions!?

congrats to the top 3 very well flown, good to see Stu on the podium!

And a special thank you to the Whitesheet posse, keeping us fed and watered with bacon rolls & coffee👍

See you at the Welsh

Graeme 

• Like 2

Well it turned out to be a fine weekend, with lots of rounds flown and bright sunshine by the end. That said, the conditions were indeed pretty variable which made ballast choice rather interesting. I'll leave the detailed commentary to Stu, suffice to say that following a poor first round, I was somewhat surprised to be in a good position at the end of the first day - and relieved that the cards fell my way on the second! The Stribog is performing well, I'm pleased with it despite some assembly niggles.

High points were seeing Vic with his Pitbull achieving a very respectable placing, and welcoming Dave Woods back on the competition trail - always one to watch, and learn from. 

Many thanks to Stu for organising with his usual total dedication, and to Peter Payne of Southcoast Saiplanes for his continuing generous sponsorship (do have a browse around their website). And of course to Ribs for his great behind the scenes support. Much appreciated chaps!

Hope to see you in two weeks, in Wales.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Martin Church said:

Yes John Bruce did very well at his first comp. Just entering an f3f comp such as the English Open fills me with dread.

Bruce is also on the lookout for a better airframe so if any of you guys have anything lurking in a cupboard that you wish to sell let him know. He’s quite the dab hand at repairs also so I’m sure he’d consider a competitive mouldy in need of surgery.

Do you know how to get in touch with him?

• Like 1

English Open Sponsor & supporters thankyou's.

Sponsor ;- 

South Coast Sailplanes. http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/

Since the events reintroduction back into being by the Whitesheet RFC in 2014, owner Peter Paynes sponsorship has been truly excellent. In addition to sponsoring the events stunning 'free flying Eagle' trophies,  Peter has very generously donated 'cracking' prizes to the winners. This year Peter presented winner Mike Shellim with an X models 1.5 E http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/x-model-blade-1-5-e-glider  . I'm certain Mikes going to have a lot of fun with this. 

Peter arrived at around midday on day 2, spending the afternoon watching the final few rounds & chatting with all the pilots prior to his presenting of the trophies. 

Peter is the UK's distributor of the excellent  X models range of gliders.  Models include Blade's ,Swords, Swifts , Stingrays, Prismaray, Graecalis, Primarays & more, Pete has them all. 

To view the full range of models be sure to check out Petes website.   http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/

( note- Pete presently has a 'one of' 'cracking' deal on a Stingray standard (OD) version ) 

On behalf of the Whitesheet RFC & all the pilots who have entered this competition since 2014, thank you so much Peter for your very highly valued 'Cracking' sponsorship .

Supporters ;- 

Steve Webb models ,&  Bucks Composites.

Both Steve Webb & Graeme Buckingham  have each year both given excellent support to the event since its reintroduction 2014.  Their prize donations each year to the charity raffle have enabled the raising of many hundreds of pounds.

Be sure to check out both Steve & Graemes respective websites to view their range of products.  https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/  Bucks Composites. https://www.bucks-composites.com/

Thank you both very much for your highly valued support of the event.  

Peter Payne & partner Debbie Utteridge,'The Rosscourt' guest house Bournemouth . https://therosscourtbedandbreakfast.co.uk/  .

Owners Peter & Debbie have together supported the event by donating  what are truly very generous prizes indeed to the charity raffle. 

Full details of this support can be found in a previous post of mine here ;- 

Thank you both very much indeed for your very highly valued support of the event.

New event supporters in 2018. 

This years event was supported stronger than ever with 3 new supporters to the event. These being 1, . Ace Models (owner Austin) , https://www.acemodel.co.uk/  2, The GBSRA,   http://www.gbsra.co.uk/    & 3, BARCS https://www.barcs.co.uk/

Thank you all very much indeed for your respective very kind, generous & very much valued support of this yrs event, it is so very much appreciated. 

Please check out the links to their respective websites. 

I shall be making a separate post with  details of the monies raised from Charity raffle shortly. 

Comp report coming asap 👍

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I had a great time at the English Open and learned a lot.  It was such a smooth operation I was impressed. There were super skills displayed and bad luck suffered but weather dependent sports are like that, I know. Thank you very much to all who eased my way onto the course, basically everyone I spoke to

I'll give the Welsh open a miss but intend to fly the Winter league, hopefully with a suitable machine to fly.

Thanks to all who made it happen.

Bruce Hudson

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Martin Church said:

It's true, I sure would appreciate a low price F3F ship, anything considered.

Thanks Martin, Bruce.

Congrats to the top 3 pilots, but in particular Mike S.

Delighted to see you take the win Mike, richly deserved!

....and of course to JP for FTD with the Redshift 👍

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2

Day 1. 

Day 1 dawned as had been forecast with a 3-4 m/s WSW breeze, overcast dull skies, dampness in the air but not what you  would class as being rain. This was forecast to clear away by around 10.00am.

Many thanks to 'Whitesheeters' Tony, Graeme, David, Mike, Chris, all of whom arrived around an hour ahead of the meet time of 9.00am so as to get as much prep done as possible. Many other pilots also arrived well ahead of the meet time offering their help to fetch, carry & prepare ahead of time,. Thank you all 👍

By the time the course was ready & pilots briefing over, the dampness in the air had all but cleared away, 10 minutes later it had done so. 

The wind was WSW building from 3-4 m/s at the start of the day, averaging 4-6 m/s throughout the day. A total of 8 uninterrupted rounds were completed. 

Day 2.

The day started with a 5m/s SW, this built to a max of 12 m/s at around noon. The wind then as was forecast, gradually swung to a WSW direction, this  necessitating a course move. We had however planned / prepared for the possibility of needing to do this, so were able to make this  move both  quickly & smoothly.. 

The skies cleared to give some long spells of sunshine, temperatures rose many degrees. 

Last rd in progress started at around 3.30,  With myself being first up on day two, after my flight Peter Payne & I slipped away from the slope and prepared everything for the presentation ceremony. 

As we were using the ESSA timing gear I have myself  yet to see a copy of the spreadsheet. as soon as this is made available it will be posted. please be patient, its in hand, thank you 

Stu. 

• Like 1

On the slope event catering.

On behalf of all the pilots and especially from myself, a huge thank you to Whitesheet RFC Chairman Chris lamming for providing  the excellent 'on the slope' catering throughout both days of the competition.  Thank you too to Vice chair David Bradfield, club members Mike (midweek Mike) & Russel, for helping keeping us all filled with bacon rolls, tea's & coffee's.  Mike partner even baked a delicious cake for us 

Thank you all, these were so very much enjoyed by all those that wanted them throughout the competition. 'Cracking' 👍

Stu. 

The English Open Charity raffle in aid of Bloodwise  https://bloodwise.org.uk/   & Histio UK http://www.histiouk.org/

I am delighted to announce that the raffle has raised the excellent sum of £260.00 , this will be shared equally between the two charities. 

On behalf of both charities, & all my family , I wish to give heartfelt thanks to all the supporters for your kindness & generosity in donating your respective raffle prizes .

Identical heartfelt thanks to all persons who purchased raffle tickets at the event, thank you .

Congratulations to all the raffle prize winners 

Stu.  

• Like 1

The English Open meal

14 of us enjoyed a great Saturday evening meal & social at 'The George inn' in  Mere . Memories were shared, stories were told, much laughter was had.  It was a  very enjoyable evening  :).

Stu.