F5J - Southern Area - 15th April 2018 - Lt. Bentley, Essex

tonym

The field is very wet but we can fly if we're very careful, and organised with car placement. I'm going to knock a map of where (and who :-) can park where.

Watch this space!

I spent an hour or more walking the field trying to find the best place for us to set up, there are patches of standing water and some serious sogginess all over the place. I thought I had it sussed but driving home I though 'sh*t we can't even turn round' where I've put cones and other markers. If tomorrow is anything like today we don't want to miss a super day's flying just because the field is a bit soggy, all we have to be is a bit more organised and very careful where we drive our cars.

Below is my map with what I think we should do. We can only drive around the edges of the field, in some places there is only a car widths between soggy patches so turning round or parking nose to the hedge is a problem. I've put cones and markers out on the western side of the field, I had put them out on the eastern side first but the field seems wetter that side so decided to see what things were like the other side - neither is good but we could just mirror the map over possibly.

I'm happy to see what other people think is the better side to set up, my main considerations are:

• We mustn't get any cars bogged down and tear up the grass - the landowner hates churning it up himself but has no choice, us doing it could get us chucked off.
  • Distance to spots - I and a few others find walking too far on poor ground difficult and very tiring.
  • The poxy tree in the middle.

Enough rambling - see you tomorrow for some great flying.
Tony

I've realised there's no times in the first post!

Pilots briefing at 9:45 for a 10am start.

field.png

Tony, is the field we used a couple of weeks ago an option?  That seemed to work well considering how wet it had been, but maybe it’s been even wetter since :)

Simon

Hi Simon

The entrance to that field has been churned up, also the wind direction alters things plus I want to move us further away from the main road. And, the polo girls want to fix divots made on the Stick & Ball pitch after some of the horses got out and had fun tearing around it!

We'll see tomorrow but I think we'll be OK somewhere on the other field.

1 hour ago, tonym said:

Hi Simon

The entrance to that field has been churned up, also the wind direction alters things plus I want to move us further away from the main road. And, the polo girls want to fix divots made on the Stick & Ball pitch after some of the horses got out and had fun tearing around it!

We'll see tomorrow but I think we'll be OK somewhere on the other field.

Thanks for doing the checks today!  - I thought there would be reason(s) to avoid that field.  Let’s hope the weather over the next week or so will start drying things up.  See you in the morning.

Simon

Big thanks to all the guys for getting me out of the field tonight. Thought I might be their until the next comp:(

Great day after a delayed start due to mist and low ceiling, no chance of exceeding 200 metres in the first 3 rounds and an eye opener wtching Julien Benz showing how to do it, well nearly as Kevin pipped him for 1st place.

Eamons drone proved confusing to some who thought it was a buzzard and tried to thermal with it:lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cracking day and excellent company, as usual.

Thanks to everyone for letting me film some footage from my drone, and sorry to those who mistook it for a buzzard :whistle:    There is a real one at 1.06 on the video :rolleyes:

Also thank you to Kevin, for the bottle of wine, there really was no need but it is genuinely appreciated, thank you.

Its getting late, so I will try and post some pics from today later, but here is a link to a rough video I put together this evening from today.  Hope you like it.

Eamon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Randolph T said:

Excellent video Eamon. 👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

Randy

Thanks Randy. Just a rough edit, for a bit of fun. 

Eamon

Prat alert!

I made two errors yesterday:
1st - I didn't check there were enough spots on the field for the max number of flyers in a slot.
2nd - I called the wrong result out at the end - how the hell?! I was tired and for whatever reason didn't include round 5.
The announced result in pink and the real result in white below (can't seem to delete the second pink image, something wrong with site software?).

Many apologies. Fortunately the winner at 4 rounds and 5 was the still Kevin, everyone else is shuffled a bit or significantly.
I will post the round scores, landing bonus and height penalty figures later.

announced-result.png

results.png

• Sad 1

Video looks very promising Eamon.

Hopefully you will be allowed to do more.  Makes for a great record of the day. Would be very clever to get some aerial shots of a thermalling glider, don’t see many of those on u tube.

I don’t know if you spotted it, but around 1:04 mins in you can see a buzzard passing through the lower right corner of the video!

Richard .

and I made a big leap upwards, still the wine went to the real star - it was good to meet you Julian and to watch how an expert flies.  I, and I'm sure a lot of others, learn a lot from observing and talking to you.  Good luck with the team trials.

• Like 1

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell
58 minutes ago, tonym said:

Prat alert!

I made two errors yesterday:

You have a long way to go before you can match me up for dropped clangers Tony, so don't get too upset.

It happens when you have so many other things on your mind (at least that's my excuse :whistle:)

It was a good day, a very difficult comp and we watched some very good flying skills.

I would like to thank all who helped lug out and set up the sound and timing equipment, much appreciated.

And I will make the digi screen more visible next time:thumbsup:

I did think at the time I had done better than what I thought, as I flew against Julien in every round and was launching higher than he was. As Pete said it is difficult to fly and run comps, without getting errors some times. Sorry for pinching other guys position:frantics:

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell
10 hours ago, Buster46 said:

There is a real one at 1.06 on the video :rolleyes:

Really good to have a different view of our comps, I hope you will be able to do more of them.

And yes it was me who thought your quad was a Buzzard:frantics:

In my defense for being daft I would explain that I saw it just a few seconds before the slot start as I did my usual look around to see if there were any good signs to aim for.

And I was surprised how the 'bird' managed to stay up in the sink I had flown into:rolleyes: