Newbie Slope Model Advice

Mikey69

SilentPilot

How heavy is the M70 without any added ballast? It looks like it might be able to fly in light wind with a little Camber on the trailing edge (ailerons and flaps slightly drooped) if it’s not too heavy you shouldn’t need to go so fast :) 

I don't want to be the bearer of just negativity, but you do know that "SLOPE" means Smashed, Lost Or Pulverised Eventually"?  That means that you do need to get yourself into a mental state to be prepared that crashes will happen when slope flying, including terminal ones. It happens to all of us. I'm saying that as you seem rather fond of your Jarts! If you really want to preserve them, don't fly them:no::D

Hi Slient Pilot,

The Jart M70 is 2.4kgs with flight battery fitted. it came with 1033g ballast. Tony, the seller, told me fly without ballast in winds between 18 - 40mph. He said to add all the ballast for winds 40mph and stronger. Apparently it will cope with mid - high 60s winds fully ballasted.

Hi Woodstock,

A pleasure to meet your acquaintance mate :-) Nice Acronym - ill be remembering that one! i am very fond of my Jarts, but it's no good them being sat on a shelf doing nothing - where's the fun in that :-) i think the real issue is i need to learn not to get so attached to what is essentially a load of moulded carbon, wood, film, firbreglass, etc!

Being a speed and 3D heli flyer i'm no stranger to terminal crashes. They hurt and cost a lot of money! Thankfully i've not stuffed a heli in for some time. I think my concern with the Jarts is that they are so damn hard to come by. And i don't yet have the necessary skills and knowledge to scratch build.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_B said:

you mean a jart like this ....Gromits  all moulded  200g carbon wings on blue foam  48"

day2-2.jpg

Don't remember seeing that pic before Mr b, not sure if its from a Lundy or an Ireland trip with you ? 

Stu. 

Hi Gromit,

Nice to meet you mate :-)

Yes indeed i do mean a Jart like that. Good photo in very poor light!

From what i understand - (and that's probably not much), When Reed first debuted the jart he made the plans available to anyone who asked him. He always intended for the Jart to be a 'cult' thing, with home builders being his preference. Hence Jarts come in all sizes and materials, with a lot differnet control surface configurations. And that's how it went for a while. I think at some point he realized he was on to a good thing and I'm fairly sure the Jart LT was the first small production run Jart. Mine is a mouldie fuz 40.5" long, wingspan 56", balsa and foam built. The short production run Jart foamie is 39" long, with a 56" span, wooden empennage with wood/foam wings. The M70 is the 'ultimate' production version - 50" long mouldie fuz, 70" span carbon wings, with flaps and rudder (The LT and foamie have neither).

I'll get some photos of my three up very soon. The M70 and LT are now finished. The foamie needs a lot of work, because i'm having to cut/install an electronics bay/hatch and recover the entire model,

Cheers,

Mike

Jart-M70#1.800.jpg

And here are photos of my Jart LT and my foamie Jart before i attacked it :-)

Really looking forard to flying them all!

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

Leading+Edge+Gliders+(LEG)+EPP+Jart.JPG

The Jarts are nice looking ships. I knew i wanted one as soon as i saw this video of one on YouTube.

This is perhaps my favourite vid of the M70. Awesome landscape too :-)

Watching it again just now made me want to get out there with a jart - just like it always does.

SilentPilot

Great videos! I could watch glider aerobatics all day. I get a bit bored watching powered plane aerobatics but not gliders :) 

What was the music on the second vid? The first I think was the Stone Roses (great choice btw!) but I can’t place the second... sounds like Dave Grohl but I don’t recognise the tune...

Tony

1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

What was the music on the second vid? The first I think was the Stone Roses (great choice btw!) but I can’t place the second... sounds like Dave Grohl but I don’t recognise the tune...

Tony

Creed - Can you take me higher.

I used to like the idea of a Jart. Saw a foam one once and it's performance put me off them. My M60 (racing plank) at the time was much better and mouldies swept me away after that.

The M70 looks the business!

No reason to be nervous of flying those models with your stated pedigree :thumbsup:

Just chuck em off a hill (with a nice landing area) 

Cheers

Clayt

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Skip - and all

I clearly remember all the years of competing in BARCS Open where them from "oop nerth" called anyone south of Watford Gap "Southern Softies"

Reading Mikey69's specification for what he wanted a good trainer for, brought it all back, and Skip's most recent comment sums it all up for me........with your pedigree you obviously don't need another trainer, what you need is a couple of comments from a few Lancashire Lads who would be telling you, at full volume, on the hill where you fly, to "bluddychuckitoff!!! and not act like a Southern Softie.......

In London (and the Home Counties), when the wind exceeds 50MPH and gusts to 70 or higher, we get a thing called a "Yellow Warning" issued from the Met Office, and we batten down the hatches in our homes, expecting "structural damage, danger of trees falling on roads and pavements" and remember the Met Office's warning "Is your journey really necessary?".........we DON'T say, "I must get a myself a  'plane that I can fly in these (highly dangerous) conditions" we get out our simulators!

Best of luck in your search but perhaps another saying might be apposite - "Be careful what you wish for.......":)  

Southern Softie Pete

BARCS1702

• Haha 1

Hey Tony,

I know wht you mean about watching soaring aerobatics vids. There's some amazingly good vids by a french guy flying a huge Ventus and something like a Salto in the french alps. He has onboard cameras and somneone filming his flights. They are always really well edited and of cource the landscape is stunning! He's a great pilot too. its vids such as these that spurred me on to get into slope soaring in the first place. I've always ben an outdoors guy - so soaring is ideal for that.

Having now experienced my first soaring flight there was something almost 'magical' about flying around without power - it seemed a more 'pure' flying experience somehow. Just me and the wind? Does that make sense? I enjoyed it so much more than powered aerobatic flying at my local flying site with my E.F. Extra for example.

As for gyros in fixed wing - nah! I use them in my FBL helis, because i have little choice. I learned to fly helis using a cheap T Rex 450 clone without a working gyro! It was unbelievably tough, but i did it. I like to keep electronic assistance to a minimum when i fly. I enjoy the challenge :-)

Hi Skip, pleasure to meet your acquaintance mate :-)

Thanks for the positive comments and for your input. To be honest my only conccern flying the Jarts is just not having any sloping experience, apart from my first flight that is. (I didn't land the model) I've got a used SAS Wild Thing on the way, Once i've had a few flights with that and i've got a few successful landings under my belt i'll be fine. I just don't want to risk my Jarts until i'm competant enough at sloping.

Hi Pete,

Really good to hear from you mate :-)

Ah, us Notherners! We're a brash lot aren't we? hahaha!

I suspect lots of us fly any opportunity we can, despite the weather because 'it's grim up nawwwrrrfff!' lol! Rain and wind is all we ever get! lol!

Great comments regarding the "Yellow Warings". heheh! I tend to swear a lot because i can't fly, put my coat on and go for a trek in the hills!

I was amazed when i got to the slope, made my way to the 'edge' and realized that i wouldn't have been able to keep my eyes open if it weren't for my glasses! The wind was literally pushing us back! I was even more amazed when one of the club regulars donned a ski mask and TX glove, threw his wing off and away it went!

Anemometer was reading steady 50 - 58mph, with 68mph gusts!

Even more amazing to me was that the little foamie wing i flew coped! It was perhaps 2ft span, very battered, with lead weights all over the place - BUT IT FLEW! and it flew well!

Really looking forward to getting back out there with my own models :-)

Mike

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Mike,

I think it’s fair to say if you can land the Wildthing you could land the Jart. 

The M70 will be easier thanks to the flaps. Flying wings are among the hardest of all types to land because you have no assistance, more often than not you don’t even have a rudder so you can’t slip off excess height or speed...

Totally on the same page as you regarding gliding being pure, and yes, magic. I fly full size gliders and it’s probably the only time I sit still!!! My 5 hour endurance flight was measured in mars bars and drinks rather than time :D 

Tony

SilentPilot

btw, I often go for the odd cross country ramble myself. Made a lot more pleasurable now I’ve got a backpack for my Sunbird!

Hey Tony,

ah that's good to know :-) Once i can land my wing with no issues i'll give the Jarts a go. My plan was always to use the foamie Jart as a trainer. Then when happy, move on to the Jart LT, which i'm intending to be my 'rucksack' sloper, much like your Sunbird. i was always going to save the M70 until i'm happy with my skillset.

I'm still toying with the idea of sloping a Multiplex Blizzard too, whilst i learn. I have one with the tuning powerset - it's a monster! Full throttle is insane! First time i flew it, it ended up in the clouds! It was only on full throttle for a few seconds! Had to shut throttle off and wait for it to reappear! i love the way they fly, so i reckon a ballasted  unpowered version would be great fun :-)

• Austin changed the title to Newbie Slope Model Advice