Sign in to follow this  
Scram

Wizard Compact Ballast

Scram

I recently acquired a nice clean Wiz Compact which came with 2 custom ballast bars for the fuselage, 1 brass and 1 ally.

However, these bars will not go into the fuselage tube.

Usually, fuselage ballast slugs are ¾" (19mm) diameter but these bars are 20mm diameter, as is the ID of the tube.  So they will start to go in but the nose is shaped to allow fitting of smaller (diameter or length) slugs.

IMG_4101.JPG.3f4a4e7cd1109ac390758fa6b40a7122.JPG

IMG_4102.JPG.da3cc076807addd8daf6a20d3c27f716.JPG

So I was wondering what's the best solution.

I could try to put a bend in the bars by wellying them with a large lump hammer but suspect they would then jamb further in due to the close fit of the bar and tube diameters.  So the only alternative would be to cut them into shorter pieces.  But how many?

Cutting in half would probably work, with some foam between to pack 'em tight.  But this would not provide any adjustment to the ballast weight so I thought 3 would be simplest, allowing a 10cm long wood batten in between a weight front and back to provide intermediate ballasting.

The bars are 746 gram and 250 gram.

George Young

If the bar will fit the tube I would suggest cutting the brass one into 4, giving you the possibility of adding ballast in 180 ish gram increments. Quarter, half, three quarters and full ballast. You will need some spacers too of course.

Andy_B

looks like Elita ballast bars Jerry 

Phil.Taylor

Jerry - just hop on ebay & buy some 19mm 3/4inch brass rod - cheap & plenty available

Phil.

SilentPilot

I’ve just got myself a Wizard Compact and have a full length ballast bar like this.

If it’s meant to have a full length bar then surely it is designed to accept them. If it doesn’t go in does that mean the nose has been glued in too low?

Tony

Skip

weren't the bars supposed to go in without a tube?

Phil.Taylor

Wot Andy says - they are not Wiz ballast - wrong size.

Proper Wiz ballast is 19mm dia - really proper Wiz ballast bar is pink & sparkly 😄

satinet

As Phil said 19mm bar is cheap.

You can also get steel tube and fill it with lead for more weight. 

Scram

Well, I think you's right that they are not bars for the Wiz.  I cut the ally bar in half 'cos I thought that would go in OK, but first it came up against a "burr" in the fibreglass tube where it is made with a hole for inserting the retainer for a tow hook, so would go no further.  When I had cleaned that up I found it was still too tight a fit to go down the tube without getting stuck - that would have been a disaster to get out again.

I think I have an even cheaper way to solve this.  I will get a friend to turn 0.5 - 1mm off the OD of the bars, then they should fit nicely when cut up into suitable slugs.

Cheers for advices.  Jerry

Phil.Taylor

A friend with machines! And cheap too!

Can he also machine up steel wing joiners?  :)

Phil.

Scram
12 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

A friend with machines! And cheap too!

Can he also machine up steel wing joiners?  :)

Phil.

errr  no I don't think so ......... but I've not asked.

simon_t

I made up ballast for my Race-M Ultimate (uses Wizard Comnpact fuz) from shiny steel 19mm shower tube bought cheap from B & Q, and then filled with lead (as suggested earlier).

Simon

• Like 2