Greg fastest 

Andy 3rd

joel 1st

mike 2nd

A1C310A8-7DEF-447C-900B-273674B229FC.jpeg.0cbe88bc91f413e35a1b93b5104b5421.jpeg

Come on the Midlands. 

Well done guys👏

• Like 1

Thanks for organising this event so well guys. Really enjoyed these days and looking forward for the next one.

Nice to meet you all.

I created a teaser video from the competition. Take a look ;)     and follow my channel if you like to see other videos all related to f3f.

https://youtu.be/oEFaxHCoRcE

See you in the next one!

Aleix

Congratulations Joel on winning the event, to  Mike on being runner up, & to Andy on achieving 3rd 👍

Well done Greg for achieving the FTD 👍.

Looking forward to a report & viewing the spreadsheet .

Stu. 

Well we finally got a comp in in Wales! 

I think it's fair to say that it won't go down as one of the greatest comps due to the light variable air which both entertained and annoyed in equal measure, however we did get 12 rounds completed over the 2 days in beautiful sunshine .

Saturday was difficult because as we arrived it was dead calm although during the day it slowly built onto the SW slope, however despite getting 4 rounds in we did have multiple re-flights because of the wind dropping below the legal limit.

Sunday dawned better with the wind blowing a little stronger, however it was the dreaded SE direction which posed the dilemma of whether we should all walk out to the far end of the Crest.

As it turned out, by the time it started to blow above 4m/s consistently it also squared up nicely onto the back of the Wrecker.  In the end we flew 8 more rounds before calling it a day @ 3pm.

As always in light thermic conditions there were going to be winners and losers, however for me at least it was just nice to finally get some rounds in after a miserable winter league and Champ of Champs.

A big thank you to all involved in making this weekend a success but a special thanks goes to Mark T, Jon, and Graeme for their help and support.

Regards

Joel

• Like 6

Hi Guys

Just got home after a great weekends flying.  Weather gods were kinder to us than expected.
Well done to Joel, Mike, Andy, and to Greg for FTD of 37.44

Results after 12 rounds here :-

image.png.adda1175400cb97d3a8b75876228213d.png

Full spread sheet to follow

Jon

• Like 11

cheers Joel for putting on an excellent event .............nice to be out in the sunshine.

Andy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy_B said:

cheers Joel for putting on an excellent event .............nice to be out in the sunshine.

Andy

Sorry I should have also thanked Andy as he did the lions share of the launching and is probably feeling it today?

59 minutes ago, jwest532 said:

Sorry I should have also thanked Andy as he did the lions share of the launching and is probably feeling it today?

Not as bad as I thought to be honest .........cheers 

isoaritfirst

Lovely weekend, loads of sports flying,  a 12 round comp and warm dry and sunny weather. 

A nice place to be for the weekend. Thanks to all the team for keeping things running smoothly.

Not enough wind to blow my hat off, but enough to fly on, for all the weekend.

Although there were times when I was flying my electric AlliaJ, the motor was never run except to test that it would.

Re charge of my Shinto on Saturday night needed 850mah which is about as much as I ever put back into it. 

😎So, sorry if I hogged the slope  . but as Joel said it seems ages since we flew, so I wanted to make the best of it.

I know we all whinge about variability, but that what F3f is, as often as not, maybe we all have a lot to learn in flying these conditions.

I wish I knew what it was.

There are pilots who seem to be able to post good results no matter what the air throws at them. Its very noticeable when flying with our European friends that they seem better able to cope. UK pilots results when flying abroad in lighter air comps bear testament. Higher winds we do fine but once it drops down to the thermic 3 m/s we seen to think that you just need to be lucky. 

Being unlucky clearly will punish you, and being lucky may make you a star, but on average we fall behind the rest of Europe's best pilots.

Like I said I don't know the answers, but as a start perhaps we should adopt a better attitude to light wind comps, Possibly its an area where we have something to learn, and for me learning is what makes F3f fun.

Having said all that expect that I will be very grumpy at Levisham in a few weeks time....

• Like 7

Just by way of contrast   Joel was flying with 700g of ballast on board  pretty much all of Sunday (it felt ***** heavy when I was launching it )  and I was flying empty in the Pitbull .Made for some interesting flying and styles ......and times varying from 37.xx   to 120.xx   all in one day and in legal wind speeds . 

I had my bits of good luck with the air  and re flights     but thoroughly enjoyed it .

Andy

• Like 3

Phil.Taylor

Thanks for the spreadsheet Mark - interesting reading - a real mix of high,medium,low rounds placings for just about everyone

Big thanks to Joel for organising it all & shepherding us to the right slopes, and for launching for me (a lot)

Big congrats to Joel for winning

Big thanks to Aleix for the video - captures the spirit of the weekend

I really enjoyed the weekend - 2x days of fun & interesting F3F racing in blazing sunshine, shiny new FS5 to fly, good company, and a good curry. I was genuinely surprised & delighted to end up  placing 6th overall, with 2x round wins & 4th fastest time of the comp - my best result ever. The FS5 is everything I'd hoped for, absolutely ballistic when the lit came through, shame about stripping a servo gear (flaps not up in time on a turbulent landing), but old Roxy Radical put up a good fight & won the last round.

Yes, the conditions were variable, between flights and also within flights - but for me that added interest, flying and watching - I get bored watching the same old reversals in steady air. Over 12 rounds I think it all averaged out so we each got a fair/unfair share of good & bad air. 

Some stand outs for me - Gregs ballistic fastest run, afterburners fully on - my FS5 also with afterburners on & bouncing out of the turns (caught on Aleixs video - at about 00:52) - meeting Aleix & seeing him fly well with the RCRCM Tabu - hot sunshine - blue skies - no rain (did I say there was no rain over 2x days in Wales?) - cold beers & a good hot curry - Oh, and a strange looking pinkypurplyblueyyellowyredthing put in an appearance on the course

Low spots - seeing Mark Ps Freestyler keel over in to the hill with radio problems - Jon Es land out - and of course the sunburn

Was it a great F3F comp? - yep, I think it was 😀

Phil.

• Like 5

Yes, that was a really enjoyable weekend.  Challenging flying conditions that kept us all on our toes, with many flights noticeably changing pace halfway through the run.

I have been thinking that it would be nice to see how my "luck" changed over the course of the contest, so over the past month or so Mike Shellim and I have been trying out a modification to the F3F scoring sheet that adds a position progress chart (similar to F3Xvault.com).    It needs a little further refinement to fully match the technicalities of the spreadsheet, and trials by Mark Treble indicate it might be difficult to make compatible with non-windows devices.   But for the moment it is possible to share the chart as a PDF, so here it is, what do you think?

BMFA Nationals 2018 Charts.pdf

It would be good to have comments back by PM on any devices which can't display the PDF well, and we will try take that into account.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Phil, many congrats on your best ever comp result, 'cracking' 👍.

Sounds like your very pleased with your new FS5. 

Thank you again for posting your LDS system install, very helpful.

Stu. 

• Thanks 1

Greg Dakin

Well, that was some weekend!!!

Classic British summertime F3F with pots of drama, excitement, euphoria and sheer frustration...

But all that said, the right men made it to the podium after some excellent flying. Joel's performance was excellent throughout, and he's not just good organising either, his flying was pretty good on occasion too 😀 Well done Joel - we are most definitely not worthy!

Mike was carving some great turns in the smooth thermal conditions and his Shinto looked very settled throughout - always a man to keep an eye on in the light air. 

But the major mad props have to go to the man Burgoyne, who flew brilliantly throughout, and made some excellent tactical decisions on ballast and approach. His Pitbull looked on rails throughout the weekend, and it was a joy to watch - such a well earnt podium place!

Honourable mention to Phil Taylor too, who looked in a completely different orbit with his shiny, new FS5 - it all seemed so effortless with the model screaming around the sky as the warm air rose up the valley. Great to see. 

Mark and I had a real mixed bag of fortunes, and I think that we both experienced the highs and the lows of the weekend - plenty to consider over a few IPAs on Saturday night with Keith and Jon!!

A big thank you to Joel, Mark T, Jon E and Andy B for truly excellent organisation and co-ordination in very challenging conditions. 

Next stop Horcum.

Greg

• Like 4