BMFA F3F League 1 at Hole of Horcum 22nd April 2018

mtreble

Excellent, glad to see the numbers up to 16. I reckon thats about prefect for getting lots of rounds and being able to change your ballast between them :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it, feels like an age since my last comp...

• Like 2

Well, looks like a half decent forecast for Sunday. winds turning westerly, 15 - 20mph, slight risk of a shower.

So Sunday is ON. meet at Levisham for 9:30

Jon

• Like 6

well? Turned out nice again :)

After a difficult decision at the start, with the wind due to turn from S to W during the day, which slope should we start on?
Levisham for W or Horcum main bowl for the S.

Well, we talked about it for that long, that in the end the decision was made for us - LEVISHAM!

And that proved to be a good choice. Slightly off at the start, but by the time the rain hit, it was a full Westerly
An hour stoppage for the weather, meant only 2 rounds completed by 2pm ( one round lost ). But the rain cleared, the wind picked up
and another 7 rounds completed.

Some really nice conditions as well as the usual Levisham variability, saw Rich Bago storm into the lead, Steve Haley in second, and Peter Gunning in third. Well done Guys. FTD went to Rich with a 35.51 in R8.

image.png.9cf8b2d01284bffc4ba231c375c774b0.png 

Many thanks to John Treble for Buzzer supremo, Mark T for Cd'ing, and to everyone for helping with the kit etc.

Full spreadsheet results to follow

Jon

ps. well done to Brett for a round winning PB of 38.63 in R7

• Like 11

Thanks Jon

I didn't expect it to be a round winning time so I was really chuffed when Mark gave me the news. 

Thanks to everyone for hosting the comp and again to everyone that turned up to make it an awesome day. 

Brett 

• Like 1

Very pleased to hear you had a days racing.

Congratulations Rich on winning the event & for posting the FTD.  Congratulations too to both Steve & Peter on your respective 2nd & 3rd placings :thumbsup:

Regardless of results placing I  hope everyone had a very enjoyable days racing .

Very well done Brett on your round winning PB :)

Stu. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another very enjoyable trip to Yorkshire 👍 It's easier going to Levisham knowing there is definitely going to be a lottery element to the day before you start but it still has the capacity to surprise.

Round 1 started with 56's & 57's, and I was quite happy with my 47 flying 11th in the round. By the end of the round I was 10s off the pace, welcome to Levisham!

Still, it was great to be out racing in mostly decent weather and get the league kicked off after a tricky winter. Good to see the Redshifts in action, they sound superb (very swishy) and put in some very racy times. Also good to hear Brett screeching round to a new 38s pb while I was landing...

Thanks to Jon & Mark T for organising and John T for the 'thankless task' of supremo.

• Like 1

Good Days racing ,typical Levisham varying conditons was frustrating at times ....Thankyou very much to Mtreble for getting me from pickering to levisham as the "crankshaft sensor"on my trusty VW decided to play up and the car remained in pickering for the day ...Congrats to top 3 and was also nice to see Brett get a pb and the smile on his face after the run was priceless....Thinking i would have to be recovered back to stoke (AA)...the car kicked in second attempt and got me home faultlessly ....Crank sensor on order !

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, abbof3f said:

Thinking i would have to be recovered back to stoke (AA)...the car kicked in second attempt and got me home faultlessly ....Crank sensor on order !

Glad she started Mark :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

isoaritfirst

Nice to get out on the slope again. It’s been far too long. 

I had a problem with the flap on the Jazz. It wouldn’t retract properly, but worked perfectly on the last half of the throw. 

Stripped it out earlier to find the output gear of the Futaba servo had a bent tooth. 1D821141-7161-4357-8077-FEC5003141D4.thumb.jpeg.4c278d1eac44726416ab54b742e6d38c.jpeg

Perhaps HV  servos are just too powerful for their own good.

these are the HV version of the bulletproof 3150. 

7 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

Nice to get out on the slope again. It’s been far too long. 

I had a problem with the flap on the Jazz. It wouldn’t retract properly, but worked perfectly on the last half of the throw. 

Stripped it out earlier to find the output gear of the Futaba servo had a bent tooth. 1D821141-7161-4357-8077-FEC5003141D4.thumb.jpeg.4c278d1eac44726416ab54b742e6d38c.jpeg

Perhaps HV  servos are just too powerful for their own good.

these are the HV version of the bulletproof 3150. 

Looks like it’s gone beyond the end of the ‘half’ gear, so that end tooth was doing all the work - when full meshed you have a couple of teeth taking load - did the model bounce back on landing pushing the flap back, or land down on a grass tuft pushing the flap up beyond normal travel?

Simon

isoaritfirst

The picture is a little misleading Simon. The position of the gear is just where it ended up after i had removed the head.

The tooth that was causing the trouble is at the halfway point of the gear. Causing the surface to move half way but no further. The end one was probably bent while I was removing the lds head. 

The landing looked fine. But is of course the most likely cause of the damage. I’m not blaming Futaba, just making a comment about how powerful motors are more likely to find weak spots elsewhere. 

Belated thanks to Jon, Mark and all helpers for an excellent comp. I thought the standard was very high, with some great flying in testing conditions. The sight and sound of the Redshifts was something to behold, it's rare to see such a truly distinctive model in F3F. And well done to Brett on his excellent 38 and PB.

Will post some pics asap, though it may be a couple of days.

- Mike

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rc-soar said:

Some pics would be great Mike, but no pressure to get them done straight away.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the complements on this thread and on the day itself. Its encouraging when everyone joins in with your excitement and it makes it all worth while. On that note I wanted to say a massive congratulations to Nigel as he also set a new PB on the day. Well done mate, cracking result.  :thumbsup:

Brett

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rc-soar said:

Belated thanks to Jon, Mark and all helpers for an excellent comp. I thought the standard was very high, with some great flying in testing conditions. The sight and sound of the Redshifts was something to behold, it's rare to see such a truly distinctive model in F3F. And well done to Brett on his excellent 38 and PB.

- Mike

Looking forward to your pics Mike :thumbsup:.

Congrats on your PB Nigel :thumbsup:

Anyone capture some Redshift runs on video :poke:

Stu.