SilentPilot

Nearly got a flight

SilentPilot

I had high hopes of an entry for the F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge today but the weather conspired against me :( 

At around 10 o’clock this morning the weather looked promising. Clear blue skies with cumulus developing nicely. I got permission from the Mrs to pack my DLG in her car when I took it to get some fuel, she said I could ‘play out’ for a bit (how patronising!), so I ventured off to my local flat site.

As is so often the case, the weather looked too good, too early and by 1200 it had overdeveloped and gone flat. The field was muddier than I expected, there were a couple of large dogs being put through their paces and the wind had got up considerably. All minor problems that on their own I might work around but it was just too much with it all together...

Such a shame because I know conditions in that field can be fantastic. I’ve thermalled my UMX Sbach deadstick there a few times and had long flights with it :) 

Oh well...

Tony

paulj

I got out on Sunday with my MiniQ, but the best I could manage was about 2:55, so I didn't feel it worth posting. I probably had three of four flights where I contacted lift, but it blew through the field very quickly. I also avoided slope soaring off the trees on the down wind boundary - after all, that's cheating isn't it!!  As you found, the field was very muddy, and I needed to wear wellys - not conducive to good launching techniques...

SilentPilot

Indeed!

I've not got many flights in with this model either, even less hand catches, maybe only one or two...
Once I've got some more experience I'm sure I'll fly in more challenging conditions. One step at a time though!

Tony