Buster46

F5J - National League and Results

Buster46

Is there any way to keep track on the national league and where everyone is in the table of results?

I know the results are posted at the end of the year, but just curious if there is a way of monitoring during the season?

If this is a stupid question, please tell me, but it does seem a little  over complicated to find results and keep a track of the years results.

If in the future we wanted to change he way we select a national team, based on the years performance rather than one comp, then it might be beneficial to start a table that updates monthly to show everyone where the year is going.

Just my thoughts, but happy to be corrected if this is either not possible or has been previously dismissed.

Regards

Eamon

Gary B
Posted (edited)

Results will (should) appear here on the BMFA website as long as the CDs submit them.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by Gary B
Link

Buster46
1 minute ago, Gary B said:

Results will (should) appear here on the BMFA website as long as the CDs submit them.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for that Gary, but we have had two F5J contests in the southern area so far and I don’t know hope many elsewhere and there are no 2018 results up yet.

I guess i may be wrong, but would like to be able to compare scores etc.

Eamon

Gary B

Either the results have not been submitted or the BMFA staff have not yet inserted them.

I can see control line entries for 2018, some disciplines are traditionally better than others on this.

I also like to keep track of the 'scores on the doors', the GliderScore programme can spit out launch height and landing tables which I find interesting (depressing?!!).

Full size gliding has had live 'maggot racing' for a number of years, downloaded telemetry showing where the gliders are in 3D for spectators who demand this.

I would suggest that any F5J results from competitions run by BARCS members are submitted to our webmaster (Austin) for inclusion on this site at least, whether he has the time to copy in results from other comps I don't know but that would also be useful.  

Buster46

Thanks Gary. 

I am unfortunately new to this but would be grateful if we could have a thread with the F5J results on it. 

That way at least, we could keep track ourselves. 

As you say the results are usually depressing for me too, but one can live in hope 🤪

Regards

Eamon

Gary B

I will see if we can improve things.

Can you tell me who the CDs were? I can contact them.

Buster46

Gary

I can’t remember the first, think it may have been Tony Merrit or Pete Mitchell. The last in the south was Kevin Beal. 

I apologise but I have no idea who did the other comps nationally in the mid and north. 

As I say is just an idea, as the BMFA site appears a little slow.  Not sure if there is an issue with staff or someone responsible?

Ifthere is anything I can do myself I am more than happy to collate and manage responses. I don’t know expect someone else to do all the work.

Eamon

Gary B

Thanks,

It's not straightforward with F5J as it is a BMFA league but the situation could be better.

• Like 1

ThermalBoy

For my sins, I have competed in RC Soaring comps since the very first days up to the present day. So I've seen and enjoyed RC Soaring's golden days right up to the present situation we face today.  So here are my personal thoughts on the subject .

I have to agree along with others, that in practical terms, there is no national F5J league. The simple reason for this is that there is no comparity between the various regional F5J leagues. We in the S/SE are extremely lucky that electric RC soaring is so well supported with many F5J and BARCS ELG contests during the year,  often attracting 25+ entries, 99% of whom are flying open class competitive moulded models. Compare that to the situation other regional areas have to deal\cope with and the disparity between the regional leagues becomes obvious. 

Scotland, if the weather ever allows them to run F5J comps, do well to get 11 entries with the North Area  averaging around 12-15 entries over the season. However 30-40% of the North entries are often pilots flying relatively un-competitive 2M models against Open Class Models .  Running 2 classes within one comp like this to try and attract new pilots to comp flying though is a good idea IMO as is allowing motor re-starts.

Surely a more meaningful way to decide a national champion would be to take the top 2-3 flyers from each regional league and have them fly 3-4  rounds against each other at the Nationals in a "National League Flyoff" just as BARCS did for many years with their Open Class at RadioGlide to decide the overall UK league champion . Some would say thats still unfair as it takes no account of the size of each league. Thats true, but at least it would be meaningful as you all have to fly against each other! Who ever wins after four 15minute fly-off rounds is truly deserving of being the "National League Champion."

What we have observed here in the SE is that people these days are not prepared to do lengthy car journeys to and from comps any more. Often no more than one hour each way being the maximum acceptable. I think this is perhaps one of the reasons that the highly populated SE area comps are better supported. Cost of travelling of course also comes into it. I just wish that every area had the same level of comp support we are fortunate enough to enjoy in the SE. We could then perhaps have a truly comparable/meaningful National League. The only way foward IMO is to continue with our current regional league set-up (in whatever form they may take going forward), as they are in effect mini national leagues where you are competing on a level playing field often flying against many of the same pilots each time if they choose to come.

Now that  the method of choosing a UK team to represent us at EC & WC championships is down to one single non league "National" Team Trial/Comp,  it really doesnt matter who organises/administers regional leagues.  There are so few  of us that are prepared to host/organise/run any form of comp, that whatever works best for these few individuals along with the pilots who support them,  should be the guiding influence if RC Soaring comps are to have any long term future at all.

Be interesting to hear others thoughts on the "National F5J League."

Colin

Buster46

Thanks for that Colin. 

I personally drive over 3 hours to and from most comps but realise that may be in the minority. 

Really interested in what you had to say. Has highlighted many areas I, as a newcomer to this, was unaware of. 

Regards

Eamon

ThermalBoy
57 minutes ago, Buster46 said:

Thanks for that Colin. 

I personally drive over 3 hours to and from most comps but realise that may be in the minority. 

Really interested in what you had to say. Has highlighted many areas I, as a newcomer to this, was unaware of. 

Regards

Eamon

Hi Eamon

Your never ending enthusiasm to come to comps despite very long driving distances is amazing. We all just wish there were more people like you who are willing to do this.  There are relatively few of us left though who are . Some call it " The remaining Hardcore" !!

Best

Colin

• Like 1

Peter

It is a little unfair to blame the BMFA website for not posting F5J competition results on the web site because you or I are not authorised to post them, they have to be vetted and posted by the SFTC Competitions coordinator. The problem is 'who is this?' There is nothing on the BMFA site that tells you who this is and I can find nothing in the minutes of meetings that specifies any appointment. Strange, as I am the BARCS rep on the SFTC!

However it really matters very little because Colin is quite correct that the way in which the league is currently structured make any results meaningless. There are nominally North, South etc regional leagues but in reality all the score are just lumped together  so the person with the highest score even on some weird averaging formula is the winner even if he (or she) has never flown against the person who finished second. Imaging a Premier UK football league being calculated by adding the results of the English and Scottish leagues together  - Celtic forever!

The old BARCS system of proper regional leagues with the final winner being decided by a head to head fly off at Radioglide worked well but this event was held in the May of the following year and the BMFA dinner and prizegiving is in November of the previous year. Anyone fancy attending a fly off at Buckminster in November?

If you want to change this then the simple solution is to stand for election to the SFTC and get voted on!

• Like 1

Buster46

Thanks Pete

Again I am greatful for the information. 

I was not looking to cast blame but just wanted to understand the format etc. Yours and Colin’s posts have identified that well for me now. 

Regards

Eamon

Richard Swindells

Just run a national league. It really is that simple. There are capable pilots in every region. 

Best 4 results with 2x eligible comps in each region..(Scotland ,north, Midlands, southern.)

If you think they have it easier in another region, just take a weekend to travel and go and get your "free points". (After all travel is required to compete in a WC)

Team selects and flyoffs are a stupid way to pick the best pilots. 

Richard Swindells
On 17/05/2018 at 20:06, Peter said:

Imaging a Premier UK football league being calculated by adding the results of the English and Scottish leagues together  - Celtic forever!

Straw man argument. 

In a national league man city would play against Celtic.