Peter Sainsbury

EssexBOF

Sad to hear of another old BARCS member of many years passing away. Knew  Peter for many years on the thermal comp circuit, where he ran the Bromley Open event for many years.  Tended to think he was the Bromley Club as everything revolved around him, with apologies to any of their other members who may think otherwise. His models whilst on the Open circuit always seemed to be finished i blue and yellow.

Got to know him more when he moved North of the river, near Southend, where he joined our small group  of EQFA and took up electric  gliders, as most of us have done with advancing years.  He used to phone me up as to what power trains to use, in this new phase to him.

I did know he was over 80, but not 87!!  I always remember him at the Open Comps walking around when not flying , with a clip board, taking note of all the scores..

We seem to be losing so many of our number now, important ones as well who gave a lot to thermal soaring over the years.

Brian Austin

BARCS 230

He was up until this year the Kent Interclub Points coordinator, a task he had done for more years than I can recall. I always found him very friendly and talked on the phone after all the competitions he couldn't come to.  Here's a few photos of him without a clip board, a Kent Cup team member trophy, his Stork in his colours, timing with his Bromley colleagues, and showing him a the winner of the 1987 Kent Interclub West Kent Gliding League (he may well have won offers but the is the only record I have).

He told me he bought an 8 channel radio and built a glider which he flew off a bungee.as he did not know any other modellers he taught himself. The radio had throttle on the right so he put the rudder and elevator on the left stick and controlled the model with his left thumb. He met Derek Collings and then joined Bromley Soaring Club.

When he sold his house in Eltham he searched for another for over 6 months during which time he left his models in a caravan in Phil Ramsey’s front garden in Sussex.

Kent Interclub and I'll miss him.

Peter Kent Cup winning team.jpg

P6020773.JPG

Alan,%20Peter%20and%20Derek.jpg

004.jpg

Im afraid I never met Peter, but it was only a few days ago that, following me chasing up subs for the Invicta Model Flyers Club, he sent me a nice email apologising and saying he would send a cheque.  I had no idea he was ill - perhaps he wasn't and it was sudden?

Simon

It wasn't sudden Simon he had just come out of hospital and was too weak to take anymore treatment. He  had fluid on his lungs drained last year and earlier this and before that had a couple of years where he had a problem with him hands which didn't get better until 12 months or so another diagnosis discovered he had been treated incorrectly for a year and eventually got back to driving his car (but not down to Kent)  

16 hours ago, Nicholls said:

He was up until this year the Kent Interclub Points coordinator, a task he had done for more years than I can recall. I always found him very friendly and talked on the phone after all the competitions he couldn't come to.  Here's a few photos of him without a clip board, a Kent Cup team member trophy, his Stork in his colours, timing with his Bromley colleagues, and showing him a the winner of the 1987 Kent Interclub West Kent Gliding League (he may well have won offers but the is the only record I have).

He told me he bought an 8 channel radio and built a glider which he flew off a bungee.as he did not know any other modellers he taught himself. The radio had throttle on the right so he put the rudder and elevator on the left stick and controlled the model with his left thumb. He met Derek Collings and then joined Bromley Soaring Club.

When he sold his house in Eltham he searched for another for over 6 months during which time he left his models in a caravan in Phil Ramsey’s front garden in Sussex.

Kent Interclub and I'll miss him.

Peter Kent Cup winning team.jpg

P6020773.JPG

Alan,%20Peter%20and%20Derek.jpg

004.jpg

Was that a co- incidence, Ian, the results from 1987 and Peter leaving us at 87!!. Also he looked the same then as he did when I last saw him acouple of years ago.

Peter was a great guy and a formidable soaring competitor - many a time when  you thought you were doing ok a blue and dayglow yellow model would be spotted quietly slaughtering you score in another part of the sky, or picking up an indecently low bit of lift to scupper your chances. He had a great sense of humour and I always found him a really nice bloke. soaring will miss him deeply  and is the poorer for his passing . RIP Peter    

It wasn't sudden Simon he had just come out of hospital and was too weak to take anymore treatment. He  had fluid on his lungs drained last year and earlier this and before that had a couple of years where he had a problem with him hands which didn't get better until 12 months or so another diagnosis discovered he had been treated incorrectly for a year and eventually got back to driving his car (but not down to Kent)  

The funeral of Peter Sainsbury will take place at Falconwood Crematorium "Small Chapel" Crown Woods Way, London SE9 2AZ on Thursday 14th June at 1345. This will be followed by a wake at Oxleas Woods Café Crown Woods Lane, London SE18 3JA at 1530. Please advise me if you intend going to the wake?

21 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

Peter Sainsbury with his old freiend Alan Twine in 1996

DSCN0569-001.JPG

There's  a whole heap of mischief in one picture (not to mention a whole load of slots that were going so well as I landed, only to realise one or both were still in the stratosphere and there were several minutes remaining )

Peter enthusiastically encouraged my family unit, whenever we left Essex, to go south of the Thames for Thermal Comps in the nineties. We loved flying in the Bromley events.

I remember watching in awe as he flew out the majority of certain slots at tree height, perilously close to distant trees, displaying nerves of steel. 

He was also a generous and kind man and has often helped me over the years, he will be missed.