pete beadle

Help with info on a Nymph glider needed

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me discover more details about my latest project - a Nymph

The Nymph has been donated to me to be used on the ISA Nostalgia Day (Saturday 8th September 2018)and I'm hoping someone in BARCS  can help me find out some details that will help me with its restoration........Firstly, who made it? It looks like it was made from a kit, with white glass fuselage and canopy so, any idea who kitted it? Apparently there have been several Nymph gliders kitted, including a scale version. When was it designed and by whom? It has two pairs of wings with it at 100 and 114" spans and an intriguing locking mechanism for the wing retainers fitted........apart from that.....I know nothing!.....except, sorry, nearly forgot, there is a vid on Youtube currently posted by Nick Gates of Bristol titled "The Nymph an 80's glider" posted in February 2014

ANY information about this Nymph will be appreciated with grateful thanks for the help, so.......can you help me? Please reply here or PM me if you'd prefer

Herewith some pics of the model

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

20180501_193843.jpg

Nymph fuselage 003.JPG

Nymph fuselage 004.JPG

pete beadle

Hi all

A quick update regarding the Nymph

I asked my old friend Graham Ashby (RCM&E) and now Mytimemedia if he could have a rummage through all the "Old Timer" stuff from his RCM&E days and see if he had anything on the Nymph

He responded by referring an e-mail to me he had received from Roger Gardner, which is, hopefully, self explanatory..........

Hi Graham,

I remember this glider from when `I used to fly from radio hill on Chobham common in Surrey around 1976.

I am pretty sure it was designed by a man named Peter whose surname I cannot remember,he made the moulds for the fuselage and all the templates for the wing ribs.

I am also pretty sure that he put the whole design and manufacture,copyright up for auction on E bay for around £1200 I cannot remember  if it sold.

Peter was around 40 yrs old and lived with his mum in Chertsey, I myself am 71 yrs old so I don't know if he would still be around.

The Nymph was a very good flyer both sloping and off the bungee.If this is any help to Pete Beadle please feel free to contact me. 

Regards Roger Gardner

I also started the refurbishment, adding a new fin post to the fuselage and fitting the servos receiver etc, and then partially re-covering the Nymph's wings,( I attach a pic).  Next job is the first test flight, delayed by the totally unpredictable weather lately, and I'll update everyone when that milestone is reached:)

I have almost finished the Frank Zaic 100" so, am hopefully on course for being able to have both with me on ISA Nostalgia Day (8th September)

Wish me luck!........ 

Regards

Pete Beadle

BARCS1702

004.JPG

SilentPilot

The fuselage side profile and wind mounting arrangement (spars and pins) reminds me of my Sunbird! Has James got anything to do with it?

Never seen anything with an all flying rudder before though 🤪

Tony

pete beadle

Hi Tony

"All-flying" rudders were all the rage back in the day.....along with fixed horizontal stabilisers and separate elevators

You'd be doing James a bit of a dis-service here considering the age of the original Nymph mate!:):yes:

As I said before I think I'd be looking for a fly-fisherman first when looking at the wing shape, I wonder if Roger was into fly fishing?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

grj

Peter

When I was a wee lad (22) and still learning bungee launching on a Graupner Amigo I coveted the Nymph as my next model. I can remember it being marketed through Addlestone Models, though the attached link offers a different view. One of us has a poor memory and I am happy to concede.

As I recall it has a nifty little nylon  wing retention system with a lever and cam which rotated to lock the wings on to the fuselage.

The moulds and bits were up for sale on fleebay a year or so back and the seller was I believe the son of the designer and lived in Addlestone. Perhaps I was right afterall

Post 287 and on are the interesting ones and maybe if you go back through the thread.

Apologies Austin if linking to another forum is bending the rules.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/slope-soaring/the-retro-glider-thread/280/

G

pete beadle

Hi Graham

That info sounds very interesting, well done!

Trouble is I can't get the link to work........for a start, on the forum it's not the blue colour it needs to be to show it's a live link

Perhaps someone else could help who uses rcmf? I'd really appreciate some help on this

BTW I spent this afternoon stripping the tissue off the Frank Zaic 100" and recovering it with antique Solartex......getting there!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Many thanks

I cheated.......I went into RCMF.......then Slope Soaring.........then the Retro Glider Thread

Magical! Just what I wanted, thanks everyone:thumbsup::):):)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm happy to report that the next major landmark in the Nymph saga occurred today......SHE FLEW!:):yes::thumbsup:

Herewith a couple of pics showing her washed and waxed and looking like (reasonably) new again

Launched by Mike Ellins (ex long time ISA Chairman) into a fitful north-easterly from the Car Park slope at Ivinghoe, with dozens of onlookers looking on.....

Elevator at zero degrees to the fuselage datum, CG at 33%, rudder plumb centre, she rose magnificently into the very first thermal of the day and I flew her 'til the sink came through after about ten minutes, smoothly and under complete control she circled, performed a flat figure of eight and moved purposefully from patch of lift to patch of lift until I brought her in to be caught by the arrester wires of the long grass almost at our feet........BRILLIANT!

So now just the Frank Zaic Thermic 100 to maiden.....she's varnished waxed and polished, revealing all the lovely wooden construction, so roll on the next light wind day on the slope.....can't wait:):):)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Ivinghoe 30th August 2018 020.JPG

Ivinghoe 30th August 2018 015.JPG

wookman

Lovely Pete, there's an in built elegance to anything elliptical.

• Like 1

Nick Gates

Hi Pete,

It's my YouTube Vid, but it's Butser, not Bristol. 

I bought my Nymph about four /five years ago,  with the horizontal stabilisers missing. Made these as I thought fit, took two inches of warp out of one wing, and flew her in the club competitions over the years where she performed so well she won last year in the Open Glider Class.

I was flying mine only yesterday, achieving full 10:25 mins off the bungee.

She has a wing loading of just 6oz/sq".

I have made a plywood box that keeps the wings flat and now stores the fusalage safely. 

It was designed and produced by Peter Snowdon, at 3 Brydon Rd, Addlestone. 

About two years ago when the son of the original designer (Clive Snowdon)  was clearing out his late fathers house I had a chance to see where the model and kit had been produced.

A long double garage held the moulds for the fusalages (many, each improved), the formers for the canopies,  the injection mouldings for the rudder horns, wing locks and canopy catches. 

Plans, wing decals, there was a whole product ready to go.

As there was a set of plans there, I offered up my tail to see if my design was close to the original concept.  I was surprised to find I was within 1/4" all round! 

I purchased from him some spare fusalages,  and a 100" slope version,  with a slightly smaller tail and rudder, and foam veneered wings.

One of the fusalages had been converted to electric. 

If I recall he produced about 120 fusalages.  He also repaired musical instruments.  The quality of the fusalages is very high, as was the fit of the canopy. There was no evidence of dust and fume extraction in the workshop,  and this cannot have helped with longevity of Peter.

It is a truly glorious model, thermals well, and will slope a few knots breeze.

There are many around Addlestone and they flew on Chobham Common.

All items went onto eBay,  but were not sold. I was in communication with the son via email,  but his email address are on an old laptop that is very hard to start. 

I recall reading on another forum the story of when Peter and his son turned up at Butser Hill, on the south Slope.  There was little wind, and all other modellers were grounded.  They rigged their Nymphs and launched them off, where there proceed to fly beautifully. 

The other modellers followed suit, only most ended up in the trees below, unable to stay up!

A Legend! 

Hope this is of interest! 

Nick.

FB_IMG_1535927186842.jpg

FB_IMG_1535927203208.jpg

FB_IMG_1535927575228.jpg

FB_IMG_1535927609027.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Nick

Thank you very much for all this info.....and especially the pics......

As you say, the Nymph is a very capable soarer, especially in low-wind situations.

As a predominantly slope flyer I was impressed with its low wind performance and so had no qualms regarding its  "maiden" in my hands, because it was from a slope. This was basically because, over the forty plus years of flying basically flat-field soarers on the slope, I have noticed that they are remarkably effective at doing their job from a slope , rather than a flat field, because I trim them and fly them as if they were going to be used from a flat field rather than the "lift rich" environment of the average slope. That is to say, to fly SLOWLY, flying the way the plane was designed to fly, and looking positively for thermal assistance, rather than quickly with the expected added bonus of copious amounts of slope lift to play with/in:)

Anyway, can I remind you, and any other lovers of veteran and vintage planes that this Saturday, the 8th, IS ISA Nostalgia Day, and I'll be there, with the Nymph and the Frank Zaic 100" soarer in case any visitors would like to inspect either or both......Unfortunately. as usual, the forward forecast for Saturday is not particularly positive (could be windy, could be cold, might be a light shower or two) but, if all else fails it WON'T stop us talking to excess about the 'planes we have positive, nostalgic thoughts about.....and going home with that little glow that always appears when the conversation turns to all things nostalgic.....and especially model gliders, sorry UAV's......:yes::thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

pete beadle

Hi all

As promised ...... details of the maiden flight of the Frank Zaic Thermic 100........YES it flew today:thumbsup::)

As before for the Nymph, the venue was the Ivinghoe Car Park slope, as before the winds were light but with less thermal about, and, to make the day complete Mike Ellins was happy to help with the launch........complete anti-climax, the Thermic was launched into what wind there was. It moved upwards gradually and quite gracefully but, after a couple of passes across the slope I called a landing to prevent any danger of breaking it first time out.....I have to say it looked the part and stirred interest back in the car park with passers by asking how old it was, how it flew and "where is the engine"

Roll on this Saturday for ISA Nostalgia Day

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Frank Zaic 100 005.JPG

Frank Zaic 100 014.JPG