Bluebird servos failures

SteveH

Has anyone else had problems with Bluebird servos?

Recently I have fitted out 2 expensive F5J type soarers with Bluebird 105HV servos.

I have had 3 servos fail on flaps and 2 fail directly from the supplier before installing them in a glider.

Reading the recent reviews on the suppliers website I am not the only person to have experienced problems with these servos.

The latest failure was a surprise as the servo lasted for 6  X 10 minute flights before completely burning out.

My advice to anyone is that these servos are definitely not suitable for use in F5J type models especially on flaps.

Needless to say I am now removing these servos and replacing them with more reliable alternatives.

image.jpeg

I hope it didn't cost you a model too. It is a real shame that manufacturers put such rubbish into the market. 

If this thread was about mks it would get renoved on the forum rules about airing dirty laundry.

Let's apply the rules evenly....

• Like 1

The 'mks rule':

This is not the place to settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'. Any posts deemed to be of this nature will be removed. Settle your disputes in private please, and away from this forum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteveH said:

Has anyone else had problems with Bluebird servos?

Recently I have fitted out 2 expensive F5J type soarers with Bluebird 105HV servos.

I have had 3 servos fail on flaps and 2 fail directly from the supplier before installing them in a glider.

Reading the recent reviews on the suppliers website I am not the only person to have experienced problems with these servos.

The latest failure was a surprise as the servo lasted for 6  X 10 minute flights before completely burning out.

My advice to anyone is that these servos are definitely not suitable for use in F5J type models especially on flaps.

Needless to say I am now removing these servos and replacing them with more reliable alternatives.

image.jpeg

Yo do not say what voltage you are putting through the servos. I use a separate U Bec running off the Li Po that cuts the Volts to5 never had a problem.

Have now used Turnigy 777 or 712 for flaps and now never use anything else, as MKS have failed in the past(6125 mini)

I also use a separate UBEC. Mine is running at 7.4 V.

I was always a little concerned about running these servos at 5V  as they are rated at 6 to 8.4 V.

Interestingly that the MKS equivalent 6100, they look the same to me, only show the operating voltage as 5 volts, but as you say the Bluebird goes up to 8.4. I would err to the lower figure. Would not think that you need that high figure to power an F5j model.

I also have some MKS 6100 servos and have found them to be quite good.

The Bluebird servos are definitely not an equivalent in terms of quality - just cheap. As I mentioned in a previous post I am not the only person to have suffered problems with these servos. Take a look at the reviews.

7.4 V was chosen to be in the middle of the manufacturers spec.

19 hours ago, wookman said:

I hope it didn't cost you a model too. It is a real shame that manufacturers put such rubbish into the market. 

Sorry Wookman - missed you post.

Luckily It did not cost me a model   -   but the landing was interesting!!

That is something to be thankful for, relatively easy to sort out a change of undies. Seriously though a burn out like that could have taken out a bec or shorted a lipo, that would put a different complexion on things!

Reading the reviews as you suggested, there would appear to be 4 bad reviews out of 26 say 15%

Would never use them on Flaps, as there are better options out there.

Have used the small 101 Bluebird servo, as it is small enough to fit in limited space, with no problems. Used to use Hyperion Ds09 amd but they are no longer available, which is a shame. But even had one of them fail on an aileron some 5 years ago. And the Hyperion DS095's were pretty grim and NOT cheap. Most people I know like myself gave up with them due to stripped gears when used on Flaps.

As I said have used Turnigy 777 or 712 Wing servo's for all my moulded models for flaps and Hitec Hb5065's for ailerons. regard MKS as being overpriced.

As a friend told me who goes to China on business they have whole towns set up to make one item, from electrical to household items, so a most of these item are manufactured in the same factory and re badged.

In fact if you look at the reviews in detail there are 7 complaints from 26 reviews which is almost 27%.

Even more concerning is that the later reviews are worse than the earlier ones possibly indicating a  reduction in quality control.

I agree with your comments on Turnigy servos - they develop some wear in the gearboxes over time but very reliable.

We are now in an age of expensive moulded and non moulded airframes, mostly ultra reliable radio control systems. Yet the last link in the chain seems to be the weakest. Bad install apart, why is this? With my little knowledge of electronics, I would have thought that servos would be one of the easiest items to get right. Or are the manufacturers using this as a cash cow? 

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

I agree with your comments on Turnigy servos - they develop some wear in the gearboxes over time but very reliable.

On the positive side at least the Turnigy electronics last long enough for mechanical wear to become an issue!

20 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

We are now in an age of expensive moulded and non moulded airframes, mostly ultra reliable radio control systems. Yet the last link in the chain seems to be the weakest. Bad install apart, why is this? With my little knowledge of electronics, I would have thought that servos would be one of the easiest items to get right. Or are the manufacturers using this as a cash cow? 

What is even more annoying is the hype from the suppliers making unsubstantiated and inaccurate claims.

when I complained I was told that I was the only person who was having problems.

Had a few BB servos fail in a very short time, I've since switched to using Emax on a lot of models and even the £3.50 metal geared ones are quick strong and take a beating.   

I don't see Emax mentioned much, quite surprising as modellers tend to be a thrifty lot. They perform way above their price. 

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

I've run a number for quite a while at 7.0V and none has burned out.  But a different recent problem: several which I'm having to remove because they refuse to centre properly (and I'm not hyper-fussy - they keep drifting off by several mm..)

Jerry Lunt
On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:14, Darren_O said:

Had a few BB servos fail in a very short time, I've since switched to using Emax on a lot of models and even the £3.50 metal geared ones are quick strong and take a beating.   

I don't see Emax mentioned much, quite surprising as modellers tend to be a thrifty lot. They perform way above their price. 

I've used Emax servos without problem too.

On 1 June 2018 at 10:14, Nick Jackson said:

I've run a number for quite a while at 7.0V and none has burned out.  But a different recent problem: several which I'm having to remove because they refuse to centre properly (and I'm not hyper-fussy - they keep drifting off by several mm..)

Strangely enough I have had one of these Bluebird servos perform in exactly the same way! It would not keep an accurate neutral.

Seems like another failure mode for these servos.

Clearly these servos are only good for foamies!