Sign in to follow this  
BrianL

Hello from Birmingham

BrianL

I’ve been flying on and off for over 40 years and fly small electric power and slope soarers.  I’d appreciate any information on local slopes as the closest I know of is Burton Dassett.  Most of my slope soaring is when I get chance to travel further afield.

pete beadle

Hi Brian L

Welcome to the BARCS Forum

Have you tried Slopehunter?

My nearest slope is a 60+mile round trip, but I also now have the use of a local hill which is a 10 mile round trip, for me, small (up to 3 metre) electric launch gliders are the way to go - good luck with the hunt for a "proper" slope site though. I have to admit, I liked Burton Dasset when I was there a couple of years ago

I'm also sure you'll get some good suggestions from other members here too.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

satinet

The long mynd might not be too far 

Andy_B

birmingham is a big conurbation    depends on which bit your in 

BrianL

On the south side, not far from M42/M40 junction 

pete beadle

Hi Brian

I think that looking west from Birmingham would be the first area to try, there are a few good slopes along the line of the M40, just as there is a similar concentration around the A27 "darn sarf" Are Marlborough and Milk Hill/ Pewsey Downs too far?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

isoaritfirst

The South Cotswold lot fly around Stroud area. Several sites. All easily accessible and quick travel times on the motorways. 

Malvern is also close but takes time to walk up. 

Mynd is reliable slopes for mist directions with short walks but more difficult drive 

pete beadle

Hi Mike

"Malvern is also close but takes time to walk up. 

Mynd is reliable slopes for mist directions with short walks but more difficult drive"

The last time I flew at Malvern the climb to the top nearly killed me!:yes: But I'm intrigued how you use the direction the mist is going, to assess reliable slopes :thumbsup::D

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702