EssexBOF

Rod Potts

EssexBOF

Sad to hear that another old thermal flyer/friend has passed away. Have known Rod over the the last few years, as he was a staunch supporter of the Bartlet's events from their inception. He was a ardent modeller in his youth flying on the South Downs in his youth also a prominent member of the Invictar Club for many years.

I will miss our weekly chats on the phone with all the gossip, from our areas

As a little tribute, the last comp he flew in last year, where he place 6th 

pete beadle

It's getting to the  point where I'm having to take a deep breath before opening and reading any new posts on "News and Information"

I first met Rod Potts in Northwick Park Open Space in NW London, he was "crewing" for Sean Bannister, while Sean was practising for the upcoming F3B Nationals, back in the late 70's, and I've met him many, many times subsequently in Southern and Midlands League comps.

Rod was the dictionary definition of a "character" and could always be relied upon to have all the latest news and  every one of the latest jokes going around, which he told with relish 

His carefully trimmed goatee beard often quivered with laughter as he related his own take on the soaring scene which was never dull. Rod used to call me "Sticky Pete" because of my employment with Henkel Chemicals, the makers of Supergloy brand adhesives, and I, in turn, always called him "Potty Rod", an endearment that lasted over 30 plus years, and which he took in good part and never complained about

I shall miss him greatly, only yesterday I was working on the "Alacrity" he sold me years ago, so that I could compete in the Bartletts League, using that will conjure up bittersweet memories now. My condolences to his family and my sympathies to his large circle of friends, all of whom will miss him greatly, I'm sure.

Goodbye Rod, rest in peace, I will miss you, as will so many others

"Sticky" Pete

BARCS1702 

simon_t

This is heartbreaking news.  Pete’s notes above captured Rod very well.  I first met Rod in the mid 70s at the Ron Finiss Cup team thermal competition.  And we flew together many times since.  I’m happy to say that we talked for each other at a few comps last season, including the Bartletts, and Rod was a pleasure to work with.  

One characteristic that Pete didn’t mention was the way Rod would sidle up to you, and whisper some gossip or bit of information in your ear.  He was the eyes and ears of thermal soaring.

I will miss him greatly, as will the Invicta Club and members, where he worked tirelessly on the committee for many years.

RIP Rod (and Heaven look out....)

Simon Thornton

D2323B99-618F-4140-BCB7-0CCEDC649315.jpeg

thermaldoctor

So sorry 😞

I spoke to him several times over the last few months. Still full of enthusiasm and stories of old.

RIP Rod.

Neil 

swarrans

That's really shocking I hadn't heard this until now.  I hope Barbara is ok - I never really know whether to call in times like this but I'll talk to other people in the Invicta Model Flyers club and try to get a steer..

Simon

EssexBOF

Nice shot of Rod with Keith Fisher & Jack Fisher 2012 at Bartlett,s, which he said was his favourite venue. Strange as he seemed to find the tree's  at times😕

JacK Fisher with dad Keith & Rod Potts.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Brian

I much prefer Simon's shot of Rod and his F3J Pike Perfect, and, as I've just bought an F5J  Pike Perfect ET myself, in a lovely shade of"Burnt Orange", so, I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking of Rod every time I use it............Don't you just love the expression on Rod's face?

"Go on, crack a joke about it.....I dare you!"🤨

Yes, memories are made of this........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF
2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Brian

I much prefer Simon's shot of Rod and his F3J Pike Perfect, and, as I've just bought an F5J  Pike Perfect ET myself, in a lovely shade of"Burnt Orange", so, I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking of Rod every time I use it............Don't you just love the expression on Rod's face?

"Go on, crack a joke about it.....I dare you!"

Yes, memories are made of this........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

From my memory, Perfect ET's are a bit tender, be careful.🤐🤐

Austin

Rod, always a gentleman. Sad to hear it. Rip Rod.

EricF

I am very sorry to learn of Rod Pott's passing.

I first met Rod on the Bluebell Hill and Holly Hill slopes just outside Maidstone in the early 70's when we were all learning how to slope soar. I flew against Rod in the Kent Interclub Thermal events and BARCS Open competitions in the 80's and with him in the BMFA  Silent Flight Nationals at RAF Cranwell and the Deal/Vlissingen Town Twinning competitions with the Delta Club in the Netherlands - he was always a great guy to be with on the flying field and at his home. Whenever I visited his garden workshop, which he had built over an adjacent footpath  (which had somehow been blocked off) and under which was a 4" diameter gas main, I always joked that he would one day blow himself up if the main ever developed a leak - luckily that section of gas main has now been decommissioned.

My sincere condolences to his wife Barbara and their family.

Rob Cavell

Rod Potts,

So sorry to hear of the passing of Rod whom together with my old mates Brian Pearson (RIP), Sam Lawrence (RIP) & Brian Barfoot I first met oodles of years ago in the 70’s when BARCS was new & the four of us who always attended gliding comps together were referred to by Rod as the Three Musketeers!

I remember in later years it was Rod who introduced Sam & I to the dark art of Glass coating of wing surfaces!    

Reading the previous tributes it seems that most of us have known Rod for 40 years plus, well we are all the richer for it!

My condolences to all the family.

Dartanian?

Nicholls

Funeral service for Rod Potts will be held on Monday 18June2018 @14.45  Vintners park crematorium
Bearstead Road, Maidstone  ME145LG

He made me laugh and you couldn't be but interested in his stories that went back many years, as we did.  He got Sheila and I to go back and see  Grasstrack racing again last year (he was a competitor in Sussex in his younger days before deciding he had broken enough bones)

In addition to being a Kent Interclub enthusiast he also joined the Bloobirds - Deal - Vlissingen twinning in the early 1980's (here 5th from left front. The first photo is my favourite of him from Rod's Facebook profile (taken at Bartlett's by Jason or Josie, so thanks). 

His gliders seemed to like trees especially at Bartletts Farm.

Profile picture.jpg

Twinning glider group lr.jpg

Rods Stork my back.jpg

• Like 1

swarrans

Thanks Ian,  Do we need to tell anyone if we plan to attend?

Simon

Nicholls

If you wish to go to Hilton afterwards (as we did for Robin Sleight) let Keith Fisher know direct or I'll pass it on.

swarrans

OK thanks I will let Keith know I plan to attend.  Si

EssexBOF

Sad to say that I cannot attend the celebration of Rod's life, due to an injury sustained last week. Have been advised to rest for a few days. Probably should not have gone to Tonbridge  yesterday, as being lectured on now.☹️