Come and try DLG - BMFA Buckminster Aug 11-12

mikef

The advert on the BMFA website is here

If you want to take advantage of the workshops on offer, you should book in with Manny as detailed via the link above.

(BMFA league competitors who are competing in the contest that weekend and are able to act as 'experts' for the workshops should await further instructions)

----------------

Here's the programme for the 'Come and Try' weekend at BMFA Buckminster.

Saturday

09:30  Open 'reception' indoors.  Take ‘bookings’ for clinics to assess what's required.

Indoor area open all day for general chat/questions/workshop area/charging/ tea/coffee.

10:00  BMFA League Contest rounds 1, 2.

11:30  Clinic options

Come and do your first launches (fly a loan model).

Have your launch critiqued and receive advice. (fly your own model)

Trim clinic – launch, fly and get the pattern/set-up looked at (own model)

Thermals – fly for lift with an expert and get advice on how to recognise good air.  (own or loan model)

Try a top model – buddy box  flying of a top design.  (loan)

Trial contest – go head-to-head, 'all-up' in the box and see how you compare with others.  (own model)

1330 BMFA League Contest rounds 3, 4.

15:00 onwards 'clinics’.

1500-1800  Superfly shop indoors – main shopping session.

19:00  Panel discussion/presentations

20:00 social – possible 'build it on the day' indoor contest. 

Sunday

Similar to Saturday but end at 18:00.   BMFA league contest rounds 5-8.

Superfly will be around all weekend.

If the weather is poor, indoor activities will dominate.

Edited by mikef
Programme firmed 4-8-18
  • Like 1

Sounds great! Especially the trim clinic and thermal finding. I'm just getting my new NXT finished off that I picked up at the Malvern round so will be great to have my set up and trim assessed. The trial contest sounds great too, as I'm nervous flying my first contest and having to launch around others (always flown dlg alone).

Looking to camp that weekend to do both days. 

Looking forward to it.

I'm sort of 'mid skill'.  Always pleased to receive instruction and hints, but have a little knowledge that I'm happy to share too.

If I can free up the Sunday and decide to camp, then I would prefer to turn up on the Friday late afternoon to set up the tent, rather than having a rush on the Saturday morning. Is this allowed? 

Thanks Mike for your hard work as always.

Pete Heywood

I have cleared this with 'the management' so should be there for the whole weekend. Do I need to book in somewhere? Thinking I might camp as well.

The advert on the BMFA website is here.

If you want to take advantage of the workshops on offer, you should book in with Manny as detailed via the link above.

BMFA league competitors who are competing in the contest that weekend and are able to act as 'experts' for the workshops should await further instructions.

Edit:-  Top post amended to include these notes.

• Like 1

This programme sounds great. A perfect refinement of the previous DLG weekends.

I'm intending to come along and take advantage of the clinics and also compete again. I don't expect to better my last place at the Malvern event but maybe I can get my scores up a little!

Pete Heywood

Would it be possible to run a 'novice' competition to walk through all the tasks? Or is that already planned? I'd like to compete at some point, but have no idea what I am supposed to do. Watching will be a good start, but maybe someone could explain what is necessary during each task ?

Hi Paul,

You don't need to worry about the tasks because the experienced guys will be timing for you and tell you exactly what you need to do. The only thing they won't do is fly it for you!

The PA system announcements before each round also tell you what the task is.  It's also on the score sheets which you get at the pilots briefing at the start of the comp. 

Another roll of your timer in our comps it to be a spotter too. This give you feedback if there's anything like noticeable thermal activity, another model in good air that is reachable for you etc.

It's a very friendly day and no pressure except your own desire to do your best!

I was in the same position when it comes to understanding the task details. Still not 100% sure of the finer points in terms of when you are allowed to swap models, what penalties might be applied etc but the basics can be gathered by reading the task descriptions beforehand.
I read this as well: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14627468
Its a more advanced "how to win" type of document but the details it goes into are interesting and gives some insight into how the better pilots might be thinking. Something to aim for.

As stated above though, when you're new to it then if you have a timer who can explain as you go, it really simplifies things. If you can launch and land safely then just give it a go. I did a few weeks ago and enjoyed the experience - best moment was getting the 5 minute maximum in Task A, worst/funniest moment was landing out on the first flight (30 seconds) in task D!

Mark - I wouldn't count on it!

Richard Swindells

About half the rounds are subtle variations on 3 flights with 3minite max . To practice just set a repeating timer for 3 mins, with 5 seconds turn around.

That will teach you all the skills you need

• 3 weeks later...

There's an advert for the August event and a report on the April Event, with pictures, in the latest BMFA NEWS on page 45.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea when entry for the comp will open, is it still on?

Just need to be sure as will need to book somewhere to stay, please don't sugest camping thanks 🙂 

Pete Heywood

Looking forward to this! Hope the weather holds up - not in the UK yet so not really seen a decent forecast.

terryspence

Once again very much looking forward to it.  Disappointed I can't make the Saturday but will be there on Sunday.

Neil Harrison

This is a great event  for anyone interested in F3K and DLG flying.

Superfly are very proud to be supporting this event, we will have some exclusive offers and amazing deals including Lime, CX4, BAMF and Loola as well as some used/ex demo models.  These are only available to all that attend, we are looking forward to a great turnout, good weather, an amazing time and making new friends.

See you there 😜

• Like 1