Come and try DLG - BMFA Buckminster Aug 11-12

mikef

Thanks to all who attended this event and to 'the experts' for their support - I hope you all got what you needed from the weekend.

Site cleared and secured and time to drive back home....

Paul Gleeson

Thanks very much for the organisation, and the time given from the experts. 

I think the coaching and fly a model worked very well. Hopefully, this gets more people into the class and attending competitions. Just for fun like me.

I enjoyed the challenging conditions and amazed I scored 3 x 1000 points! (Shame about the other rounds, and not being able to be there Sunday) 

Paul

Many thanks to Mike F and all the “professionals” for organising another excellent days weather and flying (Saturday).

Now that I have my own model it was very helpful to be able to fly alongside an experienced flyer. The little snippets of knowledge are extremely useful. I must get some of those sunglasses that let  you see thermals!!

Running this event with a league competition  worked really well for me. My first time in the box shadowing a timer was an eye opener!

The standard of flying was very high. Gives me something to aspire to.

Apologies to Paul for the mid air (the only mid air I saw all day!), thanks to Mike C for Getting me back in the air, and Neil for the bits I’m now using to make a full damage repair.

Now looking forward to my first competition

(I managed to put this response in the wrong thread earlier! Repairs all done Paul, the battle scars give the Vibe a more experienced look)

I'm bumping this thread above the old April event thread - folks are posting August comments there by mistake.

If we can get enough folks to stay late/overnight on Sunday 26th  August after the F3K Nationals, we could have a further evening/early morning clinic type session there?

I am on holiday in wales for the nats but have permission to take a break from ice cream and sand castles for a quick trip to Buckminster.  Will be there late Saturday/ early Sunday, and plan to leave mid morning Monday.  Will help out where I can.

mike c

I will certainly stay later Sunday.

Might even consider putting the tent in, will follow developments.

I will hopefully have my Vibe2 trimmed and set up better for this event. Would appreciate someone flying it who could advise if I’m heading in the right direction.

Richard c

• 1 year later...
Marc RC pilot

I just stumbled on this thread...What a brilliant DLG idea! 

Well done to all those involved in getting this off the ground!

Are there any more planned in the future? 

👍

Regards

Marc 

Marc RC pilot

Nice one Mike, thx.

I noticed you are in London (unusual to see for me) . I heard that a lot of people fly DLG's at Richmond Park(?). 

Fwiw, I am right next to Wormwood scrubs field (East Acton) which has a designated flying field and is a great place for such a central-ish part of London, really quite/empty in the week days and defo worth a visit.

Marc 

I know of it, but haven’t flown there.  I live right next to Richmond park, so it’s pretty convenient for me.  I tend to range quite far when flying, not sure how suited to that Wormwood is. 

Marc RC pilot

I spent many a year flying at Richmond park when I was a young lad...Fantastic place, glider flat heaven for me with the lovely scenery/deers and the feeling you are in the countryside. You are fortunate to live so close to it Mike. 👍

I'll pop over to Scrubs when I get a chance and do a quick video so you can get a feel for the place.  For me it's another wonder/hidden flying gem for flat landers in the bustling heart of London with it's wild nesting bird area and possible urban built-up lift areas of the railway tracks etc in the distance if one is brave enough to venture that far with a relatively large-ish glider (3 m + when I used to fly there early days). The thing I like about it the most is that there is hardly anyone there :) . Weekends can get a little busy/noisy with props, jets, drones, helis and the likes...That's what I loved about Richmond park and it's glider only scenario/settings...

I think ultimately Richmond is/was more of a glider purist flying area (?). 

Marc RC pilot

First flight of an old Algebra (thx Pete), folded a wing on a low turn...(not to bad). Without airbrakes she just keeps going and going on landings :). Lovely classic bird 

20190629_091258.jpg

20190629_091312.jpg

Edited by MMD
Added video of Phoenix flying at Scrubs