mikef

How to get your DLG into lift

mikef

Here's a presentation I used at the last 'Come and try DLG'.

Lift and the hand-launch flyer.pdf

Where it says 'Animation' in the presentation, I run a spreadsheet (liftani.xls) on an IBM PC and press F9 repeatedly.  (It was easy when 'auto-repeat' worked with Excel but it doesn't seem to any more).   The thermal moves at a constant rate and the position updates when you press F9.  The 'thermal crosses the 'field' from left to right, at the wind speed.   The variations in wind speed and direction around the thermal are shown graphically.  The vector addition is done for you and shown in the 'streamers'.

To see what happens locally as the 'thermal' passes, pick a pole and watch the streamer.

The Excel sheet is attached, I hope it works for you.   You'll need to enable editing to run the animation.   The spreadsheet will ask you if you want to save changes when you close it - you don't need to.

(No warranty is supplied.  Any implied warranty is void as soon as you open the spreadsheet file.)

Liftani.xls

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

thechalster

Come to a comp and follow the planes that are going  up !

Finding lift with more models in the air is a lot easier.

SilentPilot

I follow the birds :D 

Sloper
47 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

I follow the birds :D 

That can get you in to trouble....😀

SilentPilot

Only if they see you looking up at them 😉 

SilentPilot

mikef,

I took a look at your .pdf and liked what I read! 

There’s a particular section there that struck a chord. It is so easy to get used to finding/expecting lift in certain places.

You must not do that! I fly full size gliders and in one of my first cross country competitions I found myself low near Eggborough power station. Power stations are well known for their booming thermals so I headed for it. On my way there I went straight through an eight knotter to where I thought the thermal would be, now an ‘eight knotter’ might not mean much to non glider pilots but believe me they don’t come much stronger, it was an absolute belter that I cruised through looking for lift! Why? Not sure really. Tunnel vision? Probably. It very nearly caused me to land out.

The moral of the story: Take what you can when you can!

Thinkng back with more experience under my belt the thermal I flew through was probably the ‘bubble’ that had left the source. 

Lesson learned. Nearly the hard way :( 

Tony