4th 2018 2M Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 4th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2018

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungees may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring.

Not a good day really, after a couple of javelin hand launches with duration around 2 minutes, I set up the bungee. The first flight was 2:50, but before launching again I realised the elevator horn has come loose, so that was the end of that.

So my (measly) entry to get things started: 2:50, with Hi-Lite today, 30th June.

Here's looking forward to next weekend!

• Like 1

Thanks Paul. Too windy here and no car this morning killed it for me. Hopefully get out one evening this week - I am on holiday for 9 days from Friday. 

You can of course try and improve on that score :)

image.png.3ab1eb73a9137acf40155f49a219230c.png

Edited by martynk
Added table
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, martynk said:

You can of course try and improve on that score :)

I am dropping my wife at Manchester Airport next Saturday lunchtime, and will hopefully be out flying afterwards. I need to make a good repair to the elevator horn first though, as this was not the first time I have had the problem...!

I managed to get out this evening for a couple of hours.

Quite breezy again after quite a calm day, First flight was dreadful, the second I managed a 6:55 and that was two thermals/returns taking it a reasonable  distance downwind. Only getting to about 150m high I would guess. The 3rd flight was 4:05 but now too windy and really struggling to get back. All flights landed just upwind from where I released.

image.png.0ff97039cf450277b61169a99f685009.png

I think with this weekends weather forecast that should be quite beatable. I am away on holiday from Sunday for a week and no car tomorrow. I was getting rather worried that I would get a score in.

8 hours ago, martynk said:

I managed to get out this evening for a couple of hours.

Quite breezy again after quite a calm day, First flight was dreadful, the second I managed a 6:55 and that was two thermals/returns taking it a reasonable  distance downwind. Only getting to about 150m high I would guess. The 3rd flight was 4:05 but now too windy and really struggling to get back. All flights landed just upwind from where I released.

image.png.0ff97039cf450277b61169a99f685009.png

I think with this weekends weather forecast that should be quite beatable. I am away on holiday from Sunday for a week and no car tomorrow. I was getting rather worried that I would get a score in.

Nice one! :)  I am hoping to make the most of the weather this afternoon and successfully challenge you on this on!

SilentPilot

Sunday is looking good for me!

I’ll be packing my Radian, DLG and Radian XL so I can hopefully enter all these 14 day challenges :)

Tony

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Sunday is looking good for me!

I’ll be packing my Radian, DLG and Radian XL so I can hopefully enter all these 14 day challenges :)

Tony

Fantastic - go for it - the more the merrier! Which will you high start - aren't the radians both electric, or did you also fit a hook?

SilentPilot

My (original 2m) Radian has the prop removed, holes taped up and a belly hook!

It floats even better now :D 

There are pics on here of my conversion. I’ll try find them...

Tony

• Like 1

Well, Saturday was too windy, and I didn't manage anything above 3 minutes. Every time I turned, I shot off down wind. Perhaps I should reconsider my wish to get an X-Res or similar...!

Anyway, less windy today, so I charged up the Hi-Lite again and went out after lunch. Best time in the end was 18:35. The second best flight was 7:36, and the rest were less than 4 minutes. For the longest flight, it was a bit disconcerting to get an "RSSI Low" alarm from the transmitter (Maximum height 232m). Think I need to look again at the antenna placement (currently 45 degrees to the horizontal, and 90 degrees apart).

I also installed my HobbyKing altimeter:

302208498_8-7-2018-2ndflight.thumb.png.01dedc027d879b26bb5d4a8c62754cbf.png

Looks like I am getting around 40m on the launch.

Here is the timer from the transmitter:

487042539_Flight-8-7-2018.thumb.JPG.d3a991cb8c5f8901415e73fdc9f22320.JPG

I am interested in getting a F3-RES glider - what do you recommend? I like the look of the XRes, and Hyperflight have them in stock. Are there others I should be considering?

I look forward to seeing what Tony can manage :).

• Like 2

SilentPilot
5 hours ago, paulj said:

I look forward to seeing what Tony can manage :)

So do I :D 

The Radian has only been used in quite windy conditions. The wind helps it get some great height when launching but the thermals move too fast (sideways!) so I've not been able to centre it in anything yet...

Lower wind days will give lower launches, though if conditions are right you don't need much height to scrape away with a Radian!

Tony

SilentPilot
21 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

There are pics on here of my conversion. I’ll try find them...

Here they are!
I must have got lucky with the hook location. It goes up hi-starts beautifully :) 

please note that the hook pic shows a provisional install to test location. It is secured better now :D 

Tony

Radian Combo.JPG

Radian Hook.JPG

• Like 1

Excellent score Paul. That will take some beating. I'll update the table when i get a moment and a signal to tether my pc with my phone. 

Tony. Did you get a flight in this weekend? 

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Negative, sorry.

Babbysitting duties! My 23 month old is going through a very clingy stage. I’m just enjoying time with him while it lasts :) 

Paul the X-RES is very good.   My dad just finished his Andreas Electro,  this also flys very nicely (we maidened it at the weekend).   They require a fair bit of work but they are good kits.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Paul the X-RES is very good.   My dad just finished his Andreas Electro,  this also flys very nicely (we maidened it at the weekend).   They require a fair bit of work but they are good kits.

Thanks for the comments - it looks good. I fancy something to build over the winter, and the F3RES is an attractive proposition, especially as I do spend time in Germany. Following the flying this weekend, I can understand the UK conditions can be challenging for floaters, but I like the idea of a 2M model. I also have a Pegasus V which I am "building" at the moment - a 2M electric model. This will be the model I take on holiday in August!

Managed to get out to maiden my Slite this evening. A bit windy and late in the day but managed a 4:02. Nothing special but at least I've got something to fly again :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whitmore said:

Managed to get out to maiden my Slite this evening. A bit windy and late in the day but managed a 4:02. Nothing special but at least I've got something to fly again :)

You've got until the 22nd - go for it!!