Jump to content
thermaldoctor

New 2.4m slope/electric model & Optimus website

Recommended Posts

thermaldoctor

The CN models team who have produced the highly successful Optimus have now parted company. 

CN Models will remain in business and continue to produce Carboweave spread tow carbon and rc glider accessories.

The man behind Optimus and its high quality production, Aleksandr Chekh has now set up a new company and an even better production facility and will lead the very same production team under the new name CCM - Chekh Composite Models.

www.ccm.in.ua

I have been in great discussion with Alex over recent months and his new facility is even better than before offering quicker delivery times and some very special new models coming up..

Optimus production still continues as will spare parts but we have some new models nearly at the end of their development cycle so watch this space.

First up will be an amazing all composite 2.4m sloper / hotliner / smaller electric thermal soarer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilentPilot
10 minutes ago, thermaldoctor said:

First up will be an amazing all composite 2.4m sloper / hotliner / smaller electric thermal soarer. 

Is that all one model or multiple airframes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thermaldoctor

Hi Tony it is one all round design but will be available in a number of lay-ups to suit weight / stiffness requirements of end usage. 

We will have some new lightweight Reisenauer power plants for this as an electric hotliner offering over 1kw but even with existing f5j drives should still be  plenty powerful enough.

For slope it will not be aimed at very high winds / DS but more the ultimate all rounder where it will scratch in light lift but be capable of good performance in a good blow and strong lift

Regards 

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilentPilot

Nice one!

I've often wondered why model designers don’t follow suit with full size gliders, or should I say sailplanes. 

My club has a DG505 which is a multi purpose glider depending which tips you put on it. 

20m winglets turns it into a competitive cross country machine, yet with 18m tips it’s fully aerobatic. 

Can’t something like this be done with models? 

I’ve already spoken to one designer but he didn’t want to follow it up :( 

 

Just imagine an F3F ship with different spans for varying wind strengths, or a slope glider that could thermal with a bigger set of wings. 

I’ve already done some “cut’n’shut” home brew hybrids. Can’t help but think a manufacturer could exploit this market sector better than me...

 

Tony

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulj
On 05/07/2018 at 00:22, SilentPilot said:

Nice one!

I've often wondered why model designers don’t follow suit with full size gliders, or should I say sailplanes. 

My club has a DG505 which is a multi purpose glider depending which tips you put on it. 

20m winglets turns it into a competitive cross country machine, yet with 18m tips it’s fully aerobatic. 

Can’t something like this be done with models? I’ve already spoken to one designer but he didn’t want to follow it up :( 

I have an old Pike (~2000) with 2.8m span, but tips which take it to 3.4m (I think - I haven't measured it recently). It also has two different sized V tails. In fact, I bought the model from Kev Newton, and he used to fly F3F with the short tips, but big v tails (F3J wasn't his thing...!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pete beadle

Hi SP

Yes, I too have a Pike - a Pike Perfect, with "standard" and ET wings taking the standard span of 3.2m to 3.7m

There is, however a much simpler way of getting what you want from your mouldie - to buy the F3B version(s) offered  by most manufacturers

F3B being multi-task means the model concerned is optimised to perform in speed, duration and thermal modes, which won't involve the need for swapping panels

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thermaldoctor

Back in the day (approx early 90's) there used to be an all molded model produced in Germany called the 'Flying Special' that was in a modular format. It had different length plug in booms and different lengths tips and centres etc. It was something like 2m - 3.5m depending on which bits you bought or if you bought all of it which bits you plugged together.

As far as I remember it never really sold that well. I will try and find some more information on it from back copies of Silent Flight and QFI because googling Flying Special doesn't give very exacting results and I don't think the model was ever popular enough to have much information on it. But I do remember the adverts in the magazines and perhaps even a review so will try and find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilentPilot

I do have a Pike WR. I’d love a set of F3B tips for it (I think they might be Pike Perfect tips) but alas no luck :(  

My WR has a hook but I haven’t had the bottle to throw it up my Winch yet!

 

btw, sorry Neil, it looks like I’ve turned one of your vendor posts into general chitchat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul w
On 07/07/2018 at 11:42, thermaldoctor said:

Back in the day (approx early 90's) there used to be an all molded model produced in Germany called the 'Flying Special' that was in a modular format. It had different length plug in booms and different lengths tips and centres etc. It was something like 2m - 3.5m depending on which bits you bought or if you bought all of it which bits you plugged together.

As far as I remember it never really sold that well. I will try and find some more information on it from back copies of Silent Flight and QFI because googling Flying Special doesn't give very exacting results and I don't think the model was ever popular enough to have much information on it. But I do remember the adverts in the magazines and perhaps even a review so will try and find

Here you go!

Funnily enough there  was one on Ebay about 6 months ago, that's the first time I've every seen or heard mention of them since the article in Jan '95.

I guess (as Pete alludes to) most mouldies these days are versatile enough that you don't need alternative bits and bobs.

fs 01.jpg

fs 02.jpg

fs 03.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.