Fully mounded 4 or 5m multi purpose electric ship

Wssoarer

Hi all, 

just joined so this is my first post, hope if it's in the wrong area somebody will let me know.

im in he process of looking for a fully mounded electro sport or semi scale sailplane in the 4-5m class.

i don't fly competitively and ideally would like the model to cope adequately with both slope and some Lazy hot summer day soaring, possibly with a bias towards the soaring element as I am based on North Somerset coast.

So in short,

fully moulded, 4-5m, electro power, must be launchable single handed in most conditions, under 2.5k all in cost.

currently looking at both chilli and thermik xxl from valenta and maybe mistral4300/4900 from wind wings. What I'm struggling with is I would prefer a plane with dihedral starting at the fuse rather than a flat center section, don't know why just prefer the look.

if any of you experienced guys would be willing to suggest other planes I could consider or have experience of the chilli or mistral it would be great to hear them.

cheers steve

Hi Steve.

Tangent / Multiplex Alpina 4001 or 5001 will give you the style you want with the dihedral break at the fuz and straight wings. Granted they are foam veneer wings but the quality and strength are immense. 

You may want to add the Aer-O-Tec Ikura to your list (it also has dihedral from the fuselage, so ticks that box).  4m span, nice looking, very good (and strong) build quality, with provision for ballast in the wings.  I can attest to its strong construction as it will happily dive vertically from over 1000’ before doing a high speed pass or a square loop.  Four piece wing packs into a very small custom pack ideal for lugging up a hill.  Only downside is that it is probably the most expensive amongst the models you are considering.

It has been covered in a previous thread: 

Simon

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the tangent as it's a nice looking plane, if it was fully composite I would be flying one by now, but some of my flying sites are tight for a sailplane this size and the landing area has the ocational heather/ gorse patch which I think would not go well with the film covered foam wings should I miss an approach :( but I guess if it happens I could recover after a few seasons. I'll take a look at the ikura, it looks sweet if my wallet can take the hit

Are you looking at new (to build yourself) only?  There's a possibility that a Mistral 4300 electric in almost new condition may be available...

Take a look at The Valenta carbonara (now called Twister, presumably so as not to confuse it with pasta!)) It is 4 metre with dihedral as you prefer. It is very stable,  aerobatic and lands perfectly under full crow - it rolls faster than some of my smaller models. I had an Alpina, but the Twister is much better in my opinion. I have just come back from a sloping holiday in Cornwall and my Carbonara received many admiring comments. I have four Valenta models and they all fly superb.

Just a thought,

John

IMG_1122.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodstock said:

Are you looking at new (to build yourself) only?  There's a possibility that a Mistral 4300 electric in almost new condition may be available...

Hi Chris,

Not totally, if the right model comes up at the right price i might be tempted so if one comes up let me know.

cheers

steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggles said:

Take a look at The Valenta carbonara (now called Twister, presumably so as not to confuse it with pasta!)) It is 4 metre with dihedral as you prefer. It is very stable,  aerobatic and lands perfectly under full crow - it rolls faster than some of my smaller models. I had an Alpina, but the Twister is much better in my opinion. I have just come back from a sloping holiday in Cornwall and my Carbonara received many admiring comments. I have four Valenta models and they all fly superb.

Just a thought,

John

IMG_1122.JPG

Hi John, 

looks very sharp, I will take a look at it, though to be honest if I give Gabby at valenta anymore questions she will probably take a hit out on me :) 

cheers

steve

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't worry about the film/foam veneer on the tangent models. My ASH26 has the same wing as the 4001 and I fly the Orme with it, rocks, heather, goats and all....takes a rough landing in it's stride.