XT-30 OK for 2M model?

paulj

I have just bought some packs with XT-30 connectors for the Pegasus I am building up. I wasn't expecting something quite so small (considering the size of the XT-60s!). Are these OK for this size of model or should I change them for XT-60 connectors?

Depends on your motor/propeller combination. If you draw less than 30 amps, then you should be ok. I'd be very surprised if you required more than 30 amps on a 2m model.  My 2m Reichard Magic only draws 12 amps, and gets me to 195m in 30 seconds. 

According to one website, xt30 should be ok to 35 amps, but if you allow some safety margin, then they should be able to handle 30 amps without too much difficulty.

As always, make sure you use a watt meter, and you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, you should be ok with that particular motor, if that's what you're using. What is amusing is that I've now got another Pegasus!

Tony

Thanks guys! I'm making good progress with the build, and should have it finished in a couple of weeks. It's probably 4-6 hours of work plus glue drying time, but I am off to Germany for a week tomorrow, and don't return until the 24th.

...and yes Tony - it is that particular motor! I am interested to see how you route your ruddervator linkages around the flap servo. I saw one installation where the ruddervator servo on the left side was mounted on blocks and both the servo horns pointed towards the right hand side. This seems to be better for cable routing. I've got to the point where I glue the servo tray in, so it is decision time :).

I could post pictures if there is interest...!

Just to let everyone else into the background of Tony's comments - he sold me the kit and components :)!

Glad it's going well, hopefully you can post your motor/prop combo, and let us know what you're amps are, and climb rate. Looking at the Pegasus, she looks like a quality product. If I was ever to loose my magic.........I could join you.

Hi Paul, very fortunate as I purchased my new one fully built and unflown. Got it off a chap called Geoff on the BMFA web site. I couldn't have built it better myself and also a really nice fella1156070504_pegasus001.thumb.jpg.1460f99ed3b0874c0a2eda96bbfa6be4.jpg. Hope this pic helps

Hi Tony,

That also looks like a clean approach - maybe I'll go for that one. I have already trimmed and shaped the servo horns for this type of configuration, and changing to the alternative would mean cutting up another horn (which thankfully I do have if I go this way).

have you flown it yet? If so, how do you find it?

Thanks for the picture!

On 13/07/2018 at 12:12, Mr_SMO said:

Glad it's going well, hopefully you can post your motor/prop combo, and let us know what you're amps are, and climb rate. Looking at the Pegasus, she looks like a quality product. If I was ever to loose my magic.........I could join you.

I'll post details next time I am at home, and will let you know the current etc once I have everything ready to go.

• Like 1