Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

New FrSky RX4R and RX6R mini recievers

Darren_O

Look perfect for tight spaces we have in gliders.

I've put them next to the X6R for scale. Supposed to have 40% improvement in range over the older X series RX. Time will tell on that score but they're a massive boost for those with tight fuselages.

T9hobbysport have stock but I don't imagine they'll be on the shelves long, lovely little rx.

IMG_20180720_163928563.jpg

IMG_20180720_173140505.jpg

cirrusRC

Waiting for the dust to settle before getting some,  just remember that you’ll need to do some soldering if you want to use the Smart Port (I.e upgrading firmware, remote receivers, sensors).

Darren_O

I'm handy with an iron if I need to update it. 

HopefullyI'll get to give them some air time this weekend on the Orme. Will report back on range etc. 

I just recently got the G-RX6

Range tests at home, locking my tx in a metal case and taking the rx downstairs and outside seems as good as all other Frsky rx's and the Vario seems pretty responsive straight out the box. I also left it running for 25mins on a 2s lipo and it only drifted 1.2m

I'm super impressed with the size and weight. If only I had a plane anymore to put them in haha.

cirrusRC

Yes I’m still testing firmwares for the g-rx8 vario which has been a mess.

John1

I'm new to all this & don't understand where the soldering comes into it, I thought the point of smart ports was that I would  be able to daisy chain my FRSKY smart port lipo voltage & variometer sensors?

I've compared them on the FRSKY web page and apart from size & therefore weight I can't see what the difference between them is?

PaulR

These newer receivers (RX4R, RX6R and G-RX6) come with a smart port socket that requires soldering to the receiver before it can be used.

If you have no need to use it then you benefit from the even smaller size and less weight by not having the socket. If you do need it (for sensors or flashing firmware) then you have to attach it yourself.

The pictures here: https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx4r.html show how the receiver arrives and the "accessories" is comes with - cables, the port, jumpers, the cardboard sleeve and a bit of sticky foam.

CTR

Just started using these. Small and compact with the servo plugs in-line with the RX body, so allow for the length.

The auxiliary port connector (smart port/Ain2 etc ) is a fiddle to solder and needs a very fine tip on the soldering iron to avoid bridging the pins with solder blobs!

Once the connector is fitted, the card sleeve doesn't fit too well but is adequate.

No performance issues so far.

Neil P

paulj

would be good if they supplied without the servo connectors soldered in - you could then choose between inline or 90 degree connectors, or even a flying lead with plugs on the end.

• Like 1

Lloyd_d

Clean the solder pads with solvent before trying to solder as they are coated with a lacquer and the flux doesn’t work on the metal properly.

the receivers are really good. Better reception and more compact.

Marc Sinclair
Posted (edited)

Like Guest I got the Frsky GRX6 receiver. It's really tiny and built-in vario, apart from the soft cardboard "case", I cannot praise these units enough! like the dedicated battery pins underneath the unit and in opposite direction to servo pins (can see in pic below)

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-g-rx6-receiver

Size dif between GRX6 and my X4R

20190531_140649.thumb.jpg.f8e6320b568b098571270dcfd9a95eac.jpg

The new G-RX6 receiver boast lower latency and improved range on the current X6R receiver

Bumf:

This FrSky G-RX6 is designed for use with Gliders with built in vario sensor, this will give you telemetry data like altitude and vertical speed. The G-RX6 features 6 PWM outputs with higher precision and lower latency. The latency of the PWM output is 9ms less than that of the X6R, in high speed mode. It also supports the redundancy function, so it can be used in conjunction with other receivers. The G-RX6 and the whole RX-line has a 40% increased operating range compared to the previous X series receivers.

Features:

Small and High sensitivity (40% increase of the range compared to previous X series receivers)

Integrated with high precision variometer sensor

Higher precision PWM and Low latency PWM output

Lower power consumption

Redundancy function supported

Smart Port enabled and telemetry data transmission supported

Battery voltage detection supported

2 detachable IPEX 4 Connector antennas

PCB protection with the comformal coating craftwork

Specification:

Dimension: 21.1×13×7.3mm (L×W×H)

Weight: 2.2g / 2.6g (with two antennas)

Number of Channels: 16CH (1-6CH PWM from conventional channel outputs, 1-16CH from SBUS OUT port)

Operating Voltage Range: 3.5V-10V

Operating Current: 100mA@5V

Operating Range: >2km

Servo Frame Rate: 9ms (HS—High Speed Mode)/18ms (FS—Normal Speed Mode)

Edited by Marc Sinclair
added specs data