5th 2018 2M Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 5th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2018

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungees may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Whitmore

Managed to get out this evening about 5:30 as it was calm and still looked lifty. First launch was into light lift but gradually climbed away to a good height. Once up there it was pleasant flying with lots of light columns around but so little drift that you could cruise at min sink between them. A lovely evening but a time that reflects conditions rather than skill! Went a bit flat after that so I concentrated on trimming the model but I saw massive concentrations of birds wheeling in lift on the way home so maybe I should have been more patient.

Jon Whitmore 

Slite

25th July

24:22

• Like 1
martynk

Not bad Jon. Well done

I got out tonight. First flight was 7:47 followed by a dreadful flight following a downwind launch then i got a 22:49.  Just one big bump with the model at about 2000ft but not climbing. It wasn't that far down wind - about 1/2 mile i guess but i chickened out and brought it back but couldn't find anything on the retry. Big thermals and bigger holes.  Landed at my feet though 

I'll update the table tomorrow 

• Like 1

Thanks to Jon, it looks like I will be able to participate with the MadRES :) Here's looking forward to some good weather at the weekend...!

Looks like the bar is already at a good height Martyn...!

Oops - I missed Jon's time at the bottom of his post! Top class :). Thanks for delivering the MadRES Jon, I will now endeavour to get it in the air PDQ, and have a go at those times. At least to get close enough to minimise my losses!!

SilentPilot

Does anyone want to make me a MadRES?
Payment in beers. Or cider :D 

Obviously I'll buy the kit and parts!

• 2 weeks later...
martynk

Jon won this one - a cracking flight - well done :)

I'll update the league table and post a starter for the 6th Postal event

image.png.dccbb3f02fb13ef3c6dd2414e23e39d8.png

Forgot to mention.

I am away until early September. I should have internet access most days but updates may be a bit slower than usual.  Please bear with me

• Like 2