natxopedreira

Fosa LDS

natxopedreira

Hello

I just received my fosa and want to install the LDS  but baudis can not provide a wing template like other models to show where those horns are positioned.

I will be very grateful if someone who owns a fosa wing with lds can measure the distance from root to the middle of aileron and flap horns, just like the following drawing so i can make the openings in the wing skin and remove the wiper in the exact position.

Thank you in advance!!!

fosawing.png

simon_t

Has Baudis already drilled holes through the rear spar from the servo position?   The position of the linkage and horn is really determined by where the servo drive arm/horn will be - in most moulded models there is very little ‘wiggle room’ for the servos, so the linkage position and hence surface horn position are predetermined.  As the servo wells are already defined in the wing, have a look inside and see if you can see a hole from the servo well to the surface.

Simon

• Like 1

natxopedreira

Thanks Simon

You were right, there are holes in the rear spar and in the aileron to insert the horns :) 

Now i need to find a way to translate that measure to the skin to cut an opening and the wiper to insert the horn.

Sems that me most tricky part is going to be installing the metal pins....

I have another doubt with the lds horns, as they have a small rectangle.... should i need to remove it? so it lays flat.

horn.jpg

Andy_B

no you shouldnt need to remove it ...see below 

image.thumb.png.e85b73e6ab725e3c5225a72e9bd027e4.png

Mikeb52
18 minutes ago, natxopedreira said:

Thanks Simon

You were right, there are holes in the rear spar and in the aileron to insert the horns :) 

Now i need to find a way to translate that measure to the skin to cut an opening and the wiper to insert the horn.

Sems that me most tricky part is going to be installing the metal pins....

I have another doubt with the lds horns, as they have a small rectangle.... should i need to remove it? so it lays flat.

horn.jpg

If you want to get the horns just under the wiper without relieving the top skin, then it needs to come off. If like a factory install by Baudis, with the back of the top skin having a small cut out, maybe it can stay on. 

natxopedreira

Ok, thank you all.

I want to install like baudis factory as im following this pdf for the diana
http://www.baudismodel.com/storage/user-32399/module-1742/diana-2-lds-installation-fp-23-06-17-15112570480phpsv3k2b.pdf

I have a lot of questions as i never installed an lds system :)

Any advice on how to cut the wiper to insert the horn¿? My plan is to use a fresh cutter and make slow no pressure multiples pass.... but dont know if is the best way.

Peter G

If you fold the aileron / flap right down, you should be able to dremmel the wiper perpendicular to the hinge, then the wiper will just snap out. No need to cut the top skin of the wing (Iike Diana).

Just to throw a spanner in, if the Baudis LDS is still an alloy arm / steel pin, I don't think it is very good. The alloy is always subject to wear and create slop in my experience, this can be fixed with a drop of cyano every now and then to tighten the joint but its not ideal.

If it was my brand new model I would bin the Baudis LDS and buy some Servorahmen type, the plastic arm / steel pin is much less prone to wear.1275747556_ScreenHunter_201Aug_0315_30.thumb.jpg.98f20513f8b795297e330d67919cad5a.jpg

• Like 1

natxopedreira
1 hour ago, Peter G said:

If you fold the aileron / flap right down, you should be able to dremmel the wiper perpendicular to the hinge, then the wiper will just snap out. No need to cut the top skin of the wing (Iike Diana).

Just to throw a spanner in, if the Baudis LDS is still an alloy arm / steel pin, I don't think it is very good. The alloy is always subject to wear and create slop in my experience, this can be fixed with a drop of cyano every now and then to tighten the joint but its not ideal.

If it was my brand new model I would bin the Baudis LDS and buy some Servorahmen type, the plastic arm / steel pin is much less prone to wear.1275747556_ScreenHunter_201Aug_0315_30.thumb.jpg.98f20513f8b795297e330d67919cad5a.jpg

Why did you say " No need to cut the top skin of the wing (Iike Diana)." It also on the fosa lift wing drawing... the horn height is more than profile height....

aileron.jpg

Alibabaj

I’ve done several of these, both using the Baudis system and the Servorahmen, personally I don’t like the cutouts you get using the Baudis System, so on my installs I removed the small lugs and positioned the horns just below the top skin same as you would using the Servorahmen  system.  Seems to work ok and the pin is still removable... with a bit of faffing anyway😊

G

1355BA75-8977-43F1-A1C2-B06F5BACD349.thumb.jpeg.6889b7e97af670fa9043f95e522b85b3.jpeg615C412D-FC32-4992-8061-A3306117DEB8.thumb.jpeg.eccd413fd935d24260fa77b8cdf68fb5.jpeg

84E9CF2E-2C18-49DE-B5EE-ED9E35B0A8C4.jpeg

natxopedreira

double post

natxopedreira
13 minutes ago, Alibabaj said:

I’ve done several of these, both using the Baudis system and the Servorahmen, personally I don’t like the cutouts you get using the Baudis System, so on my installs I removed the small lugs and positioned the horns just below the top skin same as you would using the Servorahmen  system.  Seems to work ok and the pin is still removable... with a bit of faffing anyway😊

G

1355BA75-8977-43F1-A1C2-B06F5BACD349.thumb.jpeg.6889b7e97af670fa9043f95e522b85b3.jpeg615C412D-FC32-4992-8061-A3306117DEB8.thumb.jpeg.eccd413fd935d24260fa77b8cdf68fb5.jpeg

84E9CF2E-2C18-49DE-B5EE-ED9E35B0A8C4.jpeg

Ahh ok i see, you remove the lugs in the servo arm. Now im understand what you say.

Seems like you get a bit of deformation in the aileron upper skin or is a optical effect?

Thank you for the photos.. sometimes an image is much better than words

Alibabaj
2 minutes ago, natxopedreira said:

Ahh ok i see, you remove the lugs in the servo arm. Now im understand what you say.

Seems like you get a bit of deformation in the aileron upper skin or is a optical effect?

Thank you for the photos.. sometimes an image is much better than words

There’s no deformation, however you need to be careful not to remove too much horn material, the first horn took me ages until the fit was snug without any deformation.

if you need any more pictures let me know

G

natxopedreira
9 minutes ago, Alibabaj said:

There’s no deformation, however you need to be careful not to remove too much horn material, the first horn took me ages until the fit was snug without any deformation.

if you need any more pictures let me know

G

Ok very useful, thank you !!!

I think i will go with the hole in the upper skin option, i don't mind having an small cut.. im used to use cross-linkages and optically even with the hole this looks much more clean.

Any tip to install the metal pins? Are those installed once is all in place including the servo, in the diana pdf seems like baudis install the horn pin to check if horn is aligned and the remove it to install the metal arm, but this sounds a little crazy to me as does not look easy to do (insert-remove the pin)

Thanks again to all

Alibabaj
35 minutes ago, natxopedreira said:

Ok very useful, thank you !!

Any tip to install the metal pins? Are those installed once is all in place including the servo, in the diana pdf seems like baudis install the horn pin to check if horn is aligned and the remove it to install the metal arm, but this sounds a little crazy to me as does not look easy to do (insert-remove the pin)

Thanks again to all

Once I was happy with the horn fit in the aeleron/flap, I assembled the pin and arm on to the horn and epoxied this assembly into the control surface, taking care with the alignment. (90deg to the hinge line) looking at the arm through the servo opening. Once dry I then assembled the servo into the tray and epoxied it in, inserting the pin through the servo horn whilst still wet to enable final positioning.

measure, measure & measure again! There’s NO margin for error 

2BD98328-A320-49A3-8B0B-457DF7230A30.thumb.jpeg.628c2a850e934077b9463a797dfe0e90.jpeg

f3fisa

When I installed the LDS in my Pitbull  2, I copied the Diana 2 pdf and cut the top skin, I used a slightly smaller diameter bit of piano wire bent at right angles to test the linkage as it was easy to remove, which I did a few times until I got it right. Then when everything was glued I inserted the original pin.

I have seen Alibabaj 's Pitbull 2 installation and it is very neat without ctting the top skin.

David.

natxopedreira
58 minutes ago, Alibabaj said:

Once I was happy with the horn fit in the aeleron/flap, I assembled the pin and arm on to the horn and epoxied this assembly into the control surface, taking care with the alignment. (90deg to the hinge line) looking at the arm through the servo opening. Once dry I then assembled the servo into the tray and epoxied it in, inserting the pin through the servo horn whilst still wet to enable final positioning.

measure, measure & measure again! There’s NO margin for error 

2BD98328-A320-49A3-8B0B-457DF7230A30.thumb.jpeg.628c2a850e934077b9463a797dfe0e90.jpeg

"Once I was happy with the horn fit in the aeleron/flap, I assembled the pin and arm on to the horn and epoxied this assembly into the control surface, taking care with the alignment. (90deg to the hinge line) looking at the arm through the servo opening."

And then you remove the pin to pass the alloy arm thought the opening no and put it again no?

natxopedreira

Also i have two pins of different sizes, one is a bit smaller... which one is for the lds horn?

Alibabaj
57 minutes ago, natxopedreira said:

And then you remove the pin to pass the alloy arm thought the opening no and put it again no?

No not exactly,  I pass the complete assembly through the servo bay and the opening in the rear spar into the Aileron. Then with the aileron tapped down I thoroughly check alignment and add a couple of drips of thin ciano to tack in place, check again then epoxy in permanently 

Graeme

Alibabaj
35 minutes ago, natxopedreira said:

Also i have two pins of different sizes, one is a bit smaller... which one is for the lds horn?

From memory I think the longer pins are for the servo end

natxopedreira

ok, thank you