Wssoarer

Pat Teakle asw17 5m size

Wssoarer

hi all, i have just acquired a Pat Teakle ASW17 5m as a project for the winter, in order to collect it i need to build a roof box, i know how long its going to be and i guess not a lot of depth will be required but can any of you kind gents advise me on the width of the wings at the root and the hight of the vertical stab. Id hate to build a box and find the big bird wont fit in it.

Cheers

Steve

wookman

Hi Steve.

I guess that's the one that was on that was on Ebay ( other online auction are available, aah,no the're not).

Failing that, Cliff Evans who is Pat Teakle Gliders now might help out. He is on the Scale Soaring forum.

If you can't get it in the car temporarily with the seats/top down are you not going to struggle with a two and half meter long box on top of the car?

Burning question is, would a three or four meter aeroplane have been a better bet?

Apart from all that good luck with the project. Resto's are usually quite a satisfying way of getting a nice plane in the air for yourself. 

Wssoarer
8 hours ago, wookman said:

Hi Steve.

I guess that's the one that was on that was on Ebay ( other online auction are available, aah,no the're not).

Failing that, Cliff Evans who is Pat Teakle Gliders now might help out. He is on the Scale Soaring forum.

If you can't get it in the car temporarily with the seats/top down are you not going to struggle with a two and half meter long box on top of the car?

Burning question is, would a three or four meter aeroplane have been a better bet?

Apart from all that good luck with the project. Resto's are usually quite a satisfying way of getting a nice plane in the air for yourself. 

Hi, 

It's not going to be an issue when I get it back as normally I will be able to fly from my house, if I want to go further afield I'll just bung it on the roof of the landy like all my other clutter, kayaks, windsurfers, kiteboards and sometimes when I have the pack in the back even the golf clubs go up there. 

Im a lot more concerned about the size and on that one you may well be correct, we will see, I may well just restore it (think I may enjoy that part of the project more than the actual flying) and let it go to another home or get an intermediate ship in the meantime.  I also had a friendly  nice invite from the guys at white sheet so I expect I would find one of those experienced guys to lob it off the slope and maiden it.

cheers

steve

pete beadle

Hi WSSoarer

Pat used to make these big 'uns to be carried in "standard" sized cars, so, for example there was always a four-piece wing option and/or plug-in tip extensions shown on the A5 size plan or some suggestions in the ickle destructions

I think your biggest problem is going to be the fin and, as this is a cross-tail, I know a couple of people who have made the fin two-piece with the join just above the elevator bellcrank 

I used to know a chap who used to come to Ivinghoe with his Pik 20 tucked in the footwell and the fin touching the rear window od his NISSAN MICRA......where there's a will, there's always a way:)

Also, have you ever noticed the fact that at scale comps the car park tends to be full of old Volvos? There's a reason for that.......

Best of luck

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Nicholls

Hi I sent this to the seller of this model

Hi, I have an identical one. This should help you sell it if you add to your listing. The model is a Pat Teakle ASW17 5m span and parts including the canopy are available from https://patteaklegliders.co.uk/ who provide excellent service."
Ian

Attached is plan/brochure

asw22_revised.jpg

Brochure ASW 17 Brochure.pdf

Wssoarer
3 hours ago, Nicholls said:

Hi I sent this to the seller of this model

Hi, I have an identical one. This should help you sell it if you add to your listing. The model is a Pat Teakle ASW17 5m span and parts including the canopy are available from https://patteaklegliders.co.uk/ who provide excellent service."
Ian

Attached is plan/brochure

asw22_revised.jpg

Brochure ASW 17 Brochure.pdf

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for that - fantastic. Other than pics i have yet to see exactly what i have to work with, i will pick it up on Thursday. Nice to see on the plans there is both flaps and retract as an option. Still first things first and see what condition she is in and take it from there. 

As you have one i will attempt not to hassle you to much when i get stuck into the renovation.

Cheers

steve