WMSA Cross Country at Crook Peak

tonym

After reading John Treble's article in the August 2018 BMFA News I thought I'd really like to have a go at cross country soaring. Several years ago I remember watching out for a cross country event at Ashdown Forest (I think) but the event didn't happen.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get down to Somerset and join in the West Mendips Soaring Association's Autumn open cross country competition on Sunday 16th Sept. I'll most likely take a DLG or two and my Phase 6 - I don't have many non-powered gliders.

The WMSA web site is here - http://www.westmendipsoaring.org.uk
The BMFA online version of the magazine might be here (I don't have the security horror that is Flash installed on my computer) - https://www.bmfa.org/The-BMFA/BMFA-News-Magazine

Who's up for something a bit different?

• 1 month later...

I'm here with the Phase 6, XXLite DLG and my foam ST-Models DG-1000. Took the DG-1000 up on the Razor this afternoon and had a blast in the breeze.

Weather looking OK for Sunday, hopefully any showers will stay away.

dg-1000_razor.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know how I missed you Tonym but I had one flight on the Razor just after the rain around 1pm Friday, then moved to the West slope as the wind was so far off. I won't be there for the XC though because I am all fired up for an F3F race the same day. Hope you have a great day!

Bruce.

….which gives me the opportunity to leap in to point out that the Crook Peak XC comps have been on exactly the same days as F3F races for the last three years!

I was really just checking out the route to the car park, I hadn't intended to fly until I saw your model in the air. I got up to where I thought you'd be but there was no one there so I thought you had gone off the hill so I just flew where I was. I didn't think to climb higher and go to the West slope - I needed to save my energy for Sunday too 🙂😞

Best of luck in the F3F event Bruce, I must try an F3F event sometime too.

4 hours ago, oipigface said:

….which gives me the opportunity to leap in to point out that the Crook Peak XC comps have been on exactly the same days as F3F races for the last three years!

Point taken, I will endeavour to avoid the clash next year when we have F3F dates.

What a day - I'm absolutely cream crackered! Winds must have been 15+, gusts to 20 perhaps, don't think I've flown in winds that strong on a big hill before, terrifying the first flight with my Phase 6, a little less terrifying the next three in the comp. First and second in the fly-off were no surprise, 3rd was a big surprise!

whataview.jpg

preparing.jpg

launch.jpg

rounds.jpg

flyoff.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on your unexpected final position in the event, Tony.

Back in the nineties, Gary (my son) and I, had a great time doing XC at Ashdown Forest.

Unfortunately, I was booked up for a non-flying event , involving a big hill, on 16th Sept, otherwise I might have  been interested in joining you. 

I am not flying much at all these days, but hillside events do occasionally get my attention. 

That slope in your pics doesn't look very moulded-model landing friendly! 

Jef

17 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

That slope in your pics doesn't look very moulded-model landing friendly! 

Jef

It was a worry when I went up there but the back (North side) of the slope is much less unfriendly, no problem with controlled landings. It is mainly the peak that is the rocky outcrop, though there are a few rock fields about too.

I had wondered about having one last fly on my way home. It was a bit windy so I didn't bother but the locals had a go!

https://youtu.be/BLDqPjf_EJw