Video for Opening Ceremony of F3F World Champs

Mark P

The organisers of the F3F World Champs at Rugen have sent me the following request for a video for the opening ceremony.

'We want the opening ceremony to be even better then the last one 2012 and would like you to produce a clip of 90 seconds especially for your nation. You can show your country in the ways you would like it to be seen and give a short impression of your F3F-scene. And the reason is, because you above everybody else know your country the best and how has to be represented to the world. I think to some typical landscapes, sights, F3F-spots and pilots.'

Anyone out there able to help with this?

Mark

Hi Mark

Would the requirement be the UK F3F scene in general, or based around the members representing the UK Team only?

Reason I ask is that a video I think captures well is this one on Vimeo 

Maybe Tom could provide an edited / reduced version if asked nicely🙂

I agree that Tom's vid includes some terrific flying, extremely well photographed and expertly edited, but does it "show ..(our)... country in the ways …(we)…  would like it to be seen and give a short impression of …(our)... F3F-scene."? I think not. For one thing: at 4m 25s, it is 3 times as long as what has been requested. For another: although for those who know, the site is obviously the Bwlch, but for those who don't, it could be anywhere.

It seems to me that producing a 90s video that does all that is asked for would stretch the ingenuity of the best advertising agencies in the world, and since (as far as I know) we don't have access to that sort of expertise, we are just going to have to do the best we can. My suggestion is that the 90s be built on the flying (and the home sites?) of the three members of our team. Tom's sequence of Joel in the video that Paul has proposed shows him at his best and could be included. There must be video available of Greg and Rich flying astonishingly fast and/or beautifully. (Don't take the next sentence very seriously, I'm sure there are better ways of conveying the localities from which the team members come!) These could be intercut with pictures of Mars Bars, computer systems and MKS servos for sale.

I'm not volunteering to produce this, because I haven't got the necessary skills, but I do think it needs a little thought.

I did understand the 90s duration, hence closing my message with....... 

"Maybe Tom could provide an edited / reduced version if asked nicely"

Its quite an ask at this stage isn't it!

I have no video skills at all but that video of the Nats from 2013 is the best quality footage of gliders going pretty quick I could find too. Surprising how little good footage there is so the chances of finding good footage of Joel, Greg and Rich going quick is slim I would say.

I wondered if we couldn't make use of still images and text with some short video clips. A tour of some of the F3F flying sites across the nations of GBR starting at the white cliffs (birling gap), long man, white sheet, long mynd, hole of horcum, bishop hill (if you want to be inclusive) and the amphitheatre that is the Bwlch (Kevin's photo of the wrecker captures it well) and a sheep. 

Then stills of the three team members, could we make use of some of Mike's excellent photos for people and atmoshphere? In fact you could just do a reel of Mike's photos to music! With some video clips extracted from the Nats video above as infill. But I think the places & people are somehow more 'representative' than watching planes go fast.

All to a backdrop of some atmospheric british music? A flying theme... The beatles - blackbird? Looking at the video at 2:12 long, 90 seconds isn't very long at all.

So no practical help at all but that's my two pence worth...

• Like 2

As mentioned photos vid clips anything showing our F3F sport venues and community i think they are looking on the lines to something similar to what you see on the eurovision song contest intros for each country. (and yes i do admit to watching it 🤐)

Do we know any one in our community that has the know how?  Mike shellim maybe?

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Phil Taylor, where are you?

Sorry John - of all the videos I've done, none are actual F3F racing. 

To do really good F3F footage you would need to be in the safety zone with the pilot & CD - i.e. getting in the way 

I agree that the brief for this video is UK country stuff too - obligatory shots of Union Jack, Big Ben, Bucks house, Queen waving  etc...

Needs to pull together material from various sources, other videos etc. Now then, who's done that? - that'll be Chris Lamming ("Ribs" on here) - he pulled together an English Open video from various sources last year. Re-edited version might be a good starter for whats needed...

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/6695-the-english-open-f3f-2017/?do=findComment&comment=151719

What's the deadline on this, anyone?

We have the English Open this weekend, which is an opportunity to get some more footage. This could be grafted with previous material from Tom's or my vid.

I have the software and a little knowledge, but available time is critical to what can be done. 

90 seconds sounds ok - it'll be a lot of cut frames to get it in, but it's doable.

Cheers

Ribs

• Like 3

hi ribs

im unaware of a deadline unless MP can confer. The WC kicks off early October so can presume before then.

Mike shellim has offered use of any of his historic photos.

Basic story, any ideas?? something containig our excellent venues and big comps that we are well known for, i.e. welsh open, eurotours, some history like the sub 30 day on the wrecker and so on ;) : http://www.rc-soar.com/gallery/2013/bmfa_l1/index.php

It would be nice to have a few volunteers to collaborate and create some diverse material - I think what would work well would be a better version of what we/I did for the EO, showing a kind of day in the life of an F3f event, seen from the view point of lots of different competitors coming from all areas of the uk, bothering to drive miles to make an event happen and make it special. The people that do this the most and are the most dedicated are probably the people who end up at the WC.

Would anyone else be willing to pick up a camera and tripod and shoot some footage to help out?

The kind of material I'm thinking:

People setting up models in their living room or workshop and generally fettling.

People practice flying - sometimes in terrible conditions

People doing long walks to far away hills, just to get their turns perfected

Putting airframe into a model bag

Testing servos and setting up a transmitter

Loading the car - background somewhere recognisably from different areas of UK

Stop frame material of journey to event

Setting up

a bit of racing 

Eating breakfast at 4am, looking like you are completely knackered!

camaraderie

etc

It's amazing what a few seconds of material, shot using different focal lengths and of the overall business of of what we do - not just the stuff in the air - that really make a difference. One of my favourite bits of the EO vid from last year was a brief shot of Graeme setting up a flag.

If you have a camera and an F3f model - have a think about it and give me a shout. It could be recorded at your convenience and doesn't need to be long or even on an actual day when you went flying - it could be completely staged!

Get in touch if you can help.

cheers,

Chris

My tuppence worth  - Looks like some great ideas coming forwards and I’m sure we will end up with a great 90second  video - there is already some good material to draw from.  

Some thoughts, having been to all the F3F WCs so far:

1) The audience who this will be presented to at the opening is predominantly F3F pilots and officials, so they know the game, models, fettling etc.  They will be interested in the types of slopes we fly, and a little about the general areas.  They will be entertained by F3F pilots having fun, and probably doing non-F3F things while waiting for conditions to be flyable - so they love to see a bit of combat/alula action/both!  They will probably like a bit of history (e.g. a reference to the 98 VR, which many remember as a classic event even after so many years).

2) Mike Shellim’s offer of some stills to interpose is a great idea, and he is the master of F3F photography (and even some of his ‘after competition’ photos might be of interest)

3) Probably 30-45 seconds could be spent on the team and TM, sort of introducing them to the other competitors.

4) Not sure whether you are allow to mention any sponsors in the video, but maybe there could be credits in the final 2-3 seconds

I have some video clips of previous team practicing, and some video of Greg flying his Salto, but not sure they are good enough to use as I’m not into filming!

Best of luck to whoever takes on the task, and I look forward to seeing the end result, I’m sure it will be something that team GB will be proud of.

Simon

Deadline is 31/08/2108

The organisers will provide some of their own footage if we do not provide anything.

I like the idea of a  montage of stills - Dave Woods produced one a few years ago after we went to California for the Davenport Slope Race in 1986. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Something similar on a shorter scale might be ideal

• Like 1

What about selfie type interviews of the team members, explaining why they love F3f so much. This could be cut together with photos and video that exemplify  the things they talk about.

Stupid question: Who's on the team?!

Sorry chaps, I've considered what I can do to help, but the time available is a bit of a show-stopper. Between the English Open this weekend and planning on being away over the back holiday, my opportunity to sit and edit F3f footage is very minimal.

Respectfully, bowing out.