Help Please looking for an F5J model

Bish3220

I’m looking for a new f5j model to build, One that nice to fly but don’t know witch one to get there are so many out there. Were I fly I need a strong construction the grass landing strip is ok but if you land short it is so sharp like pins go threw film. The prices are going up ever time I look at them even the shadow 2 is over £1000 now.

Regards Bish

Hi Pete

No good film cover wing I was looking at the Geronimo 2.5m or kappa 2.5 both are out of stock I did not won’t to go blow 2.5m. I may just go for show or kappa 3.5 or Explorer 2 ?.

Buy second hand?

You can probably source a decent mouldy with all the gear on board for about half what the equivalent new airframe will cost.

Try looking on this forum at the 'For Sale' section:

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8078-f5j-xplorer-2-37m-for-sale

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8322-xplorer-2-f5j

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8300-ava-hyper-pro-e-4mtr

Hi lkura

I have look at that Explorer 2 it dos not look right the wings my be ex2 but the body look like ex1 the tale is all moving the ex2 & 3 are not and the price is to hi for a damage plane.

Regards Bish  

• Austin changed the title to Help Please looking for an F5J model

If you are looking for the perfect secondhand F5J glider you probably won't find one because people who buy them fly them, and when you fly them they pick up dings and dents.

Why don't you just buy a new Nan Shadow 2 from Austin at:   https://www.acemodel.co.uk/shadow-2-f5j

You can take your time buying servos, motor and ESC and then you know everything is exactly how you want it.

Austin will also supply a complete wiring harness at £37 so it is all affordable:   https://www.acemodel.co.uk/wiring-harness-nan-models

If that is too much money then set your sights lower, or you will just have to wait for the right glider to come up.

• Like 1

I suppose by stretching things a bit you could possibly call a Geronimo 2.5 or Kappa 2.5  F5J gliders but anyone involved in F5J would probably be very polite and suggest you look at something a bit larger.

The Shadow 2 will slaughter either of those gliders for sheer versatility.  You can use the Shadow 2 for thermal or slope flying and it is very easy to fly.

The Geronimo or Kappa will cost less than the Shadow 2, but then you are getting a lot less.

11 hours ago, Ikura said:

I suppose by stretching things a bit you could possibly call a Geronimo 2.5 or Kappa 2.5  F5J gliders but anyone involved in F5J would probably be very polite and suggest you look at something a bit larger.

The Shadow 2 will slaughter either of those gliders for sheer versatility.  You can use the Shadow 2 for thermal or slope flying and when I was in Germany and flew both the Shadow 2 and Xplorer I was amazed at how easy to fly they were.  I preferred the Shadow because it just felt more 'planted' but that could well have been due to the way ithat particular one was set up.

The Geronimo or Kappa will cost less than the Shadow 2, but then you are getting a lot less.

Hi lkura

I was looking at the Geronimo & kappa because I have all the parts to put one in the air. If I go to 3 meter + I will need more parts.

Regards Bish

11 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Bish

It's much more likely that you'll find a Shadow, especially a Shadow 1 (they didn't call it that at the time, but I'm sure you know what I mean)

The original Shadow at 3.7 metres was THE goto F5J machine for years with good reason......:).

I've got one for F3J and have an "E fus" to suit, for me it's the best combination there is. I bought it for under £550.00 for the two - yes, really! -  and it's the most versatile combination there is (IMHO) So, they're out there. BTW I intend to keep mine 'til it dies.........:yes:

You just have to realise you can either have a pristine Mk 2 that's never been flown in a comp, or settle for a Mk 1 that HAS which will very possibly be scruffy and possibly repaired, the difference between choice one and choice two will be about £750.00.......you choose......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete

Thanks for that you got them for a good price.  

Regards Bish

One of the best behaved models I have ever owned was the Valenta Thermik Excel as pictured below. It was quite a heavy model, but it found lift and indicated it well, flew as if on rails in that lift, and always made it back to the field with ease. 
As it is considered to be too heavy to be competitive, you may find excellent examples of this model at a bargain price.
Be aware there are a few manufacturers that have used the same name (Thermik Excel) which is why I have posted a picture here... 

image.thumb.png.cb682242dcb7338248c736da06e76155.png