Sign in to follow this  
Wssoarer

Request for help with model identity

Wssoarer

Hi all,

i recently picked up a 5m plane from eBay under the belief it was a Pat Teakle ASW17, after discussion with a kind gentleman he queried if I was sure it was a 17 rather than a 15. Im

I am far from sure, so if there are any of you kind experienced scale pilots or Pat Teakle experts (maybe it's not even a PT kit) who could help tie down its real identity it would be much appreciated.

regards

steve

I can upload more pics when I have compressed them.

P1010063.JPG

P1010068.JPG

Gary B

Looks like a PT ASW 17 to me, I have one of his Vegas.

The ASW 17 is 20 metre span, at quarter scale a model should be 5 metres.

The ASW 15 is similar but has a high mounted wing and is only 15 metres span (3.75 metres).

If you didn't know ASW stands for Alexander Schleicher (the company) and Gerhard Waibel (designer).

I visited the factory once to collect a new ASW 27, fascinating.

Cheers

Gary

Wssoarer

Thanks Gary, 

i bet the visit to the factory was good, I have made similar visits when buying boats.

i think you are right and it is a 17 as it's 497cm tip to tip and the nose looks sharper than the 15 but being new to scale models it's nice to get a consensus.

it is due a full rebuild over the winter as it's a little less than pristine then lob it off the cliff next spring/ summer.

I had read about origins of the ASW and ASK designations - interesting thank you. I found it when I was tying to find the sizing for the flaps on the asw17 as I want to add them so it's more scale.

cheers

steve